I went there today complaining of an unusual noise from the left rear tire when driving at high speeds on the freeway. I also asked for a tire rotation. ****** told me that the noise was because my front struts had allegedly "exploded." He told me to go to Pep Boys under that warranty. After Western Tire rotated my tires, I noticed that the noise was now on the left FRONT tire, proving that the problem was actually the tire, as I suspected. I returned to Western Tire. ****** was condescending and mocked me. He claimed that the tire was "cupped" and blamed it on my alleged failure to rotate my tires. When I said that I'd gotten rotations, he then blamed it on the bad front struts and claimed that would make the alignment go bad, causing this problem. Since this was originally a BACK tire, and I have a front wheel drive, front struts would have nothing to do with it... anyway, I went to Pep Boys, and they showed me under the vehicle that only the right front strut was bad... the left was FINE! (Western tried to talk me into replacing a perfectly good strut.) In addition, they examined the tire and informed me that the tire was "separating" and this could ONLY be caused by a defect in the tire. Yet Western Tire and ****** refused to honor the warranty, even though I had bought 4 new tires one year ago. This is not only bad faith and bad business, but fraudulent to avoid covering it under the warranty.
Left front tire needs to be replaced at store's expense.
Hello, just a quick note before we respond!!!!! This is the first time in 38 years of business that one of our customers has contacted the B.B.B.in a negitive manner!!!!! A fact we are very proud of! *** **** had purchased tires from us on a few occasions ! On 03/31/XXXXX invoice # XXXXXX *** **** purchased 4 tires!!! At that time we had informed her she was not rotating her tires, causing choppy wear on her previous set!!!! At that time we still warantied her tires, she received $135.00 off a new set of tires!!!! Written right on her reciept and rotation card it states no warranty without rotation!! She has not returned once in one year of driving for our free service!!!When *** **** came in last week she complained of noise from her tires!! We noticed the same negligence!! Tires have not been rotated!! She had claimed that someone else had been doing that sevice!! She could not show prove of that!! Yet the tires show no sign of rotation!!! the same choppy wear has developed on the tires!!!At that time we took the car for a road test and noticed the severe clunking coming from the front end. Her strut bearing plates were broken causing the struts to shift back and forth while driving, the rf strut was leaking fluid, the alignment is severly out of spec because its changing as she is driving causing the tires to wear unevenly. The only response that she wanted to hear was that we would replace her "defective" tires for free. She lives in her car and we understand she is having a tough time!! Her car is in need of repair. The problem with her tires is caused from lack of rotation and maintanence on her car!! We see no sign of tire separation!! the sad truth is tires will wear from mechanical problems and lack of service!! Tires do not wear unevenly by themselves!!! Vehicles wear tires!!!I hope this explains the situation!!! please call ***** Ceo Western Tire co inc. if you have need of more informantion X XXX XXX-XXXX case#XXXXXXXX
(The consumer indicated he/she DID NOT accept the response from the business.)
First of all, I am not 'living in my car,' and writing such a thing on a public forum shows total unprofessionalism by ***** the "CEO."
In addition, I HAVE rotated my tires and absolutely can prove that. I had an oil change at Galpin Mazda and THEY rotated my tires. Nowhere on the warranty does it say that rotations have to be done by Western Tire. They, of course, offer rotations for free, but I am also free to get rotations ANYWHERE, as long as I get rotations.
Then when I got a oil change at a place in North Carolina just a few months ago, THEY also did a rotation for me. So I've had TWO rotations in the last year, which is certainly enough to comply with the warranty requirements.
In addition, my claim is now actually that I want my $300 back entirely. The manager at Pep Boys inspected all 4 tires, and then looked at the sticker inside my passenger door and informed me that Western Tire, allegedly experts with tires, installed the WRONG TIRES! The tires they sold me are not even to specifications for my vehicle.
Western Tire installed a T rated tire, when my car MUST have an H rated tire. Therefore, the tires they sold me and installed were insufficient for my particular vehicle and NOT per manufacturer's specs. As such, I am now being forced to buy FOUR NEW TIRES only one year later, which I should not have to do.
At first, I would have accepted them replacing the one defective tire... but now discovering that they sold me the wrong tires entirely, I want a full refund, and I will buy my tires elsewhere.
This is what happens when you support a local business rather than going to a national chain. When you actually need a warranty honored, they deflect all responsibility and play games.
In terms of them not having complaints, that's simply not true. If you go to Yelp, you will see other customers who have complaints with them. Just because they don't take the time to go to BBB doesn't mean there aren't disgruntled customers.
Based on how I was treated by ****, who literally was making faces at me like a two-year-old, I am horrified that the owner responds like this.
Pep Boys honored THEIR warranty and took care of the struts. They made it clear that Western Tire is 100% responsible for failing tires. Certainly on a front wheel drive, a right front strut has NOTHING to do with a left rear tire, and to suggest otherwise is insulting to anyone with intelligence.
If Western does not want to refund my $300, I will be happy to take them to small claims court. Promise.
Final Business Response
Please have *** **** send us her address, So we can refund her purchase of $300.00. We should have offered her a refund at the time of her complaint! Sincerly ***** Ceo Western tire co.
Final Consumer Response
From: "**** Management" <****@wolfmgmt.com>
To: "Better Business Bureau" <*************@bbb-email.org>
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2013 5:09:08 PM
Subject: RE: BBB Complaint Case#********(Ref#XXX-XXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX-X-XXXX)
I'd like to add another comment to this situation. I've now consulted with MULTIPLE automotive experts, including three separate Pep Boys locations, and even the repair shop at Galpin Mazda. All of them have agreed that:
1. Western Tire put the wrong tires for $300 on my car one year ago. They sold me tires that aren't even to spec for the vehicle. The tires do not meet the weight/speed requirements for my car. As alleged experts, Western Tire should have known this. I could not have been expected to know this as a layperson. Therefore, the tires failed because they were insufficient for my vehicle. Everyone has concurred that, not only is the one tire cupping due to Western Tire's negligence, but actually all four tires are in serious need of replacement already because they were the wrong tires.
2. Nowhere on Western Tires' paperwork does it say that rotations must be done at their facility. It merely says that rotations are required for the warranty to be honored. I had rotations done at Galpin Mazda, and then at a place when I was in North Carolina in February. Obviously if I was across the country, I could not possibly have gone to Western Tire for the rotation!
3. The instant I returned to California in March, I went to Western for the third rotation in one year. Their refusal to honor the warranty is fraudulent, and since they sold me FOUR TIRES that were wrong for my vehicle, I want my $300 back, since I now have to go buy four tires all over again. This time I will not buy from Western, but rather, from Costco where they actually honor warranties.
4. Not only was I treated with tremendous disrespect and mocked by ******, but *****'s public statement that I've been living in my car is a lie. My car was full because I was in the process of moving. I ask that his statement be deleted from your website, and also ask you to recognize that this is simply more evidence of the lack of integrity by this company.
5. If they do not refund my $300, I will absolutely file a small claims action and ask the Bureau of Automotive Repair to investigate their business practices as well.