Beginning January 1, 2002, the Texas Telemarketing Disclosure and Privacy Act went into effect. The Act enables the Public Utility Commission of Texas (PUC) to implement a statewide "Do Not Call List" for residential customers who wish to stop telemarketing calls to their homes. Under this Act, House Bill 472, consumers can add their name, address, and telephone number to state sponsored "No Call Lists" which will identify the consumer as someone who does not wish to receive telemarketing calls.
Two "No Call Lists" will be sponsored by the PUC. The first list, a statewide "Do Not Call List"
will apply to all telephone marketers operating in the state of Texas.
Registration is free if you register online; however if you mail or call in your registration, there will be a registration charge of $2.25 for each residential phone number to be included on the list. The phone number will remain on the list for a period of three years.
The second list will be the "Electric No Call List". This is to prevent calls only from Retail
Electric Providers (REPs) and telemarketers calling about consumers electric service. There will be a registration charge of $2.55 for each number placed on this list. Numbers placed on this list will remain on the list for five years. Both residential and business numbers can be registered on the "Electric No Call List".
There are several ways to register your number on the "No Call List":
1. Logging on to http://www.texasnocall.com provides an instant registration.
2. To register by mail, use the printable registration form at http://www.texasnocall.com or
request a registration form by calling 1-866-TXNOCALL (1-866-896-6225) or by writing: TEXAS
NO CALL, PO Box 313, E. Walpole, MA 02032.
3. To register by phone, call 1-866-TXNOCALL (1-866-896-6225).
Online and telephone registration must be paid by credit card. Mailed applications may be paid by personal check or credit card. Residential customers may register for both "No Call Lists" at a cost of $4.80.
The PUC has a contract with Gryphon Networks Corp. of Massachusetts to operate and maintain
the databases of both "No Call Lists".
It is the Bureau's understanding that this list will be updated on a quarterly basis. For example, if you haven't registered by the end of March 2002, your phone number will not be on the list until it is updated again at the end of June, etc.
EXCEPTIONS TO THE RULES
Telemarketers may contact customers
* with whom they have an established business relationship;
* if the customer requests contact;
* to collect a debt; or
* if the telemarketer is a state licensee (for example, insurance or real estate agent, etc.) and the call is not made by an automated device; the solicited transaction is not completed without a face-to-face presentation to complete a sales transaction and make payment; the consumer has not previously told the licensee that the consumer does not wish to be called.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE A COMPLAINT
File online at http://www.TexasNoCall.com; OR
Contact the Public Utilities Commission (PUC) Customer Protection Division, PO Box 13326, Austin, TX 78711-3326; OR Call 1-888-782-8477 (TTY 1-800-735-2988; OR email: email@example.com
As of June 2003, you can now register, free of charge on the National Do Not Call Registry, sponsored by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
Logon to http://www.donotcall.gov or call 1-888-382-1222.