BBB Accredited Business since 04/18/2013

ClearDefense Pest Control of Raleigh, LLC

4 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 0 closed in last 12 months

11/03/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Not happy with the product, not controlling pest issues and very unhappy with management/ customer service.
Started service a few months ago, since then pest issues have gotten worse not better. I called to request a new technician hoping that would help pest issues. After a new tech visited, I still had issues so I asked that my contract be terminated. I was told by management that he would personally stop by he did not show on the agreed upon time. I called into the office again requesting cancellation, was told that the same manager would call as soon as he got off another phone call, he never did...

Would like to be refunded for August 2014, not charged for September 2014 and contract terminated.

Business Response /* ****** ** *********** */
Ms. ********** has experienced a few additional pest problems between her regularly scheduled quarterly services. This is not uncommon when dealing with the formidable power of nature! Our service warranty guarantees free retreatments if additional problems arise. At times unwanted guests (pests) gain entry to our homes through cracks and crevices, broken barriers, and other conducive conditions. We are aware that theses problems can arise and for that reason we have a "no questions asked" free re-service warranty.

At ClearDefense the service our customers experience is PRIORITY! Consequently, I (GM) offered to personally come out after hours on a day (Friday evening) of her convenience to service her home. That Friday, as requested, I called and left a voicemail in an attempt to verify the service and arrange a time to meet later that day. I unfortunately heard no response from Ms. ********** until the following week and again rescheduled for the next Friday. Mrs. ********** did call that evening after office hours and left a message. The next morning I immediately returned her phone call and left an additional voicemail. Unfortunately, Mrs. ********** filed this BBB complaint before listening to the voicemail. Upon receiving notification of this complaint I called Mrs. **********. During our conversation she said she did not listen to the voicemail before filing this complaint and told me she would then contact the BBB and have this complaint removed. Unfortunately this has not taken place.

**** *********, General Manager

Consumer Response /* ****** *** *********** */
Clear Defense billed our credit card this month, Sept 2014 after agreeing in August they would no longer bill us.

Final Business Response /* ****** *** *********** */
After talking with Ms. ********** once she had already filed her complaint, I refunded the payment in which she wished not to have withdrawn the very same day (Sep. 3, 2014). At the end of our conversation, Ms. ********** told me that she was satisfied with the solution and would email in to the BBB that I had contacted her and left a voicemail before the filing of such complaint, from which point her problem was resolved. I apologized for any inconvenience we had caused, asking if there was anything else in which I could do to help. I am very sorry that Ms. ********** did not have an ideal experience with our company, as we pride ourselves on customer service and satisfaction, but appreciate the opportunity from the BBB to better ourselves in attempts to prevent such matters in the future.

General Manager

08/11/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

On Monday 7-7-14, representatives for Clear Defense Pest Control (CDPC), male and female, came to our residence offering a pest control service with guarantee. On that date, after discussing the product and services, my wife and I signed a service agreement. On that day the male rep, whom we will call M.D., scheduled an service appointment with his home office for Wednesday 7-9-14. On Tuesday 7-8-14, I received a voicemail from a CDPC rep stating that they had a scheduling conflict and couldn't come out on Wednesday. On Monday 7-14-14, I called CDPC during normal business hours and left a message to have them contact me for an service appt. and no one returned my call. I called CDPC again on Tuesday 7-15-14 and spoke with a rep who scheduled me for Sat. 7-19-14. That day a service tech came out and performed the service. This tech was very professional and kind. However, One part of the service was to remove all "reachable" cobb/spider webs and spray. After the rep left, there were still webs on the house and front porch area. I took photos of the webs. On Monday 7-21-14, I called CDPC during normal business hours about the web issue and got their voicemail. I left a VM and to this day, 7-28-14, I nor my wife have not gotten a return phone call.

This complaint is not toward the service tech. The tech was extremely professional. It is towards the LACK communication from customer service in returning phone calls. I would like my initial service charge of $99 be returned, no other future charges be drafted from my account and the service agreement TERMINATED.

Business Response /* ****** ** *********** */
At ClearDefense, we consider customer service and customer satisfaction our top priorities. We are very disappointed that you've experienced a lack of communication on our part. We are truly sorry for that. We want you to know that we take this issue very seriously. We have put in place additional procedures which we hope will prevent this from happening again in the future.

The reason for our delayed response was due to our efforts to find the shortcomings in our communication. I've contacted our phone provider and had our call records pulled. I then searched the number listed on your account and found the following calls: on 07/08/14 at 6:55 pm we called to reschedule your service on the 9th, on 7/11/14 at 1:18pm we called again (reason unknown), on 07/16/14 at 5:47 pm we received a phone call from the number listed on your account a message was left, on 07/17/14 at 8:53am we attempted to return the voicemail (Unfortunately we mis-dialed and left a message on an incorrect number). On 07/30/14 at 7:13pm and on 07/31/14 at 4:37pm we called and left voice messages including leaving a personal cell phone number for you to be able to call back. According to the phone companies records there are no further records of calls from the number listed on your account or our office. If you would like a copy of these phone records to review we would be happy to provide you a copy. If there is another number you have that we can search we would be happy to do that as well.

Please allow us an opportunity to exceed your expectations by returning my phone call at your earliest convenience. I want to do whatever I can to rectify the situation and come to a solution that will exceed your expectations.

As a small local company, our customers are our livelihood. We do appreciate the feedback and have used this as an opportunity to improve how we do business.

Our thanks to the Better Business Bureau for allowing us the opportunity to address this issue.

General Manager

07/09/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Contract ended with this company in March 2014, they continued the service and charged my bank account.
On May 14, 2013 I signed a 1 year contract with Clear Defense to provide treatments to my home. The contract clearly states I would receive 4 treatments for the following months: June, September, December 2013 and again in March 2014.

Someone showed up at my house on Saturday, June 20th, 2014, I was not at home nor was I notified in advance (otherwise I would have told them the contract had expired). The tech left a receipt in my mailbox which I did not see until Monday June 22nd when I went to get my mail. I called that same day to advise them not to charge me as the contract was complete. A man answered stated he would look into it and call me back.

I called again on Wednesday, June 24th as I still had not heard from anyone and by this time my bank account was charged and now overdrawn. I left a message for someone to call me.... no one as of this date/time has reached out to contact me.

Request a refund of the $109 charged on my account plus the $36 overdraft fee I was charged with my bank. I have put in a fraudulent charge with the bank for this transaction as well as it is an unauthorized charged without my knowledge.

Business Response /* ****** ** *********** */
I have cleared up the matter with Ms. ******. There was a miscommunication in the terms of the agreement. After the completion of the specified length of the agreement we continue servicing on a service to service basis as stated on the front of the contract. I do not believe she knew this and we serviced her home after the 5 services specified on the agreement were fulfilled. As a small company we must use service agreements in order to break even after paying our commission to salesmen and giving discounts. To rectify the situation I credited her that service that was performed. I have spoken to her on the phone and completely resolved the situation. She was very pleasant and seemed happy with the result. We are sad to lose her business and hope in the future we can gain it again.

04/15/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Refusal to Cancel Service
in January, I made a request to cancel service from ClearDefense. They subsequently kept emailing me about why I should wait to cancel and how they can fix the billing amount to suit my liking. I kept asking them to cancel my account, but they would never confirm the cancellation. Several emails were sent since January with no concrete acknowledgement from them of my request to cancel. On April 2 they came and performed unauthorized service and charged me AGAIN for $109. I think they put off cancelling my service until the next billing was due on purpose to get another payment from mebasically refusing to cancel my service. I will never use them again, tell my neighbors about their billing practices, and never recommend them to anyone else.

Refund the last charge of $109

To whom it may concern,

Based on a series of emails with the filing customer, she requested her service be canceled. We asked why she was requesting service be canceled and if there was anything we could do to keep her as a customer or cater to her needs. We asked her to let us and notified her that her account was still active. Over a month later she responded that she did not see the need to it at the time. I replied the next day apologizing that we could not find a solution to keep her as a customer. I then notified her that her service agreement was not fulfilled and that when she signed up it was for a year. That year included an initial service and four quarterly services. I told her it would be $75 to cancel service while the last treatment was only $109 and upon completion it included a 3 month warranty of the work. In fact her agreement was for two years but to be nice and keep her happy I was letting her our for only one year. I asked her to let me know which avenue she wanted to proceed down. The next day she responded asking when the next service date was and that she was unsure what she wanted to do. I notified her that it would be in April and said it was my suggestion to receive service so that her home had a warranty for any issues that may arise with the upcoming warmer weather. After that email I never received any other correspondence with Ms. ****** and therefore her account remained active and her service was rendered. We also send out schedule service reminders several days prior to service which she should have received, it is the same email we have had all of our correspondence through thus far. It was actually out of our kindness we did not hold her to the 2 year agreement she signed up for. In accordance with the attached agreement she actually owes a $275 early termination fee. We had to keep her to the one year agreement to make up for the commission we paid out to her salesman. Attached I have copied a complete copy of all our emails, including dates and times, along with the service agreement she signed up for initially that clearly has her signatures stating the terms of such agreement. If there is anything else in which I can do or provided to help please do not hesitate to let me know.

Consumer Response /* ****** ** *********** */
When our entire neighborhood was being solicited for their services, they kept saying how it wasnt a contract and they were more flexbile than the other companieswhich I now know is false. I would still like a full refund of the last payment for failure to honor my request when I initiallymade it back in January of this year. It should never take a company 3 months to cancel anyone's services.

Pest Control Companies