BBB Accredited Business since 02/26/2004

Superior Systems

08/02/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I am writing this complaint on behalf of my mother,****** *******, who is an 84 year old widow. She lives at ********************************************** Superior Systems installed my mother's sprinkler system on 5-4-10. She has continued to use this company for winterization and summer start up, even though they charge $60. She was under the impression it would void her warranty if she did not use Superior Systems. Superior Systems performed the summer start up on my mother's sprinkler system on 5-7-13. She received a notice from Colorado Springs Utilities (CSU) on 6-8-13, accusing her of violating the water restrictions. The owner of Superior Systems, ****** ******** (****), came to my mother's house on 6-11-13 and checked the sprinkler system to see if there were any leaks. My mother received her utility bill while **** was present. He said nothing was wrong with the sprinkler system, and told my mother that CSU was taking advantage of her. My mother called CSU, to find out why her water bill was over $300. The representative from CSU told her she was using more than 100 cubic feet of water per day, and that she was watering her grass during the night on non-watering days. My mother advised the representative that her sprinkler system was set for Tuesdays and Saturdays, from 5:00am to 6:00am every day (according to Mr. ********).
After multiple conversations with CSU and Superior Systems, I turned the sprinkler system off (process of elimination). My brother and I documented the water meter reading for 24 hours. After 24-hours, my mother's water usage dropped to 8 cubic feet of water with the sprinkler off in comparison to 100 plus cubic feet of water prior to me turning off the sprinkler system. I also spoke to a CSU representative who was unfamiliar with our situation. She looked at my mother's CSU profile and advised that the excess water usage started on 5-7-13. She said my mother has been using more than 100 cubic feet of water every day since then. I called Superior Systems again, and spoke to Mr. ********' wife. I told her the water usage went down after I shut off the sprinkler system; and that CSU said the excess water usage started the day they started the system up on 5-7-13. The sprinkler system stayed disconnected until 6-21-13, and the water usage through 6-21-13 stayed between 8 to 21 cubic feet of water per day. Mr. ******** responded to my mother's house on 6-21-13. Mr. ******** told my mother that he checked the system and said there is nothing wrong with it. He turned the sprinkler back on, and left.
I received a text message from my mother on 6-24-13, advising that the sprinkler came on overnight, between 11:30pm and 9:00am, and used 89 cubic feet of water. At approximately 4:07pm, I received a distraught telephone call from my mother. She advised that Mr. ******** and his wife were at her house replacing the programmer. I heard a verbal altercation in the background. They appeared to be arguing about the water bill, and who was going to pay for the excess water usage. My mother put Mr. ********' wife on the telephone. I told her that we did not expect them to pay the entire utility bill; but that I did expect them to take care of the portion that dealt with the excess water usage. I also reminded her that she told me the sprinkler system was "still under warranty", and that they would "take care of everything if we found out the problem was related to the sprinkler system" during a prior conversation (on 6-18-13). She then told me that the sprinkler system is not under warranty. She advised that they were already coming "out of pocket $100 dollars for the cost of the programmer". According to my mother's contract, there is a two year labor and five year material warranty. This is a condensed statement, due to limited space. I can provide more thorough information when needed.

I will complete a waiver form once we are sure the problem with the sprinkler system is corrected. According to CSU, they will deduct some of the charges. I would like Superior Systems to pay the balance.

Mrs. ******* set an appointment with Superior Systems for May 7,2013 for the start up of her sprinkle system (includes; activating water to system, adjusting all heads, programming controller to set watering days). Did not hear from Mrs. ******* until June 10,2013, stating she had a large utility bill and a letter from Colo. Spgs, Utilities, saying she was using more water thati the water restriction where allowing. She asked if we would check for leaks in the system. Upon arrival that day, Superior Systems opened each valve manually. Had no loss of pressure on any one of Mrs. ******* 4 watering stations. No leaks at the valves. Found a small sweating drip at the 3/4” ball valve where plumbing exits the home (due to freeze damage, probably due to the very low and unexpected cold weather in May 2013), The warranty does not cover freeze damage (Superior Systems can not control Mother Nature). We replaced the ball valve at no charge to Mrs. *******. Costing Superior Systems, Service Call $60.00, Brass ball valve $18,00, total of $78.00. Knowing this small sweating drip was not the source of the large water usage. On June 15,2013 Mrs, ******* contacted use saying the water usage was still occurring. **** *******s worked Mrs. ******* in his busy schedule to Check system once again. At the cost of $60.00 for a service call. Found no leaks once again. At that time, Mrs. ******* Son, asked if we could check controller to see if it was programed correctly. Found controller to be programed incorrectly. **** *******s asked if someone has tried to reprogram the controller, or was there a power outage or power surg ? Mr, ******* (son) stated, no power outage nor power surg that he knew' of, But. he did try to program the controller to water less minutes per station. Unsuccessfully . **** ******* reprogrammed Controller to set watering days once again. Then asked that no one mess with the controller, so that we could trouble shoot this possible problem with the system. Also asked Mrs. ******* and her son to let us know if the system was watering at any other times other than watering days and times system was programed for. June 20,2013 call from Mrs. ******* Daughter, She said they had turn off the system at controller and there was less water usage, Superior System scheduled Mrs. ******* for the following day (June 21, 2013 ) at the cost of another $60.00 service call. Superior Systems Found that the controller had been unplugged at some time during the last 6 days in an attempt to shut of water source to system, and the programing of controller had been lost once again. At this time, Superior Systems felt this was not a warranty issue due to some one at the residents keeps messing with controller programing, Mrs. ******* was sent an invoice for a service call in the amount of $60.00. At that time . Mrs. ******* Daughter was advised by Superior Systems to call Colo. Spgs, Utilities and inquire about the main shut of for the property, and maybe the release valve on the hot water heater. Colo. Spgs. Utilities found nothing that would use that amount of water usage. Superior System responded again on June 24,2013, with a new controller by a different manufacture (Rainbird ESP), Checked existing controller before replacing it, and fonnd once again that the controller had been reprogrammed incorrectly. At that time we would not know if the Hunter controller was under warranty or not. It would have to be tested at the distributors. Superior Systems replaced controller at our cost, $60.00 service call and $ 100.00 for Rainbird controller. While **** *******s was installing the Rainbird controller, Mrs, ******* handed ****™s wife (*** ****** ) the phone and insisted that we speak with her Daughter (now known as *****a ******* ) Mrs. *****a ******* was yelling at my wife ( *** ****** ) about paying for there $ 300*00 utility bill, and threatening Superior Systems with reporting Superior Systems to the BBB, and KKTV. **** *******s reply was, Superior Systems has meet there responsibility in this matter by responding each and every time in a timely matter when Mrs. ******* called about this issue, and now replacing the controller at our cost, not knowing if the controller would be under a manufactures warranty until tested. My wife (*** ******) yes, upset at the time* handed the phone back to Mrs. *******, and at the time, stated (I can believe you are doing this to us Mrs. *******. We have done every thing to help you figure out what is going on with your watering issue. Superior Systems has always thought of you as a great customer. Superior Systems responded each time you called, We can not sleep at you home each night to watch your system, you have to be responsible for letting others try to reprogram the controller and unplugging the controller causing the lose of the program of the controller. We have already put out $ 358.00 to rectify this issue, and your Daughter threatens to report Superior System ?) At that time my wife left Mr. ****** residents, and Mrs. ******* followed my wife out to drive way, stating she did not know her Daughter (****** *******) was going to threaten us with reports to the BBB and KKTV. My wife Stated to Mrs. *******, (I do not want to talk to you about this matter any longer, I am upset and did not want to make matters any worse than already was.) **** *******s finished installing controller. Then spoke to Mrs. ******* and her son, letting them know that we would test the Hunter controller, if testing came back to be a default by manufactures it would be under warranty. But, if the Hunter controller tested out. It would not be a warranty issue. Also enplaning that when controller is unplugged or a power outage would cause the controller to automatically go back to a manufactures program, and he had a feeling that was what was happening. He asked them not to touch the new Rainbird controller at all! Please call first if this issue was still accruing. **** *******s also offered to pay a portion of Mrs. ******* utility bill, if the controller was manufacturers Default. The Hunter controller was taken to be tested. With in two days ( by June 26,2013 ) the Hunter Controller came back as working properly, and **** *******s installed that controller in his home to better yet, trouble shoot the controller. He had no problems with the programing of the controller. And is still operating his own system at tills time. Superior system deleted the $60.00 invoice billed to Mrs. ******* (sent copy of deleting invoice) and decided to not bill Mrs. ******* for the new Rainbird controller. Just chalking it up to keeping our customer happy, as Superior Systems always does. At this time Superior Systems has $ 358.00 in to this issue. Then July 3, 2013 receiving a phone message from KKTV complain center, **** returned phone call after the 4th of July holiday, explaining the controller had tested out to be in working order. **** still agreed to pay a portion of Mrs. ******* utility bill, just to rectify the issue. Superior Systems was waiting for some kind of paper work and/or statement from Mrs. ******* concerning the offer to pay a portion of her

Jul 171312:43p superior systems 7193808894 p.3
utilities. Superior Systems did not receive any type of paper work nor invoiced / billing from Mrs, ******* or KKTV complaint center. On July 10th 2013 Superior Systems received a letter from the BBB (dated July8th 2013) stating that *****a ******* had filled a complaint with them in behave of ***** ******* (her mother). We have “A” rating with the BBB and found this to be very upsetting and unbelievable after responding each time in a timely matter, and trying to settle this with our customer. Superior Systems Does not feel we have a responsibility in this matter, but will pay a portion only of the water usage. We will ask that Mrs. ***** ******* and Mrs. *****a ****** recant the bad reports to the BBB and the KKTV complaint center. Superior Systems will not be responsible for incorrect programming of a controller that was install 3 years ago, and worked with out fail until others tried to change the program of controller. Superior Systems will not send any amount of money until we have proper paper work and/or statement of signing off on this issue. Superior Systems is a reputable and family owned business whom prides them selves as providing quality work and great customer service. Superior Systems has been in business sense 1987 and wants to continue our good reputation in the southern Colorado area for years to come. Superior Systems feels we have been more than fair in addressing Mrs. ******* water issue, and complied with the ******* wishes at the best of our ability.

In an attempt to insure complete honesty and accuracy, I must make another correction to the response that was submitted on July 24, 2013. After reviewing the response letter, my mother (***** *******) advised that my brother (**** *******) did arrive in Colorado Springs on May 8, 2013. We do have copies of his airline tickets to confirm the date. He was present during the June 10, 2013 service call. My mother did not find any other inaccuracies during her review.

****** *******

To Whom it may concern; I have read and agreed to pay ½ of Mrs. ****** water abill, please give me a total and I will submit a check ASAP. To Mrs. ******. Thank you very much and sorry for any inconvisnece. Superior Systems Transcribed by BBB - ddc.

Landscape Contractors, Irrigation Systems & Equipment, Snow Removal Service, Landscape Lighting, Ponds, Lawn & Garden Sprinkler Systems, Water Gardens Fountains & Ponds, Patio & Deck Builders, Retaining Walls, Landscape Designers, Erosion Control