BBB Business Review
BBB Accredited Business since 3/1/2010
Customer Complaints Summary
|Complaint Type||Total Closed Complaints|
|Problems with Product/Service||9|
|Total Closed Complaints||32|
Additional Complaint Information
BBB has received phone calls and complaints from consumers regarding advertisements from CarePoint Medical claiming Medicare will cover specific products such as the TriMod Back Support. Some consumers allege although the advertising states “Covered By Medicare and Insurance!”, their insurance providers do not cover the product, or do not cover it at 100%. Other consumers allege being solicited with letters claiming “Your physician would like you to make an appointment to approve this item.” When consumers contact their physician’s office they are informed that the letter provided to them is false.
On June 27, 2013 we met with the business to discuss the pattern of complaints and allegations. CarePoint Medical responded by stating:
• The claims mentioned above are not part of their marketing
• The product being offered will be provided at little or no cost to the consumer
• The consumer must qualify for the product and to qualify they must be covered by Medicare or private insurance and have a doctor’s prescription for the product
• The doctor’s prescription request is only sent to the physician following a patient’s request for the product
• Callers are informed up front that cost may be incurred and CarePoint Medical will re-contact them following a verification of their benefits, and inform them of any
expense for which the consumer is liable
• Verification of insurance coverage and patient responsibility is researched prior to providing any products
CarePoint Medical informed us that “You may be responsible for deductible and/or co-pay.” will be added to all advertising.
On August 20, 2013 the BBB received a copy of marketing material CarePoint Medical sent to a consumer. The mailer is not dated. The mailer states “if you suffer from back pain, then you may be entitled to a proven back support system approved by Medicare and private insurance, at little or no cost to you. “ At the bottom of the letter it requests that the caller have their insurance and doctor’s information available. The letter does not state “You may be responsible for deductible and/or co-pay.” The BBB is unable to determine if this mailer was printed and mailed to consumers before or after the company provided a response to the BBB.
Complaint Breakdown by Resolution About Complaint Details
View Complaints Summary by Resolution Pie Chart on CarePoint Medical Complaint Resolution Pie Chart: Complaints
Medical Equipment & Supplies