Eastern North Carolina

BBB Accredited Business since 06/01/1990

Frye Exterminating Co, Inc.

09/11/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Called request information regarding chemical used to spray apartment for ants, caused death to a pet, no return calls or info received
On Wednesday July 9th, Frye Extermination entered my apartment and proceeded to spray for ants. I have/had 2 cats and a dog. I was not home at the time because I was staying with my sick grand mother who has dementia in the hospital, she could not be left alone. On Thursday July 10th, my husband returned home from visiting my grand mother and I at the hospital. When he got home he noticed our oldest cat not being able to use his hind legs. We took him to the emergency vet as this was a new issue for him. When we got to the vet, the doctor stated that his symptoms were consistent with possible a pesticide poisoning. While we were driving to the vet I had called and left a message on the voice mail at Frye Extermination telling them what was going on and requested a call back, it was after hours so I figured we would receive a call the next day. While at the vet it was found that our cat had another health problem that could have been causing his issue, but as the night went on and the other issue was corrected, his neurological status got worse, he ended up not being able to use either set of legs, had become lethargic, and his pupils were no longer reactive to light signifying an issue with his brain/brain stem. We had to put him to sleep on July 11th. I again contact Frye extermination to find out the name of the chemical used. While speaking to an employee there she told me that they do not treat homes that have loose pets in them, but they sure did this time. I asked her for the name of the chemical used and she stated that she had to pull the invoice and would get back to me. She had also stated that our apartment complex office had a copy of the invoice and I could get the information from them. I proceeded to call the apartment complex office and spoke with the manager and she did review the invoice but was unable to read the hand writing of the chemical used. She also stated that she had talked to them and had been told different things than I had been, but did not go into detail. It has now been 5 days since I initiated contact with Frye to get the name of the chemical used, which by law I know they have to disclose, and they have not provided it to me. I also want to know the name of the technician and why he treated my home with 3 pets in there and no one home to talk to. They claim there products to be pet friendly but after research on my own and speaking to our vet, they can not say with 100% certainty that the chemicals will not cause harm to animals. I have lost a pet and would like the information I am requesting. I do no think it is too much to ask. I am not looking to get anyone in trouble but would like some closure. I feel that something is being hidden or covered up, and if that is the case and I find out that they are at fault, I will pursue legal action for the cost of our vet bills and pain/suffering.

I just want to info provided and if it turns out that they are at fault or a harmful chemical was used to reimburse the $870 worth of vet bills. Nothing will bring our cat back but I want to prevent this from happening to someone else's pet or child even!

Thank you for your time this morning and I apologize for our delay in response. As we discussed our technicians leave a detailed report of all services rendered with our client the Apartment Community manager. This report contains all chemicals applied during a service and the methods they were applied.
All Apartment communities are given strict instructions that all animals must be confined to a non-service area if the tenant is not going to be home to monitor said animals. We use all precautions in not treating units with cats loose inside. That being said cats can be great hiders, this makes it even more important for the pet owner to secure them prior to service
We are very sorry for the loss of this animal however it passed, as we believe any pet becomes a member of the family. This is the reason we have the above policies in place. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

06/22/2012Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

This company practices predatory service. I have canceled service with them multiple times. They keep you on automatic scheduling and won't desist.
My account is in good standing and I have no open balance. I chose to cancel service with Frye Exterminators and notified them. We are not under contract for service. They still came to my home anyway. I asked (the service tech) if the office had notified him that we canceled service. He ACKNOWLEDGED that he had been told.
I called the office again after he left to verify that they understood the account was canceled. I was told everything had been adjusted in the computer and we would no longer be on automatic scheduling.

A few months later, they sent another postcard to notify me of an automatic appointment. I called again, they assured me that the account was canceled and no more automatic appointments would be made.
We began to receive solicitous phone calls. They threatened that the rate would increase if we chose not to have service and later wanted to start service again. We declined service. They tell you one thing, but harass you by calling and showing up at your home and keeping you on automatic scheduling that you tell them you do not want.

This happen another two times. The latest postcard was for a June 18, 2012 appointment that we did not want or ask for. Again, I left a message to 'cancel.' This is harassment.

Bottom line. I have canceled service with them multiple times. They keep you on automatic scheduling and won't desist.

I want them to stop calling.
I want them to stop showing up at our home unsolicited.
I want them to stop creating appointments that we do not want.
I want them to remove us from their database.
I want them to tell the truth. When I call and they tell me the service has been cancel with no automatic rescheduling, I want that to be true.
I want the harassment to stop.

Frye Exterminating prides itself on our customer
service. On Monday, June 18,2012, we received a message from Ms. * stating that she had called in several times to cancel her service. We responded immediately by cancelling her pest control service on June 18,2012.

After further research into our manuel cancellation log, we discovered that Ms. * had
indeed called in twice to cancel her service.

We, inturn, called and spoke to Ms. * on
Tuesday June 19,2012, with an apology and an
explanation of what we believed had happened.
Our computer softwear system is old and has
caused a few errors recently, and for some reason it did not hold her cancellation request. We believe Ms. * file was caught up in one of our old system's hiccup's.

We have purchased a new softwear program and are in the process of transferring our files into the new system.

We sincerely apologize for the aggravation our old
computer's software caused Ms. *, and we want to thank her for bringing this to our attention, so that the problem could be addressed.

I am happy with Frye's response to this complaint. Up until the 8 month cancellation ordeal, I received quality service and a good product from the company. The employees were nice and respectful with every communication as well.

Pest Control Companies, Termite Exterminators