My Chevrolet

04/24/2015Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

I was sold a "new car" when the dealership was aware of the previous damage and consciously paid to repair the vehicle prior to my purchase.
My name is ***** ***** and I recently bought my first brand new car from MY Chevrolet in Salinas, California on March 22nd, 2015. I have had my eye on this particular vehicle for a long time, as it has taken me over 5 years the save up enough money to purchase this vehicle. I am a General Manager at a Verizon Wireless, so I was excited to receive a supplier discount on this vehicle because of our corporate partnership.

After trading in my Honda Civic that I had for 12 years and paying $30,781 cash, I drove my dream car of the lot.

Two days later, on March 24th, I noticed a weird looking dent on the bottom of the right door panel. I called the dealership the next day to inquire about potentially getting it buffed out and purchasing a $500 paint and interior protection package.

When I arrived at the dealership on March 25th, I met with Adrian from finance. He informed me that the odd looking dent was the reminisce of a previously larger dent being pulled out of the door. He told me that the previous owner must have had it repaired. I explained to him that it was a 2015 Camaro that I bought brand new from his dealership. He said it was possible that the car was a "dealer trade" that was previously damaged from another dealership. I told him that my sales representative, ****, assured me when I purchased the vehicle that it was NOT a "dealer trade". Adrian said that unfortunately there was nothing they could to do to fix the dent and that I would "have to train my eye not to look at it. He also added that "the car would eventually get a dented anyway". I was appalled by his rude and insensitive responses. At no time during my interaction with Adrian was he empathetic or concerned with the condition of my brand new car.

Since Adrian could not provide me with a solution, he called his boss, ****** ****** who was one of the Sales Managers at the dealership. ****** greeted me and told me he would look into the situation and call me back with a resolution. He reassured me that he would do whatever he could to "make this right".

****** called me the next day (March 26th) to inform me that his dealership did, in fact, pay a company named "Dent Pro" to try to fix the dent. This was extremely concerning to hear as a consumer who just paid over $30,000 cash for a previously damaged car. Whether it was a lack of integrity or dealership communication, I was very disappointed that my experience of buying my first new car was such a bad one. I asked ****** why Chevrolet would consciously repair a damaged car and sell it as "brand new" without disclosing it to the customer. I voiced a concern to him about how long and hard I had to work in able to afford to pay cash for this "new car". ****** told me "it doesn't matter to us if you pay cash or finance the car". He offered to pay "Dent Pro" to come out to my house to try to repair the same dent! I asked ****** if there was anyway to return the vehicle or exchange it for a new one. He told me that he could not exchange it because of the deal I got, but he would "cut me a check for a full refund and return my Honda" to me. I thanked ****** for a quick resolution and accepted the offer for a full refund, but explained that all I wanted was the "new Camaro that was promised to me", and nothing more. He told me he would have his General Manager, **** ***, call me back that day with a resolution.

I did not hear back from **** the next day, so I called ****** again on March 27th to inquire about the delay. He explained that **** was in meetings for the last two days and would get back to me as soon as possible. As a General Manager myself, I tried to be as patient as possible, but didn't understand how such an important matter was not urgent to upper management

I finally head back from **** on March 28th. Although he denied to refund my money like his subordinate offered, I felt like he cared about rectifying the situation because he offered to take door off of another "new" Camaro on the lot in order to replace my door. Reluctantly, I obliged because I just wanted to drive off the lot with the new car that I was promised!

During this horrible ordeal, I have been very patient and professional. I expected that a General Manager, like myself, would do anything he could to rectify the potentially negative experience without tarnishing the brand that they represent.

I drove from Monterey to the dealership in Salinas for the third time, to pick up my Camaro, and I found my passenger **** replaced as promised, but my fender was dented and and my back quarter panel and passenger **** both chipped of paint.

The General Manager, **** ***, said "that could have been there before you gave it to us". I explained that he looked at the car prior to me leaving it with him and he did not voice any concern prior to doing so. He apologized again for the inconvenience and offered to try to fix the ongoing issues.

I am writing you to voice a concern regarding the lack of professionalism and integrity I have constantly experienced with this dealership. Instead of buying the car of my dreams, I have been going through a nightmare of repairs and replacements. I looked forward to buying this car for years, and now I don't even look forward to driving it anymore. With all of the unnecessary repairs, I feel like I spent almost $32,000 for a used vehicle.

I have reached out for help from the General Manager of the dealership as well as a "Senior Claim Manager" from the Chevrolet corporate office, but have unfortunately not heard back from anyone regarding a resolution.

Please advise.

Thank you for your time.

***** *****

Originally came to agreement with customer to replace previously damaged door. After door replacement, customer arrived to pick up car and noticed a slight ding in fender that neither him nor I had noticed previously and a small scratch in rear quarter panel. Customer was reasonably upset, offered customer alternative transportation while vehicle was being repaired. Ding and scratched were both repaired, but customer still not satisfied. Due to circumstances, dealer offered to refund customer his money and allow customer to return vehicle. Refund was issued to customer 4/9/2015.

Auto Dealers - New Cars