BBB Accredited Business since 03/16/2012

A Plus Appliance Repair Service, Inc.

6 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

08/12/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Service Rep did something wrong during a preventive maintenance call, resulting in damage to my carpet and wooden storage cabinet.
We have been an A Plus customer for almost 20 years. On the Friday before Memorial Day weekend, they came to our home to provide routine, annual A/C maintenance. By Saturday afternoon, water was leaking the A/C flooding both the garage and living room. We called A Plus and asked for emergency service. On Monday someone finally showed up and found a block in the air handler, work that was presumably done Friday. By that time, my living room carpet was soaked, leaving stains where the around the sofa legs, and the veneer on a wood cabinet in the garage was peeling off the now warped base.

When I finally got through to owner **** ****** on Tuesday, he called me an idiot and hung up on me.

I'm not an idiot. I was a long-time, loyal customer and had nothing but exemplary service until this episode. I still do not understand ****'s bizarre behavior, for at that point, all I wanted was an apology. At this point, I would like my carpet cleaned and the ruined cabinet replaced.

Please note: I filed this complaint right after the incident, but for some reason the BBB rep said she could not find it. I say this not to criticize the BBB, but to indicate that I did not wait to file this complaint, and during the two months while I thought the BBB was reviewing it, I have not had the carpet cleaned or removed the cabinet, in case you needed evidence of the damage.

I would like A Plus to pay for my carpet to be cleaned and for the cabinet to be repaired or replaced.

Our service technician performed a preventative maintenance on the AC unit on 5/23/14. Routine drain line service was done.
Homeowner called over the Memorial Day Weekend Holiday for service. At the time of this call, the technician on-call had been rushed to the emergency room, therefore was not able to get to the homeowner's house at that time.
An important note: As soon as the homeowner realized their AC was leaking in garage and living room, they should have turned the unit OFF to stop the leak. If a homeowner is aware of a leak from ANY machine in their home they immediately and before any damage is done should turn it OFF so the leaking stops! This is a homeowner's responsibility and common knowledge.
On Memorial Day-Monday, our A Plus technician went to the homeowner's residence to perform an Emergency service call. (As it states on the written and signed Preventative Maintenance Agreementservice performed at Regular working hrs Monday thru Friday- not holidays) Let it be known, this was a NO CHARGE Service Call on a Holiday and the problem with the AC was taken care of.
A Plus is not responsible for any damage done to the homeowner's residence.

Yes, the technician performed preventive maintenance on Friday, 5/23. That was one reason we expected a speedy response when something was clearly wrong on Saturday and we called for emergency service, a service A Plus prominently advertises on its website. Please keep in mind I had numerous conversations with the A Plus answering service over the weekend as they tried to page a technician. They were aware of the flooding in my living room and garage. I was not told to turn off the AC. I was not told that service would be unavailable for two days. I believed A Plus was making a good faith effort to assist with a problem growing in severity.

One more detail that it is important to note - we started calling for emergency service on Saturday. The on call technician's medical emergency was on Monday, two full days later. We know this because when he arrived, he told us he had just come from the ER.

It is all well and good for Mr ****** to say he is not responsible for the damage to my home. Perhaps if the first technician had done the job correctly, the damage would not have occurred. Or, if A Plus provided emergency service as advertised, it would not have occurred. Or had the answering service instructed us to shut off the AC, it would not have occurred. Perhaps if they had told us straight out that emergency service was not available that weekend, we would have called another service. However, we relied on A Plus as we have for almost 20 years. We took them at their word, and for 48 hours, expected someone to call at any moment. We watched the water pool in our living room, and the wooden cabinet warp in the garage.

When I called A Plus the day after the holiday, I had actually expected Mr ****** to apologize for letting us down. After all, we started with him when he was just starting to build the company. I was unprepared for his personal attack and hurtful remarks. Perhaps Mr Greene believes his responsibility ends when the technician leaves, no matter what damages ensue, or how many times loyal customers reach out for help. I don't agree. Mr ****** may not be held accountable for how he treated me and my emergency, but his company should surely be held accountable for the resulting damage.

To clarifythe Technician on-call spoke to the Customer late Saturday May 22 and the Customer agreed that the Technician would come out Monday AM (Memorial Day). It was explained to the Customer that he had a medical emergency in which he went to the hospital Sunday (NOT Monday as Customer wrongly stated).
Also, as common knowledge would tell you, if you observe a water leak or pooling water occurring in your living room from your air conditioner you immediately turn it off (as stated in our previous response).
A Plus is sorry for your situation. Also, if you misconstrued the surprised reaction **** had as a personal attack, he is sorry. He was surprised that you didn't turn the AC off when you saw it leaking.
Any damage resulting from a water leak is not the responsibility of A Plus.

05/12/2014Delivery Issues | Read Complaint Details

Company promised to provide repair service and then after two scheduled appointments informed me they would not show up.
On Sunday, April 20 I contacted company regarding a problem with my washer. I asked them if they serviced my area (Miramar) and my washer make (Whirlpool). They told me they did, took my information and told me I would be called the following morning @8:00 a.m. to tell me what time the repairman would show up that day (Monday). They assured me I would be called and the repair would happen on that day. I took off work to be home for the repair. I did not receive a phone call. I called the company around 10-11 in the morning to inquire. I was informed then that they had tried the wrong phone number; they then informed me that they could not come out that day, but could come on the next day. I told them I could not miss work on Tuesday. We had arranged for first thing Wednesday morning (April 23). I inquired and was promised that it would be that morning. At 7:30 a.m. I received a phone call from the technician informing me it was impossible for them to meet their promised appointment. In sum, based on the promises made to me by the company, I missed a day and a half of work, and they never kept their promise of providing service. Totally unprofessional and unacceptable.

Fulfillment of promise...to show up and repair washer on April 23.

A Plus Appliance Repair Svc apologizes for this problem. There was miscommunication from both our weekend Answering Service and our office. Our Answering Service relayed the incorrect phone number as well. Miramar,Florida is out of our area of service. We attempted to assist this customer on a one time special occurrence but were not able to. We are very sorry for any inconvenience to the customer.
We provide Service to Broward County as far south as Davie/Cooper City and as far north to Boca/Delray Beach in Palm Beach County.

12/30/2013Problems with Product / Service
06/18/2012Advertising / Sales Issues
05/15/2012Billing / Collection Issues
04/20/2012Problems with Product / Service

Appliances - Major - Service & Repair, Duct & Duct Fittings, Heating & Air Conditioning, Air Conditioning Contractors & Systems