BBB Accredited Business since 06/29/1995

Jupiter Aluminum Products, Inc.

03/24/2014Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Jupiter Aluminum said their Hurricane Screen would cover my kitchen window and extend below the counter top, it does not, it has failed inspections.
At the time of my purchase the Jupiter Aluminum Products, Inc Salesman told me that the Armor Hurricane Screen that I purchased for $1,520 would completely cover my kitchen counter window that is 4" X 15". The screen was to extend above the window and extend below the kitchen counter by two feet. The screen that they installed stops at the counter top, leaving a one foot high potential gap that wind and debris can fly into my home if there was a hurricane. Initial installation was done on May 14, 2013 and failed inspection two days later. After nine months of not getting the issue resolved, Jupiter Aluminum not showing up for scheduled appointments and evading the problem I told Jupiter Aluminum that I wanted project completed by February 6, 2014 or I would take action with county authorities. I had to pay for a new permit as the original had expired. The city of North Palm Beach did a second inspection on February 6, 2014 and the screen failed again. On February 7, 2014 the owner of Jupiter Aluminum called me and advised me that he did not need to make any improvement, that the city inspector was wrong and that I had an open balance of $429. I had with held the $429 on May 14, 2013 because the screen installed was 33% smaller than communicated by the salesman on April 3, 2013 when I signed the agreement and gave my initial deposit, if the screen was to end up smaller than there should be a material cost reduction, the screen material is very expensive.
To force Jupiter Aluminum to resolve the issues that city inspectors have failed twice I reported Jupiter Aluminum to the Palm Beach County Contractor Certification Department. That got their attention, they scheduled a meeting with the city inspector at my home on February 13, 2014. The inspector still refused to accept the issues with the screen and requested that Jupiter aluminum present proposed improvements that would make the screen a viable hurricane protection products.
We just hade the third inspection today, I do not think it will pass inspection this time either because it does not provide the coverage needed to keep my home safe in a hurricane.
After nearly one year I have had to pay $3,700 in increased hurricane insurance because the screen has failed inspection repeatedly.
The Jupiter Aluminum Products Agreement is a consumer disaster, it says that they can make any changes they want to the products if you agree or not, they are not responsible for any damage they do to your home, they did do damage that they will not repair. The agreement says that if they breach the agreement they owe you nothing other than to complete the job even if take a year to do a job that was to be done in 6 weeks.

I want Jupiter Aluminum Product Inc to install the screen that was proposed and agreed to by the salesman.
I want Jupiter Aluminum to pay for the $3,700 in increase insurance premiums that I have had to pay because it will be a year on on April 4, 2014.

In response to the complaint by this customer, there was a lapse in this job of approximately 4 months due to the fact that he never once was "available" when we called to come over. At one point we sent an installer over and he told them to leave, do not come back and get off his property. After that incident, we left and waited for Mr. ********* to call us when it was convenient for him. He called us 4-5 months later and asked us to come complete his job. Nowhere on his contract is a "due date" or does it state the Armor Screen is to cover his countertop. His job was measured and engineered the same as would have been done for my own home. I understand "the customer is always right" and that is why we made changes for him that did not need to be changed, but did so to satisfy him. In the meeting with the Building Inspector and the Palm Beach County Licensing Board, we all came to a mutual decision of what needed to be done. We made the corrections and it has passed inspection. The job is complete and the permit has been finalized. At this point in time, Mr. ********* has initiated litigation and is asking for $4,900 for his insurance payment. As you know, we have been in business for 20 years, have an A+ with the BBB and have thousands of very happy (and repeat) customers. Unfortunately, there are some out there who go out of their way to damage another's reputation for financial gain. We have a date for arbitration where hopefully this will be settled.

Shutters, Screen Enclosures, Siding Contractors, Roofing Contractors