***** *** did not follow up with me at all after I paid $96 for 2 background checks. They kept putting off an answer to my application.
I applied for an apartment at *************************************** with my boyfriend on 9/17. We each filled out the application and paid the $48 for a background check. We were told we'd be notified in a few days about our status. We emailed our contact every few days for an update but we were consistently told "the owner is still reviewing the applications". The listing remained up, even past the desired occupancy date of 10/1. The property management company has not reached out to us at all and takes several days to respond to our emails and calls. I have asked for a refund of both background check fees (since I have no way of knowing if they were even done) and advised our contact that I would be filing a complaint with the BBB if we did not receive some resolution.
I would like the BBB to use whatever leverage it can to have the 2 charges of $48 refunded to our original method of payment.
Thank you, BBB, for your attention to this matter.
As you know, this relates to our Professional Property Management of another Owner's Property.
As this is not our Property, it is up to the Owner, via the Application Process, which includes Credit Reports, and follow-up Details regarding the particulars of an Application, to decide as to which Prospective Tenant the Owner shall accept as their Tenant, to reside in their Property.
This is not our decision. This is not our Property.
Please allow us to detail our history with the party filing the Complaint, as follows:
The claim made by this applicant which states that "***** *** did not follow up with me at all" is completely false.
Email records prove that for every email submitted by ********* and/or her husband, ******, the applicant received an email response either the very same day or the following day.
Here is a quick timeline:
We held an Open House for this unit on Wednesday, September 16, 2015. Both ********* and her husband attended this showing.
********* ******* submitted her application on 9/17/2015 and her husband submitted his application on 9/16/2015.
On Friday, 9/18/2015 the prospects emailed our office asking for a "time table and selection process for the property" to which we responded on the same day that applications would be forwarded to the property owner for review and that another follow up would occur the proceeding Monday.
The prospects emailed on Monday 9/21/2015 asking for any news. We responded with a phone call the same day to advise them that the owner was still reviewing applications. Several applications had been submitted and each one takes time to thoroughly review.
The prospects sent another email on Friday 9/25/2015 asking for an update.
We responded via email on 9/26/2015 stating that unfortunately the owner had still not made a decision and that he was considering several applications. It was also noted to the applicants that should the owner reach a decision, we would let them know.
During the following days we made several attempts to follow up with the property owner but as he was out of town for a considerable amount of time, there was an extended delay in the owners response to our follow ups.
On 10/6/2015 the prospects emailed our office requesting a refund of their application fees, claiming that their money was taken "fraudulently". Again, this is completely false.
Part of the application fee goes toward the cost related to pulling a credit report.
The Credit report for ********* was screened on 9/18/2015 and the Credit Report for ****** was screened 9/17/2015.
Additionally, there is office time required for the collection, review, and packaging of applications to be presented to the owner.
Ultimately, the owner makes the final decision on the applicant selected. We made every effort on our end to get an answer from the owner and at every inquiry from ********* and ******, we advised them of the same information available to us.
As we all know, some Rental Applicants are turned down, some Rental Applicants are, at times, still being decided upon, and in any case, the State Law of California, along with the California Association of Realtors, dictates that the Owner of the Property shall make the final decision, regarding their own Property, or direct otherwise.
In this case, the Owner of the Property makes his own decisions.
The Complaining Party submitted Applications on her own free will, and now, at the 11th hour, wants to reverse her decision, perhaps changing her plans, or for whatever reason, wants a refund.
The work was clearly performed regarding those Applications, and no refund is due.
The timeline above is clear, and, again, the Owner makes the final decision, not us.
We hope the above is clear and concise, please let us know if there are any questions.
We appreciate your time and consideration,
Thank you, BBB,
***** *** Associates