Consumers advised to get a contract, set clear expectations when hiring a lawn service
As the temperature continues to warm up, homeowners may consider hiring a lawn service to rejuvenate their lawn and take care of routine chores like lawn-mowing, landscaping and trimming. While hiring a lawn service or landscaper can ease the burdens of caring for a yard, Better Business Bureau advises consumers to get clear, written expectations for what services the company will provide for the agreed-upon fees.
BBB offers the following advice to help consumers find a lawn care company they can trust:
· Know what you want from a lawn service. Lawn care companies provide many services, so it is important to decide what services and products are appropriate for your needs and budget.
· Find a trustworthy company. Utilize BBB’s online directory of Accredited Businesses to find a company you can trust. Check out any company’s BBB Business Review at www.richmond.bbb.org to see important background on the business, such as how long they’ve been in business, ownership information and how they resolve complaints.
· Check references. Ask the company for references and photos of previous jobs done. Call all references and ask what their experience was working with the company and if they were satisfied with the services provided, and make sure the references have a similar scope of work.
· Ask for a lawn inspection and free estimate. Lawn care companies that quote a price without seeing your lawn cannot be sure what you need. A company should be willing to visit your home to provide you with the most accurate estimate.
· Get a written agreement. A contract should clearly state the services you will receive, guarantees and refund policies, as well as how and when payment will be handled. If you are contracting for a recurring service, the contract should also include how often the company will come out to service your lawn, how to cancel the services and a schedule for when payments are due.
About Better Business Bureau:
BBB's mission is to be the leader in advancing marketplace trust. BBB accomplishes this mission by creating a community of trustworthy businesses, setting standards for marketplace trust, encouraging and supporting best practices, celebrating marketplace role models and denouncing substandard marketplace behavior.
Businesses that earn BBB Accreditation contractually agree and adhere to the organization's high standards of ethical business behavior. BBB is the preeminent resource to turn to for objective, unbiased information on businesses and charities.