BBB Accredited Business since 08/25/2003

Import Specialty Auto Inc

07/02/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

After researching maintenance shops online I selected "Import Specialty Auto", located at ********* ************************************.

I needed new brake pads for my 2004 Audi A8. OEM Pads are difficult to find for that car so I ordered them online from Amazon. I called "Import Specialty Auto" on **ulder Street and asked them how much to install my OEM pads. **** told me the price and added,"We will only install your pads, if you purchase our rotors, otherwise we can't honor the warranty."

Okay I thought, so I brought them the sealed EBC "Red Stuff" brake pads, and left my $74,000 car at their shop.

Upon picking up the car, the squeal was VERY noticable from the rear brake pads. Having driven high performance cars before I know that for the first 200 miles or so there will be some squealing as the pads set.

But 3000 miles later the squealing is MUCH worse. Like a U.S. Navy SuperCarrier coming to a stop on wheels made of giant screeching chalkboards.

I felt that maybe it was time I brought my high-end performance vehicle back to the company I entrusted my life and the life of my family members in....

I brought the car in at 8:12 am 6/4/2015. 1 hour later, they presented me with a bill for $57.97

I asked the customer service manager, what is this? They told me I had brought them crappy pads, and that it was an excessive build up of paint that was causing the squealing. I thought huh, The top brake pads in the world and they fail after installation? He said yeah, and the technicians even went out of their way to spray some lube to stop the squeaking. I said why should I have to pay for something that is under warranty. He corrected me, saying he can't warranty something he did not order. I asked him then why have me buy new rotors when the old ones were fine. He smugly stared at me and said,"Miscommunication".

I couldn't believe it! I needed more information from the manufacturer on how $200 brake pads could fail so quickly after installation.

I drove back home and pulled out the EBC brake pad product box from December looking for manufacturer contact information. Having opened the package I noticed instructions for installation. I read the instructions. It said the technician should install these particular shims included with the kit. Looking under the instructions, at the bottom of the box - were the shims. Still unopened, in their clear little baggie.

So they did not bother with reading the directions provided from the manufacturer, and as a result destroyed the brake pads they installed.

I brought the EBC Brake Pad box with the unopened shims back to Import Specialty Auto. I waited for ten minutes while the "owner" ***** spoke to his underlings.

They seemed to be in a daze when they came out of his little office. I explained to him what I had discovered. He said it was installed properly. I asked him to read the small 70 word paragraph. I then pulled the unused shims out of the box and asked him,"Then why were the instructions not followed?"

He stopped for a moment, and then told me that,"We install all kinds of brake pads." I told him does that abstain him from the responsibility of doing work right, the first time." "You took my money. Because you did not do the work correctly I want my labor money ($173.91) back for the rear brake pads that Import Specialty Auto installed in December and the ($57.97) charge for your service "technicians" spraying stop-squeak to the improperly installed pads. He told me he will replace the brake pads ...

... for $230 + tax, of course.

I asked him flatly, "Why did you not do it correctly the first time?" He hesitated, then started with,"Manufacturers make all kinds of shims....."

I stopped him ... and thanked him for his time.

Seeing that ***** (The owner) from Import Specialty Auto was of no more use in solving the damage I left his shop to pursue MY families safety through alternate routes.

I want my labor costs refunded.

I want new brake pads to replace the ones that they destroyed. I will provide my Amazon.com receipt for this.

Please see attached online.

Would it not be easier to ask Import Specialty Auto for the serial numbers on the rotors they "installed"? How else would Import Specialty Auto warrant their products? Then we could verify beyond doubt.

When I received the used brakes back from Import Specialty Auto in December (After Installation), I did not know enough to see that the brakes in the box were brand new that they returned to me. When the new ones came from the brake manufacturer two weeks ago I compared them to the ones I.S.A. took off. They were identical in cleanness and grade. Not scratched and dirty like the ones I received from brakes plus on Monday.

I feel that at this time I am going to pursue criminal charges against Import Specialty Auto through County and State means. I don't have the time or forensic resources that Colorado Springs Police Department have at their disposal.

In addition to this I will commence charge-backs on my MasterCard through my Credit Union for the two charges. I will be satisfied after this.

I will update the manufacturer's companies/ consumer websites that are keeping tabs on this matter and will let them know what I have decided.

Thank you for your time ************** in this matter and I wish you the best of luck and a great summer.

S****************************************

Auto Repair & Service, Auto Services - Oil & Lube, Auto Services, Radiators - Automotive, Lubricating Service - Automotive, Brake Service, Auto Repair - Steering & Suspension, Auto Repair - Suspension, Auto Headlight Restoration, Auto Repairing - Foreign, Auto Repair & Service - Diesel, Auto Electric Service, Auto Diagnostic Service, Auto Air Conditioning