It has been reported to Better Business Bureau that scammers are using phone calls, texts and emails to try to scam customers of WESLA Federal Credit Union, Chase Bank and Carter Federal Credit Union.
If you have received an anonymous text, email or phone call concerning any of these financial institutions, please DO NOT GIVE OUT PERSONAL INFORMATION. These financial institutions will never ask for private information over the phone or through an email or text message.
BBB and the banks are currently investigating the source of the scam and legal authorities have been notified and all three banks are reporting that personal information is secure at their locations.
BBB offers the following tips to avoid being taken by this type of scam:
- Never give personal information over the phone unless you have initiated the call and know that the person on the other end is from a trusted source.
- Never click on links from emails originating from unfamiliar sources. Delete unidentified immediately unless you know the sender.
- Monitor accounts regularly to be sure all transactions are correct.
- Report any incidents to your bank or financial institution as well as the Federal trade Commission immediately.
- Educate family and friends about the scam!