In Central Louisiana and the Ark-La-Tex

BBB Accredited Business since 12/16/2011

Mansfield Auto World, Inc.

12/16/2013Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Sales presentation not consistent with advertisement

Complaint: The price was considerably higher than the price listed on the web site and discussed on the phone. Manager's attitude was cocky.
We called about a **** ***** ******* **** *** that was listed by Mansfield Autoworld on Autotrader.com and was priced at ******** My son first called 3 weeks ago. I called again on Nov. 8, letting the salesman know that I was interested in the van, but would be out of town for a week, and would call to see if the van was still available when I got back. I called again on Nov 18. When I talked with the Internet salesman on the morning on **** *** he confirmed the price of $21,988. We drove 5 hours to go purchase the van. When we got there, the salesman was very nice and accommodating. We looked the van over, test drove it, and waited while the sales manager drove the van that we were planning to trade-in. When the salesman came back with the price, it was $24,899 - ****** more than the price we had discussed. When asked about the discrepancy, they said that there was a disclaimer on AutoTrader.com allowing them to change the price without notification. He claimed that the price had been changed on **** ** but I talked with the salesman on **** 8, and again on **** ** and both times, the price discussed was ******** I specifically asked about the price on **** *** as I was planning to make make a 5 hour trip to purchase the van, and wanted to be sure of the price. When I questioned the discrepancy in price, the salesman went to talk with the sales manager. During the conversation, we overheard the salesman tell the sales manager that we had not discussed price. The sales manager came to talk with us and told us that they had paid over $25,00 and that we could not expect him to take almost a ****** loss on the vehicle. His attitude was very cocky. He acted as if we were asking him to do something that was completely unreasonable. When we reminded him that they had had it listed for ******** he replied that the price was determined by the market. He disregarded the fact that he was willing to take ******* 2 weeks ago, but now was unwilling to do the same. I acknowledge the fact that they have the right to change the price on their vehicles, however, it is inexcusable for a salesman to verify one price when he is aware that the price has been changed to $3,000 above the discussed price. This was misleading. As a result, we drove almost 500 miles and incurred the costs of a motel room, gas, and meals. Had the salesman told me that the price had been raised, I would not have made the trip. We had cash money with which to make the purchase and would have known that we could not pay the price they were asking.

Mr. **** is correct as to the price of the J 5 passenger *** being ******** We had 2 vans in stock, one being a 12 passenger *** the other being a 15 passenger. Prior to October
22nd the price of the van was ******** It was marked down on the **** to ******* by
mistake thinking it was the 12 passenger **** The mistake was caught and changed to a price o ******* on ******** *** Per Mr. **** 's notes he called the day after the change, unfortunately his sales rep did not know about the change. Mr. **** also called on
November 18th before he drove to Mansfield. As per our recorded system, price was not discussed . He did state that he saw the van was still on our website and since he had a certain amount of cash to deal with, would we consider looking at his trade. It is never our intention to misrepresent or mislead a customer. Our sales rep probably should have rechecked the price before Mr. **** drove to Mansfield. Mr.**** should have been able to see the price change on the internet as well. We did make an offer to Mr. **** to adjust the sale price by **** and increase his trade appraisal by $250. This did not meet his budget range there fore he passed ** the offer.

03/26/2013Problems with Product / Service