BBB Accredited Business since 07/11/2013

ChannelAdvisor Corporation (Headquarters)

34 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 15 closed in last 12 months

09/14/2015Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

ChannelAdvisor started billing us for services without our permission or authorization. Got the runaround for weeks. Very shady and dishonest.
We've been a ChannelAdvisor customer since around March of 2013. About 6 months ago i took a look at a payment confirmation email from them and thought it seemed high. I tasked an employee to look into it and she got the runaround from them and let it fall through the cracks. In June i revisited the issue and was shocked to learn that they started billing us for our Google adwords account spending....i'm not even sure when it started but i believe it's been happening for at least a year.

They have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS ACCOUNT. Somehow their sneaky software was activated in a way that had them start billing us. After dozens of repeated efforts to get them to address the issue, they blamed me for the configuration settings and basically said they would not do anything to address the thousands of dollars that were inappropriately billed.

Fast forward to today and i just got another giant bill from them for GOOGLE ADWORDS ACTIVITY. I have trouble tickets about this "glitch" from back in MAY and it still isn't resolved.

I've left voicemails but haven't gotten a response yet.

I wonder how many other companies are being victimized by their shady business practices. They might be a good candidate for a class action lawsuit if they don't respond and resolve this quickly.

We want a refund for the Google Adwords activity that they have absolutely nothing to do with and we WANT THEM TO STOP ACTIVELY BILLING US FOR IT!

Business Response /* ****** *** *********** */
This issue has been resolved and the customer has agreed to continue working with ChannelAdvisor.

Consumer Response /* ****** *** *********** */
The issue has been resolved.

06/29/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

We entered into a contract (12 month) with ChannelAdvisor. We were promised an upload time of 1 hour tops, they changed it to 4 hours mid-contract.
We signed a contract with ChannelAdvisor in Sept 2014, a contract based on uploading product skus to ChannelAdvisor's site in order to manage our inventory with multiple sites. Our prior integration with our online store was instantaneous, we would edit a picture, price, product description, and it would change immediately. It is important to note the old saying of "time is money". ChannelAdvisor said it could take up to an hour for these things to sync using their system. We hesitantly said that this would be okay and we could plan for an hour to wait for product to sync.
At first it was a bumpy experience, things weren't working right (image uploading, proper syncing, etc.), but after months of dealing with it we finally felt comfortable uploading products to ChannelAdvisor.
Then there was a MAJOR change. We started to see long syncing times (longer than 4 hours) for our product (10 to 20 items) to go from ChannelAdvisor to our store's domain (store.alamomusic.com). I contacted ChannelAdvisor, and they said they would look into it. On January 9, 2015 ChannelAdvisor sent an email out saying they were working on sync times. We waited till March 2015 to contact someone higher up in the company. I clearly stated that 4 hours was not what we signed up for. They showed me the contract that said "In its sole discretion, ChannelAdvisor may change any design, layout, content, features or functions of the Technology without notice." For a technology company that provides an online service to it's customer, this seemed like a good faith violation. How can a company change it's fundamental service on us when we are stuck with them for a year? I looked farther into the contract and read "If the changes reduce functionality and materially adversely impact Customer's use of a Module, then Customer's sole and exclusive remedy is to terminate the SOW for that Module by providing at least thirty (30) days prior written notice." So I told them this is not the product we signed up for (in April 2015), and requested a terminated contract. They have done everything to tell me I have no right to ask for a terminated contract, they have bullied me into believing I have no rights as a customer locked into a contract. They are threatening collections, and all I asked for was an amiable solution to a non-transparent contract which I believe was made void when they lied about upload times. I am very disappointed with the way that Alamo Music has been treated by ChannelAdvisor.

An amiable solution to an unfair contract. We have not used the services provided by ChannelAdvisor since April 2015, and we should not be liable for the costs of the services. We have been exchanging emails and ChannelAdvisor has stopped responding - stating they will place me for collections. Alamo Music has not used ChannelAdvisor's services since the middle of April 2015. I have offered to pay for April, but I refuse to pay for something we are not using.

Business Response /* ****** ** *********** */
ChannelAdvisor and the complainant are working together toward a resolution.

Consumer Response /* ****** ** *********** */
Resolved - The complainant verified the issue was resolved to their satisfaction.

Final Consumer Response /* ****** ** *********** */

10/17/2014Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Salesperson told me their software had all the data I needed and could communicate with the suppliers that I deal with for Ebay, turned out untrue.
I had been researching software companies to assist in listing items on Ebay, my main criteria was the software company needed to have the ability to communicate with my suppliers to obtain all the necessary data needed to list items. Without the data listing items is a lengthy time consuming task that usually requires a couple of employees full time to manage. The Channel Advisor salesman assured me that the data would not be an issue and I could focus my time on selling the products and not the listings. After paying Channel Advisor and signing their contract, going into the launch phase I quickly found out they didn't have all of the data like they said, only bits and pieces of it that has to be put on a spreadsheet and pieced together. Also I found out they do not communicate with the suppliers inventory levels, another software is needed to do that, and only 2 suppliers are compatible, the third and main one I use is not compatible. If I had been told all of this from the get go I would've never signed up with ChannelAdvisor, I would've went with the other company that has access to all of this data and doesn't require another third party company to do inventory levels. I want out of the contract and they are refusing to do so, billing me 1,000.00 every month and I'm not using their software.

I want a refund from Channel Advisor, and to cancel the contract.

Business Response /* ****** ** *********** */
ChannelAdvisor successfully supports multiple automotive sellers on Amazon, eBay and other third-party marketplaces through its integrations with inventory suppliers and fulfillment alliances. Our platform is customized for automotive sellers through these strategic relationships, some of which require an additional outlay of capital on the part of our customers, which is communicated during the sales process.

Since we feel that our system is able to help this customer, we are willing to go above and beyond to help get this customer get up and running on our platform. We have reached out to this customer directly to offer specific assistance to meet his needs.

Consumer Response /* ****** ** *********** */
I was told data from the suppliers was available and data collection was not going to be an issue for ebay, during the first launch call I quickly found out this wasn't true by the launch specialist within the first 10 minutes on the phone. I have already switched to another software that has software and data like this company said they did. I have no interest in using Channel Advisors software, it does me no good, these big companies can't keep bullying small businesses. If they were 100 percent honest from the get go It would've been a clear and straightforward decision to not use their software, instead they lull you into thinking they have the end all be all of software and data mines. Not true.

Final Business Response /* ****** ** *********** */
This situation has been resolved through direct communication with this customer.

11/15/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Channel advisor provided inaccurate details of there service. After signing contract they failed to meet all requirements of the contract.
The sales pitch used compared to what was presented in the contract were two totally different services. The sales representative that sold the product is no longer with the company. After discussing with several managers within channel advisor, they offered to issue a partial refund for services when I requested a full refund since they failed to fulfill their contractual agreement. They would only offer a partial refund. To this date I have not been issued any refund, nor have they fulfilled the contractual obligations set forth. With several conversations with Channel Advisor management they continued to change their information as to how their services work. When I questioned about these changes, compared to what I was told during my contract setup as well as initial account setup after the contract was signed, I was read a script as to this is how their system works.
The contract was signed based on the information provided that I could be set up for a full integration of 3 websites within a quick time frame. They all would be fully functioning and working uniformly together. The channel advisor system, and services could not provide this service. At best we had one system up and running, and second with partial functionality, and and 3rd that was not operable. Channel advisor was responsible for the system integration which they could not provide as described.

I am seeking a complete refund of the contract price. The contract was based on a completed business integration between three systems. They could only partially integrate 2 of the 3 systems.

Business Response /* ****** *** *********** */
Our software does require initial investment in time to upload and create a seamless experience. This is a common experience for all customers, requiring time and effort, and is also why we recommend that clients enable the software with a Launch Specialist to get them going.

Our team put forth great effort to launch this client on multiple marketplaces at an accelerated pace. The complainant was successfully launched on two major marketplaces, with the
third marketplace launch being delayed due to an issue with the complainant's inventory that was not the responsibility of ChannelAdvisor.

The complainant purchased the service on a self-service basis and was therefore expected to take over management of the account after launch. We do offer fully managed accounts for customers who wish to allow our expert teams to completely manage their e-commerce presence.

We sign one-year agreements and invested our own time and energy into the success of this account, going above and beyond to help the customer through the implementation process. The client was implemented successfully and launched on 2 out of 3 major marketplaces (with the unsuccessful launch being due to issues with the customer's inventory, which they were unwilling to rectify), therefore we would retain fees accordingly.

Final Consumer Response /* ****** *** *********** */
Consumer called to say he has reached a settlement with this company.

Final Business Response /* ****** *** *********** */
We have documentation that our launch services manager reached out to the complainant multiple times with requests to set up a call to finalize the launch on the third marketplace, as the other two marketplaces were successfully launched. The call would have enabled our team to help the complainant work through the inventory changes that were necessary in order to successfully launch on the third marketplace.

The contract documentation signed by the complainant explicitly established that customer was responsible for providing inventory data required by the marketplace in such a format that ChannelAdvisor could receive in order to achieve success. The complainant did not provide the necessary information in a format ChannelAdvisor could utilize, which therefore meant they were unable to launch, despite our team's best efforts to help them do so.

07/16/2013Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Channel Advisor suspended our account for alleged lack of payment. However, we paid within the terms established by Channel Advisor.
1) End of 2011: Channel Advisor Sales Rep (SR) contacts us to get us into Channel Advisor (CA) Platform, we agreed with reserves given the public roar about CA's deficient product/support.

2) January 2012: SR realizes that CA application for Ebay Motors - Germany is not ready and tells us it is not possible (an initial invoice had already been raised) to move forward.

3) I contact Regional Manager(RM) to tell him about this. RM talks with development. They agree to develop the Ebay Motors Germany application by March 2012.

4) App is delivered in March but with bugs of significance (CA's accounting department keeps billing, I raised my concerns with your people).

5) We can effectively start to use CA application end of March / beginning of April.

6) More than once, through this period, we raised our concerns about billing not matching reality and about credit notes NOT being raised.

7) Finally received the correct bill with credit note included 13 days ago with due date 17th of June. My accounting department would pay before that day.

8) CA's finance guys disabled our access to CA two days ago due to lack of payment even though due date is 17th of June (at the time it was the future). To use CA's language: We went from "Be seen" to "Be gone".

9) CA's management is unable to fix the situation. CA's finance guys don't sign their messages with their name. We never knew who we were dealing with.

On the other hand, CA's application was not bug-free even until the day we stopped the contract later in 2012. We refer to significant bugs, like the inability to effectively use CA's inventory update API.

Experience with CA has been absolutely deficient, it has caused us loss of business. We recommend no one to deal with them.

We have plenty of emails and invoices to backup the arguments detailed above.

We are seeking refund of all amounts paid given the loss of business and man/hours lost as a consequence of our dealings with Channel Advisor.

Our resolution was to come to agreeable terms for account termination based on customer's tenure and feedback. The customer's account was disabled for nonpayment after multiple attempts to contact them failed to illicit a response, and upon response from the customer the account was reactivated. We wish this customer the best of luck with their future endeavors.

We have reached an agreement with Channel Advisor. You can now set this matter as resolved.

Best regards,

Flavio Graf
for Q11 Autoteile

We are working with this customer to resolve this issue amicably.

11/24/2015Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Channel Advisor made many claims and promises that were never upheld. Buyer beware.
Channel Advisor called us for 36 months and we Buy DMi Inc. decided to give them a shot. They made us many promises and claims that were never upheld. We also extended several chances to Channel Advisor to uphold good ethical business practices and stay true to the words of what we were sold. Salesman **** ****** and his sales team states that if you are not happy with our service you can cancel anytime. When we canceled due to Channel Advisor's inability to perform professional advertising duties they initiated a $52,426.67 debt collection through Transworld Systems Inc. Transworld Systems Inc. ****** ****** advised us to settle. We disputed the debt with Channel Advisor and Transworld Inc. backed up by email correspondence and chronological dates summarizing all email correspondence. We are waiting for a response from Transworld who works directly for Channel Advisor. 1) Channel Advisor could not provide a valid tracking pixel that would allow for accurate clicks and sales reporting. This was a two month process while Channel Advisor collected $10,000. This was a simple process that was a two month complication that was a waste of time, money, and resources. 2) We were promised we would have a report which would include products that were advertised and clicked on that did not convert to online sales. This report would help BuyDMi.com identify product or website issues allowing us to make proper adjustments. This never happened. 3) We were promised that if a specific item was searched for and clicked on multiple times without conversion to sales that item would be excluded from advertising so we did not continue to spend money advertising it. This never happened. 4) The sales team stated that Channel Advisor had a state of the art software system that can determine product runs without conversions. Not true. 5)We were promised accurate reporting with real data. We received reports with just zeros. Reporting was inconclusive. 5) When we finally received a report Channel Advisor felt was valid they claimed our existing business as their own.

The resolution that we desire is a full refund and for Channel Advisor to drop the $52,426.67 collection.

Business Response /* ****** ** *********** */
We regret that this customer feels this way. Our team dedicated time and resources in order for them to be successful on our platform. This requires customer cooperation on strategy development and tactical execution. ChannelAdvisor delivered the services outlined in the agreement mutually agreed upon by both parties; however our team was not given a reasonable amount of time to realistically assist this customer with their goals. Additionally, we feel that this customer has used coercive measures to pressure us to concede to their unreasonable requests. Under these circumstances, we are not able to offer a refund or retract the collection of the funds owed to us.

11/23/2015Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Not what was advertised, very disappointing. The company is telling that there is no way to cancel???
We we talking to their sales reps for a long time (over 6 months) and we asked a lot of questions, which they were very eager to answer positively, but they were not honest!

Fist of all, there was no way to test the program, you had to sign up first. While that wouldn't have been a problem if the program would be as promised, but it wasn't. We had to pay for 6 months up front, and we trusted the sales rep that it would work for us... We were told that the set up was easy and would only take a few hours, which was a lie! And they take up to 5 weeks to launch one marketplace!!!

Secondly, we were promised, once you set one market place up, setting additional marketplaces would be fast and easy, and that was not true either! We spent endless hours correcting everything and still it's not listing our products as promised! The program was supposed to be turn key, but it's not! You have to do everything manually for every requirements for every marketplace!!!??? It's awful!!!

The other thing that is awful about this company is their customer service. Questions are not being answered for days, and when they do answer, they just refer you to the self help pages, what kind of a help is that?

After about 3 weeks we've had enough, and asked to terminate our subscription... And there was another big surprise, which was not mentioned before, there is no way to cancel!!!??? What kind of a company locks their customer for 12 month contract without any ways to cancel??? I would understand if there would be a cancellation fee, but no way at all???

We spoke to 3 people and had a conference call with them just to be told that there is no way to cancel???!!!

This is outrages, and no company should be allowed to operate this way. There is a huge reason for a state attorney general to look into this kind of a business practice.

We need this subscription to be canceled immediately and a refund for remaining 5 months to be refunded back to us.

Business Response /* ****** ** *********** */
Like most Software-as-a-Service vendors, we require our customers to sign 12 month agreements that are binding upon both parties unless certain terms and conditions are broken. In this case, ChannelAdvisor has breached no contractual provision. ChannelAdvisor has provided all services and functionality included in the agreement that would enable the customer to be successful on the ChannelAdvisor platform. Our software does require initial investment in time to upload and create a seamless experience. This is a common experience for all customers, requiring time and effort. This was also disclosed in the sales process, the contract, and is why we offer clients the option to enable the software with assistance from a Launch Specialist. We feel that our technology can help this customer grow his business, and we are willing to continue our efforts to help him be successful.

Consumer Response /* ****** ** *********** */
This is exactly what this company does to all its customers! They only talk to what can't be verified! Their program was outrageously over represented and many features were promised that were NOT in the program later on! This practice should be stopped! Secondly, no other company I know locks their customers with 12 month unbreakable contract! If their program would work as promised nobody would complain, but 29 complains shows different!!! ***** *** does not want to do business with this company and request a termination of the contract and refund for the remaining months!!!

Final Business Response /* ****** ** *********** */
We have worked directly with this customer to find a mutually beneficial resolution. This customer has decided to continue to work with ChannelAdvisor.

11/23/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Company offered us a service to list items on our web stores. They failed to provide the service to us and gave us conflicting answers.
We had contracted Channel Advisor to provide listing/inventory services to our company. After repeated telephone calls we agreed to their product. We had uploaded the information and waited for the products to be populated on the e-commerce sites. After about two months, we were told, we would have to pay $3,000 more for additional services. We argued that was not what was told to us and they extended the service by a month.
We had several telephone conferences with their reps (we have had several different account reps throughout our service) and after each time going over the issues, they were never addressed. We ended up losing the ability to list items due to the negligence and inaction of Channel Advisor.
In May of 2015 we advised them we would no longer be paying for a service we weren't receiving from their company. At least $5000 were paid to Channel Advisor and not one item had been listed for sale. I received a call from a rep and explained to her our situation and dissatisfaction. She said not to worry and if there were any problems she would call me back.
I am still receiving invoices for this service.

This company has made in excess of $5000 from us with nothing to show in return. We would like to have our account adjusted to show a $0 balance and sever complete ties to the company.

Business Response /* ****** ** *********** */
We've reached out to this customer directly regarding a resolution and are awaiting a response.

Consumer Response /* ****** ** *********** */
I was on vacation and had limited cell signal. I called ***** at Channel Advisor at XXX-XXX-XXXX and left a voicemail. I am waiting for her to call me back.

Final Business Response /* ****** ** *********** */
We have reached back out to this customer and are working directly with him on a resolution.

11/16/2015Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

1. failed to provide launch plus service.
2. failed to provide services.
3. deceptive business practices.
1.When we signed up with channel advisor ("CA") they promised to give us unlimited number of product lisings and later told us that they wouldn't do this. I have several emails proving this fact of unlimited products.

2.We were told we would have assistance launching our products, and they did not provide the assistance. They were supposed to build our templates for us, we wound up building them ourselves. I have email documenting this. (to quote the contract:

3.CA failed to provide the mapping of our products."ChannelAdvisor completes the initial mapping of the eBay posting template utilizing auto match for item specifics data")

4.CA failed to do this, We had to do it by ourselves"ChannelAdvisor will set up general eBay setting and policies per the data an specifications provided by the customer in initial set up"

5.We were given sub par service and they acknowledged this by giving us a new representative to get us on boarded because they acknowledged the issue that existed. We placed many phone calls to our rep and sent many emails documenting this, showing a pattern of neglect to our account

5. The new representative still did not build our templates or provide us with the additional needs we agreed to

in summary I would like our money back for the last 12 months because we could not fully utilize their service.

return of all fee's taken for the past 12 months
approximately $15,500

Business Response /* ****** ** *********** */
We feel that this is an unfair assessment of ChannelAdvisor's services, which we can prove through documented calls and emails. Additionally, the contract signed by the complainant clearly establishes SKU limits, though these caps can be modified by agreement between the parties. This customer signed a 12 month agreement, which is binding upon both parties unless certain terms and conditions are broken. In this case, ChannelAdvisor has breached no contractual provision. ChannelAdvisor has provided all services and functionality included in the agreement that would enable the customer to be successful on the ChannelAdvisor platform, including Launch Services, sufficient training and customized implementation support. Our software does require initial investment in time by the customer to upload and create a seamless experience. This is a common experience for all customers, requiring time and effort. Additionally, ChannelAdvisor extended a suggested resolution to this customer, which was declined.

Consumer Response /* ****** ** *********** */
Unfair was you not providing launch services and other details in the complaint.

I am asking for a refund and you are offering me to stay with your services and pay you MORE MONEY? This is a JOKE right?

REFUND OUR MONEY NOW!!@#

Final Consumer Response /* ****** *** *********** */
i decline your "generous" offer to not refund my $15,500 in addition to your strong arming me into another year of your services that you didn't perform properly.

Final Business Response /* ****** *** *********** */
Again, ChannelAdvisor feels that these allegations are inaccurate and unfair. ChannelAdvisor did everything possible to help this complainant, and as mentioned previously, dedicated resources to offer this company growth opportunities. In this case, ChannelAdvisor has breached no contractual provision. In an effort to help rectify the situation, and despite the fact that ChannelAdvisor performed under the terms of the original contract agreed to between both parties, ChannelAdvisor made the complainant an extremely generous offer based on their request in the BBB complaint; however, the complainant declined. We feel that the complainant's demands are unreasonable, and we are unable to accommodate the complainant's requests.

10/30/2015Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Over sells and under delivers. The sales team will promise everything but they don't know anything about their software.
Signed my contract on September 12th 2015, I was promised channel advisor will increase my monthly revenue. We are two months in and they still don't have the software setup for use to utilize. The sales team knows very little about the actual software they sell. The sales team and "project manager" are never on the same page, always giving me two different answers to the same question. I asked to cancel this contract since it is clearly not what I was sold in the beginning, even offered them they could keep my setup fees ($2,000). I was simply told I could not terminate.

I wan't these contract dissolved and cut all ties from Channel Adivsor

Business Response /* ****** ** *********** */
This customer is not new to ChannelAdvisor and is therefore fully aware of our product offerings and our 12 month contract requirements. Our 12 month agreements are binding upon both parties unless certain terms and conditions are broken. In this case, ChannelAdvisor has breached no contractual provision. ChannelAdvisor has provided all services and functionality included in the agreement that would enable the customer to be successful on the ChannelAdvisor platform. In this particular situation, the delay in the launch process is due to multiple changes in strategy by this customer. With such adjustments, it takes more time to facilitate implementation. We have made multiple attempts to work with this customer and he has refused all suggestions we've made. Under these circumstances, we are not able to terminate the contract early.

Internet Service Providers, Software Developers