Scholarship Application Period Closed
BBB is pleased to announce that Noah Kiser, a junior at Smithfield Selma High School, has been named the recipient of the $5,000 Spring 2015 BBB Torch Scholarship!
The Spring 2015 Torch Scholarship application period has closed. Please check back soon for information on the Fall 2015 BBB Torch Scholarships!
BBB Torch Scholarships recognize students who personify high ethics as demonstrated through leadership, community service, overall personal integrity and academic history.
Entries are due May 12, 2015.
SPRING 2015 TORCH SCHOLARSHIP AWARD
- Current college-bound high school juniors, seniors and college undergraduates who reside within BBB’s 33-county service area (Beaufort, Carteret, Chatham, Craven, Duplin, Durham, Edgecombe, Franklin, Granville, Greene, Halifax, Harnett, Hoke, Hyde, Johnston, Jones, Lee, Lenoir, Martin, Moore, Nash, Onslow, Orange, Pamlico, Person, Pitt, Tyrrell, Vance, Wake, Warren, Washington, Wayne, Wilson).
LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION
- Obtain a brief letter of recommendation and signature from a representative of a BBB Accredited Business (visit BBB Accredited business directory). Use form included in Torch Scholarship application above.
- Essay topic: While working at Joe’s Auto Shop, you take an order for a new transmission. Your immediate boss knowingly provides you with a refurbished transmission with which to fill the order. This transmission costs significantly less than the one being charged to the customer. What would you do? BBB has considered numerous reactions and their ramifications, but is most interested in your truthful response. Please share your thought process regarding your option(s) and tell what you would do.
- Essay must be student’s original work, 400-500 words, typed, on 8.5”x11” paper.
- Essay to be evaluated by an independent panel of judges on effectiveness in presenting a point of view, thoughtful and creative interpretation of the topic, grammar, and spelling. Essay must be student's original work.
- Submission must include essay, letter of recommendation, transcript and completed application form to be considered. The following scale will be used in assessing entries:
Essay - 50%
Academic Achievement - 30%
Leadership/Community Service - 20%
Click here to learn about BBB Torch Awards, created to showcase ethical companies and charities in eastern North Carolina that build trust, advertise honestly, tell the truth, remain transparent, and honor their promises.