Black Hills Federal Credit Union

10/21/2013Delivery Issues | Read Complaint Details

I cannot even make a payment from an outside institution without being charged a fee or going to a separate credit union.
I have a credit card with Black Hills Credit Union. It has a **** dollar balance. Recently I earned some money and wanted to pay it off in its entirety. I do not live where the credit union is based, which is ************. I live in ***********. I went to the website to make a payment from my *********** checking account here. Much to my surprise, I could not do it. I thought this odd since EVERY OTHER bank I have ever been with, not to mention paying phone bills, electric bills, gas bills, etc all can take money from my checking account with ease. Aparently the credit union, a BANK, is unable to perform this simple task.

I called the Credit Union, sure that I was just making a mistake. I was informed by several people there, all of whom were nice and just doing their jobs, that indeed it is true. If I want to make a payment to my account at the credit union, they, as a financial institution cannot receive money from an outside source!!!

At this stage I feel I must reiterate that even the poorest website online can accept payments from a checking account. How odd that a BANK cannot. But we will come back to that....

I was given two options. First I could randomly go around the city until I found another Credit Union near me that was on the "Sharing Program". They could then take the money and I could have it put into my account in ************. Hmmm. So this entails finding a credit union near me (I called two before found one that was on the sharing program), going to a bank I am not affiliated with and making a deposit. Oh wait, I forgot, first I would have to go to ***********, get cash out and then take that to the bank, which I dont bank at, to make the deposite. Sounds like a real winner of an idea and VERY CUSTOMER FRIENDLY. Way to go BHFCU.

My second option was that I pay BHFCU ** dollars to debit my account since they are so far behind the rest of the developing world, they do not have the capabilities that most ** dollar websites have of taking money from a checking account. Now get this. Its not ** dollars to debit my account of ****. It is going to cost me ** dollars, it will cost me ** dollars for every ***. So to pay my own bill it would cost me almost *** dollars to pay my bill.

Oops, there was a third option. I could sign up for bill pay, then sign up for transfer between accounts and link my *********** account to the credit union and thus make the transfer. Sounds good right? Oops, didnt mention that I have to wait two business days for the "pending confirmation" then I have to wait while they send two test deposits and withdrawls to my account, then I have to verify those, then I can make a deposit. Pain in the *** but okay, right? Wrong. I wanted to pay off my card, which was *******. Sorry, cant do that. I can only transfer ***, or I face another fee.

Summery: I have never seen a poorer, more un-user friendly website in my life. One that literally sets up road blocks at every turn when it comes to simply trying to make a payment. One that is so far behind the rest of the internet world it is crazy. A bank that cannot take money from my checking account.

How sad.

t would be nice if this bank joined the rest of the universe and allowed payments to be made to credit cards from checking accounts. I have three other credit cards that I pay through my *********** checking account. Each takes me about 30 seconds to make a payment.

Business Response /* (**00, 5, 2013/**/07) */
Contact Name and Title: ****** ***** Manager
Contact Phone: ************ X ****
Contact Email: *****************
***************

Dear ****,

I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced while trying to make a same-day payment to your BHFCU **** recently. Unfortunately, at this time, we do not have the ability to take an account number over the phone to debit another institution, referred to as ACH Origination. We are looking into ACH Origination; however, we are not yet fully-equipped to offer this service. The options available in your current situation would be doing a cash advance at a Shared Branching location in your area, a payment over the phone using another debit/credit card for a $** fee per $*** transaction, or making a payment through your other institution's online bill pay. You can set up your accounts for "Account to Account" transfer through our online banking; however, the verification process may take a few days, and there are daily transaction limits set by our online banking provider. Our Shared Branching locations can be accessed through online banking, or by using our mobile banking application.

One option we have coming soon is Remote Deposit Capture. This will allow you to take a picture of a check with your cell phone using our mobile banking application, and the funds will be deposited into your BHFCU account. In this recent situation as an example, you would be able to take a picture of a check written from your *********** account and deposit the funds into your BHFCU share account to make your **** payment. This service will be coming out sometime in ********. There may be possible hold procedures which have not been finalized yet; however, if you have any questions after Remote Deposit Capture is released, please feel free to contact me.

I have tried to contact you by phone and have left messages this past week in an effort to discuss your options in more detail. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me directly at ************ ext. ****.

I appreciate your feedback, as we are always looking for ways to offer convenient services to our members.

****** *****
Call Center Manager
Black Hills Federal Credit Union

Credit Unions, Mortgage Brokers, Loans, Real Estate Services, Banking Services, Financing