This business is not BBB accredited.
Phone: (540) 659-6900 Fax: (540) 720-7874 2610 Jeff Davis Hwy, Stafford, VA 22554
BBB Business Reviews may not be reproduced for sales or promotional purposes.
Full Service pet store, uhaul truck rental, pet grooming and boarding, exotic animals(USDA cert.), fresh and salt water fish and puppies, small animals and reptiles
View Business Review Inquiries
This business is not BBB accredited.
Businesses are under no obligation to seek BBB accreditation, and some businesses are not accredited because they have not sought BBB accreditation.
To be accredited by BBB, a business must apply for accreditation and BBB must determine that the business meets BBB accreditation standards, which include a commitment to make a good faith effort to resolve any consumer complaints. BBB Accredited Businesses must pay a fee for accreditation review/monitoring and for support of BBB services to the public.
Reason for Rating
BBB rating is based on 13 factors. Get the details about the factors considered.
Factors that raised the rating for Pets Plus, Inc. include:
- Length of time business has been operating
- Complaint volume filed with BBB for business of this size
- Response to 1 complaint(s) filed against business
- Resolution of complaint(s) filed against business
Industry Ratings Comparison
Customer Complaints Summary Read complaint details
|Complaint Type||Total Closed Complaints|
|Problems with Product/Service||0|
|Total Closed Complaints||1|
Customer Reviews Summary Read customer reviews
|Customer Experience||Total Customer Reviews|
|Total Customer Reviews||1|
Type of Entity
Business ManagementMs. Bonnie Hickey, Owner
Pet Supplies & Foods - Retail Pet Grooming Pet and Pet Supplies Stores (NAICS: 453910)
Hours of Operation
|M||:||9:00 AM - 8:00 PM|
|T||:||9:00 AM - 8:00 PM|
|W||:||9:00 AM - 8:00 PM|
|Th||:||9:00 AM - 8:00 PM|
|F||:||9:00 AM - 8:00 PM|
|S||:||9:00 AM - 8:00 PM|
|Su||:||10:00 AM - 6:00 PM|
Refund and Exchange PolicyNo refunds after 7 days. Store credit only, must have receipt. No refund on live animals, fresh water and salt water fish. All sales final on clearance items.
Service AreaNorthern Virginia
Customer Review Rating plus BBB Rating Summary
BBB Customer Review Rating plus BBB Rating Overview
THIS LOCATION IS NOT BBB ACCREDITED
2610 Jeff Davis Hwy
Stafford, VA 22554 (540) 659-6900 Directions
What is a BBB Business Review?
We offer free reviews on businesses that include background, licensing, consumer experience and other information such as governmental actions that is known to BBB. These reviews are provided for businesses that are BBB accredited and also for businesses that are not BBB accredited.
About BBB Business Review Content & Services:
Some Better Business Bureaus offer additional content & services in BBB Business Reviews.
The additional content & services are typically regional in nature or, in some cases, a new product or service that is being tested prior to a more general release.
Not all enhanced content & services are available at all Better Business Bureaus.
Types of Complaints Handled by BBB
BBB handles the following types of complaints between businesses and their customers so long as they are not, or have not been, litigated:
- Advertising or Sales
- Billing or Collection
- Problems with Products or Services
- Guarantee or Warranty
We do not handle workplace disputes, discrimination claims or claims about the quality of health or legal services.
BBB Complaint Process
Your complaint will be forwarded to the business within two business days. The business will be asked to respond within 14 days, and if a response is not received, a second request will be made. You will be notified of the business's response when we receive it (or notified that we received no response). Complaints are usually closed within 30 business days.
What is BBB Advertising Review?
BBB promotes truth in advertising by contacting advertisers whose claims conflict with the BBB Code of Advertising. These claims come to our attention from our internal review of advertising, consumer complaints and competitor challenges. BBB asks advertisers to prove their claims, change ads to make offers more clear to consumers, and remove misleading or deceptive statements.
What government actions does BBB report on?
BBB reports on known government actions that are relevant to the business's marketplace dealings with the public.
BBB Reporting Policy
As a matter of policy, BBB does not endorse any product, service or business.
BBB Business Reviews are provided solely to assist you in exercising your own best judgment. Information in this BBB Business Review is believed reliable but not guaranteed as to accuracy.
BBB Business Reviews generally cover a three-year reporting period. BBB Business Reviews are subject to change at any time.
Complaint Trends - Last 3 Years
Customer Review Trends
BBB Customer Review Rating plus BBB Rating Overview
BBB Customer Reviews Rating represents the customers opinions of the business. The Customer Review Rating is based on the number of positive, neutral and negative customer reviews posted that are calculated to produce a score.
|Customer Review Experience||Value|
|Positive Review||5 points per review|
|Neutral Review||3 points per review|
|Negative Review||1 point per review|
BBB letter grades represent the BBB's opinion of the business. The BBB grade is based on BBB file information about the business. In some cases, a business' grade may be lowered if the BBB does not have sufficient information about the business despite BBB requests for that information from the business.
BBB Letter Grade Scale
Star Rating scale
BBB Customer Review Rating plus BBB Rating is not a guarantee of a business' reliability or performance, and BBB recommends that consumers consider a business' BBB Rating and Customer Review Rating in addition to all other available information about the business. If the BBB Rating is NR then only Customer Reviews are used for the Star Rating.
Read Complaint Details
Complaint: On July 14, 2015, my wife purchased a Pug/Pom mix as a gift for me. The puppy was taken to the vet the same day and initially treated for a cold. When the cold didn't go away, our vet referred him to a veterinarian internal medicine specialist. A bronchoscopy was conducted and it was determined that he has a resistant form of pneumonia. Ms. Bonnie H***** of Pets Plus, Inc was informed of every visit, procedure, and treatment. She refuses to work with either of us and has gone so far as to make derogatory comments in her store about my wife. My puppy is six months old, has over $3,000 in vet bills, and is on a daily regimen of medication and nebulizer treatments. Our concern is not just for our puppy but other puppies that may have been purchased from there with the same medical issues. Additionally, the petsplusinc.com website claims that all their puppies "are from licensed and inspected breeders only." When I inquired about the breeder's licensing information, Ms. H***** informed me that our puppy came from a "hobby breeder" so a license wasn't required. We have shopped there for pet and aquarium supplies and always had a good experience with the staff and products. We are extremely disappointed with Ms. H*****'s response to this issue.
Desired Settlement: I would like for Pets Plus, Inc to reimburse us for the veterinarian bills associated with the purchase of this puppy in addition to the purchase price of $600.
RESPONSE TO COMPLAINT:
To whom it may concern,
The purpose of this response to the complaint #******** is to explain why coverage was not extended to ********* ******** for the purchase of the Pug/Pomeranian cross. I have attached the appropriate documents to support my rebuttal. ********* ******** purchased Pug/Pomeranian cross for $599.99 with the payment through one of our financing companies. At Pets Plus Inc every puppy purchase is required to complete a Puppy Warranty Sheet, this is our sales contract to make sure both parties are aware of their responsibilities after purchase. The first part I would like to highlight is our veterinary expense coverage. We do offer treatment coverage at our approved veterinary hospitals, customers are not required to use our hospitals, but then they will be responsible for their own expenses. ********* ******** waived this coverage when she decided to use her preferred veterinary hospital. The second part of the contract I would like to highlight is the 14 day notice requirement. The puppy was purchased on July 14, 2015 therefore the 14 day cut off would have been July 28, 2015 and our preferred method of contact is email. ********* ******** came into the store on August 12, 2015 to inform me of the issues she was having and presented me with a bill from her veterinary hospital. I informed her that this was not the normal course of action for treatment and recommended that ********* ******** transfer to one of our approved veterinary hospitals for Pets Plus Inc to help with medical expense. ********* ******** refused this suggestion. Pets Plus Inc received medical documents from a different veterinary hospital on September 29, 2015. At this point ********* ******** had already launched a smear campaign against our company that started September 17, 2015. I have attached over 40 pages of posts attacking our company and reaching out to gain supporters. From what I have found and I am sure there are more left uncovered, at least 5 different posts that lead to horrible feeds trashing our company name. The first one started on Facebook group page September 17,2015 on ******** ****, September 28, 2015 Quantico/Stafford/
******** ********** ******* ******* **** **** ***
Better Business Bureau:
- The puppy was purchased on July 14, 2015 therefore the 14 day cut off would have been July 28, 2015 and our preferred method of contact is email. [In addition to going to the business in person, Mrs. ******** and I had phone conversations with Pets Plus Inc on July 17, 20, 22 and September 16 and 17. Pets Plus Inc was also in touch with our veterinarian and the veterinary internal medicine specialist.]
- ********* ******** came into the store on August 12, 2015 to inform me of the issues she was having and presented me with a bill from her veterinary hospital. [Pets Plus Inc was aware of the cough the puppy had on the day of purchase and presented it as just a cold. Mrs. ******** called our veterinarian while in the store completing the paperwork and scheduled an appointment for that day.]
- I informed her that this was not the normal course of action for treatment and recommended that ********* ******** transfer to one of our approved veterinary hospitals for Pets Plus Inc to help with medical expense. [To our knowledge, no one at Pets Plus Inc has identified themselves as a licensed veterinarian. Thus, Pets Plus Inc is not qualified to determine the normal course of action for treatment. Besides, if Pets Plus Inc knew the normal course of action for treatment, why was the puppy not treated when he first exhibited symptoms before purchase?]
- Pets Plus Inc received medical documents from a different veterinary hospital on September 29, 2015. [These medical documents were from the veterinary internal medicine specialist who was acting on a referral from our veterinarian. A bronchoscopy was performed in order to determine the type of pneumonia.]
- At this point ********* ******** had already launched a smear campaign against our company that started September 17, 2015. [The definition of “smear” is to damage the reputation of (someone) by false accusations; slander. Mrs. ******** and I have not made any untrue negative comments or suggestions about Pets Plus Inc, its staff, or its products. By contrast, Ms. Bonnie H***** has publicly referred to Mrs. ******** as “that crazy *****.”]
- I have attached over 40 pages of posts attacking our company and reaching out to gain supporters. ...October 25, 2015 ******** *** **** sharing her husband’s review bashing the owner by name. [The initial posts were of Mrs. ******** reaching out to the community to find out if anyone had purchased a puppy from Pets Plus Inc that was exhibiting the same symptoms. This was not designed to harm Pets Plus Inc. She was trying to a) find alternative treatment options and b) reach out and offer support to those with pets experiencing this problem. Mrs. ******** was not blaming Pets Plus Inc, she was simply identifying it as the common denominator. We are not in control of the responses and in most cases reiterated that this wasn’t about puppy mills, shutting down Pets Plus Inc, or the owner. It was about any puppies recently purchased from there exhibiting similar symptoms or had passed away following exhibition of these symptoms. Something I’m sure a responsible business owner would be concerned about. My October 25, 2015 letter to Pets Plus Inc was addressed to Ms. Bonnie H***** - she is the owner. There was nothing stated “bashing” her or anyone else. I simply stated what has happened and my disappointment. This comes down to a character issue. While Pets Plus Inc touts itself as a family-owned local business, it has misrepresented its product (the puppy’s origin is not from a “licensed and inspected breeder”) and does not live up to the character and reputation it wishes to espouse. We have documentation of everything we have stated while Pets Plus Inc has at best offered to look into a store credit to offset our extensive medical expenses and at worst denigrated my wife.]
- Pets Plus Inc will have no contact with ********* ******** or her husband unless it goes through a third party. [Due to the lack of contact from Pets Plus Inc, I have been forced to make my concerns public regarding Pets Plus Inc.]
a result of not following the contract we will not be honoring the complaint’s
request. [As a point
of fact, Mrs. ******** and I have adhered to our part of the contract. Attached
is the August 12, 2015 email Ms. ********** sent to Mrs. ********
following a conversation with our veterinarian. In it, she states, “The
veterinarian at Stafford was very helpful and sent over everything I needed to
file the claim. It was not the mega esophagus, but could be three other things.
I have sent off to pre-claim until the barium x-rays are performed then we can
move on from there. Any questions please let me know.”]
Customer Reviews Summary