Christian Brothers Automotive - Colorado Springs

08/05/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I took a vehicle into this Christian Brothers on the recommendation of the car dealer I was thinking of purchasing from. I paid for a pre-purchase inspection to be performed to highlight any major issues. In the report, it was noted that the antifreeze was okay. It was not and had to be replaced. The report also stated that the timing chain needed to be replaced. When I asked the manager how much the timing chain would cost to be replaced he told me about $700.00. I was happy with that and it seemed a reasonable price to pay. I purchased the vehicle with this information. When I returned to get the timing chain replaced, the quote rose to $3500.00 for the job.When I called to try and resolve the issue, the manager told me that the parts would cost $700 but that he never gave a price for labor. He misrepresented this vehicle, and the actual price of the work. I now have a vehicle that is worthless, requiring work that costs more than it is worth. Obviously if he had given me a correct quote for the work, I never would have bought the vehicle. Who would buy a vehicle for $3000, that needed $3500 worth of work needed. This company misled me with incorrect information.
Product_Or_Service: Pre-purchase inspection

I would like the timing chain to be replaced for the price that the manager told me for $700.00. That was the price he told me, and the price that I was happy to pay originally.

Greetings, I am writing to you in responce to your inquiry ****** M *******. My name is ******* *****. I am the or complaint case #******** fot Mr. tore manager here at Christian Br^s.
Woodman location. I worked wi th Mr. ******* during his jvisitslto our store. His statement; of facts are relatively correct. He did bring a 1999 ford explorer to us for a Prepurchase Inspection on 6/3/14. The mileage at the time was 170,808 miles. Wjnen the inspection was completed the copy of the hand written inspection was given to Mr. ******** ^s well as a copy of the work order which had some specifics written for point of intesest regarding the vehicle. When vehciles are herefor such inspections I point out to prospective buyers that (We / I) cannot ethically recommend or not recommend to buy any vehcije inspected. The decison is solely responsibility of the buyer. We do not represent the seller or thd buyer in that manner. Thi; vehcile was visually pretty clean
The mechanic's notes on the work order were:
- The timing chain is making some noise and this could be require timing chain and guide replacement.
- The valve covers are starting to seep slightly
- The right front parking light bulb and one license plate bjuls are out
- The rear wiper blade is torn and streaking -The windshield should be replaced
- The brake fluid and the powersteering fluids should be
- Front and rear brakes have plenty of life and the rotors

When picking up the vehcile, these highlights were discu stressed the listed POINTS of interest. The first on the li discussion I was asked approximate cost I mentioned th
engine would need to be pulled out to do. No labor estimate was given specifically and no written estimates were given. We also discussed windshjelds, other repairs/fluids listed. I mentioned the vehicle was pretty clean. It looks and drole well..."everything works". This surprising with the age of the truck. From the conversation, both myself and my partner (\A was also engaged in the conversation) got the impression that this vehcile if purchased wo
the truck or not. We precieved Mr. ******* "Got the Mes: "Good Faith". I think Mr. ******* only heard what he war truck "As Is" and is now subject to buyer's remorse.
age. The information given was in :ed to hear. I suspect he bought t

On 6/7/14 Mr. ******* stopped back by the shop intending to have the timing chain set replaced. At this time I inquired of him if he was aware what kihd of job it is. He replied that had been "Youtubing" the subject and I replied that's good at least you have educated youiself with this job. At this time I did a written write up specifically al|| parts, labor, fluids etc. nee *** to complete the job. Sticker shock set in and Mr. ******* decided against the repair. I was shocked too. I was shocked so see he bought the truck knowing the timing chain issues, I wis shocked that after he educated himself with the job on (VToutulpe), that he really had no clue as to the time and expense pulling an engine would cost andjthe Costly parts involved. He indicated his frustration with the situation, I aploigized tojhim for his decision. I though he Had a
pretty clear understanding what a timing chain job mean his purchase inspection. Again I feel in the beginning witlj
******* truly heard what he wanted to hear. He saw a relatively: low cost, nice looking truck,clean inside and out, all intact, and accessories functioning. He probably thought initially "this is a find". He heard what he wanted to hear. ( We / |), I cannot tell someone to buy ot not buy just give them an idea as to the overall condition of tjje vehcile and what the posibilities that future ownership may entail. I would be more than tyappyto wprk out some labor discount to try to help Mr. ******* repair this issue.
rom

I am not surprised to see how Christian Bros have changed the facts to support their side of the argument.
First of all, NOBODY (or not a reputable repair shop) would only give a quote for parts. When I asked Mr ***** about how much it would cost to replace the timing chain, he stated "about $700.00." There was no mention of the engine being pulled out during our initial conversation on the 3rd, nor was there anybody else involved in the conversation. I believe that Mr. ***** gave an estimated price off the top of his head without confirming what engine was in the vehicle. The estimated price of $700 is an average cost of a timing chain replacement on a NORMAL engine, not this specific engine however.
It was not until I brought it in to get the timing chain repaired that the price of the timing chain fix rose to $3500. His own mechanic was walking by and was shocked to see the price of the repair and he owns the same exact vehicle!!
So I am not surprised that Mr. ***** did not know either what the cost would actually be.
This is what happened. I have no reason to deceive anybody. It would have just been nice for Christian Bros. to apologize for their mistake, and move on. I have learned my lesson for sure to get everything in writing and never trust a mechanic who is recommended by the people selling the car. I do not wish to pursue this matter any further with Christian Bros., as I have lost all trust in this company, and would not want them even touching a vehicle of mine. Unfortunately you have lost a customer for life.

Auto Repair & Service