BBB Accredited Business since 02/04/2001

8 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

05/01/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Requested quote. It was provided for $700+HST.
Bill came in for $1020.34.
Propane Fireplace was not working.

Service technician arrived to resolve on Jan 7. Unit was Red Tagged due to safety issues. Technician indicated 2 issues, a new valve was required, as well an updated gas line due to code being altered.

I requested a quote for this work. It was sent over by *********** on Jan 15. Quote indicated $700.00 + HST.

Parts had to be ordered so we had to wait until work could be done. Once the part(s) arrived I gave the go ahead for this work to be completed.

Technicians arrived on Feb 28 and completed the work. They signed off on the Red Tag, and the unit was back to working.

2 Bills arrive:
Jan 7- $101.70. No problem.
Feb 28- $1020.34. Problem! That's over $300.00 from quote provided.

I have a copy of the quote and the invoices.

I called and spoke with *********** who provided the quote. He indicated that the valve was not included on his quote. He claimed that he did not know about the valve and questioned why I didn't catch this error.

I thought I was getting a quote on ALL WORK that was required. Why would I only receive information for only part of the job? What good is a quote that isn't accurate? This was not a new issue that they only discovered on the 2nd visit. The work required was listed by the technician on the first visit.

And I really resented the implication that I should have discovered their oversight in the quote. I have no knowledge of gas fireplaces or their working parts.

The gas valve was ordered and installed. So the complany knew about this requirement.

I'm happy with the work, I just feel I was misled with the quote to the bill. The other issue I have was for *********** to turn the tables on me and claim it's my fault for not paying close enough attention to his quote.

The reason an itemized quote is give for the customer to read is to be sure that it is the work he would like performed. The proposal was by email so was very easy to read. MR **** is a very intelligent person and he new what was wrong with the stove and what it needed. There is a copy enclosed for you to read, and no where is a valve mentioned as i was not told there was a valve need.
To keep peace i will split the difference as he has requested.

At this time I have not received the payment promised above by *** *******. As today was my deadline to respond, I just contacted my credit card company to see if a payment has been received. They confirmed there has been no credit issued.

We agree to provide this customer with a refund for the difference ($160.17 as per the customer), however the customer will need to come into our office to put the refund back onto his credit card.

At this time STILL no payment has been received as *** ******* has indicated.
Splitting the difference from the quote to what was billed is an amount of $160.00 dollars.
This process was started 7 weeks ago now.
Please mail the cheque to my address you have on file.

03/06/2014Problems with Product / Service
12/05/2013Problems with Product / Service
08/08/2012Problems with Product / Service
08/28/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

We bought a wood stove in December, which is defective and unsafe to use. The Stove Store won't exchange, replace, or offer a refund for the stove.
In December 2013, we bought a older farm house. It has a propane furnace, but is expensive to run. So, we wanted a wood stove that would be used as our main source of heat.

We went to the Stove Store and the sales person, *** knew the house we bought, and said that for our needs, we needed to buy the **************, ************ @ $2500. We paid by credit card.
He stated that the older house would have less insulation, but this stove was more than adequate to heat our house.

We asked about warranty and service. *** stated that they stand by their products and only sell the best. They would fix any issues, if we had any.

The ****** stove that we got would not put off any heat or burn more than 2 hours, when it is supposed to burn up to 12 hours. We would get lumps of coal out of it.

We emailed and called for several months. During that time, they told us we needed to buy a new adapter, a damper, and other pieces (which cost us over $500) to 'seal the stove'. And wouldn't do anything till we bought these items. Nothing worked.

The manager, ************** even came to our house to see what the issues could be. During this visit, He mentioned that they had several calls stating that people were complaining about this model of stove as well.

After almost 3 months, ***** said since he was in our house, and knew what we needed, that I could exchange the ****** wood stove and recommended the **********************, but it ended up costing me over $700 more. (I have all the receipts and emails as well).

***** told me that the stove will heat up to 3000 square feet and will burn for 20 hours. Since my house is 2000 square feet, I felt it would help keep my wife and 2 little kids warm.

This new stove was installed from the Stove Store. It gave off enough heat, but just like the ****** stove, I had to spend all winter sleeping on the couch to make sure the stove wouldn't burn out every 2 to 3 hours.

I contacted ***** and again he told me to buy more accessories before they could do anything. ***** came with ****, who is ********** sales representative and it has taken months to find out what to do next.

Two months ago, *****'s service technician came to inspect the fireplace and house. He said the house was fine, but the stove was faulty.

Yesterday, I got an email from ************** stating that he will not service, exchange, or replace the wood stove and will not offer a refund. Also, that since the wood stove was made in the United States , I am to contact them and deal with it myself. They will not offer any warranty or is not responsible for any products they sell.

***** was at my house several times and never mentioned anything about a crack in my window or insulation in the house. In this email, he stated that the cracked window (which is still intact and sealed) and insulation are causing the stove to not burn long.

Last month, I hired another Wood Stove company from Kemptville, Ontario to come and inspect the walls, chimney, pipes and even took a look at the wood stove. I called and he said the insulation, and cracked window have nothing to do with the burn time on the wood stove. As well, he said the wood stove was defective and could be a fire hazard. It shouldn't be used. I can get a letter from this company and others if needed to state that the issue is the wood stove, and nothing else.

I also cut a hole in the wall to check the insulation in the walls where the wood stove is. It is properly insulated.

Winter is a few months away, and now have no main source of heat is not usable. We have a propane furnace, but is very expensive to use.

When we did use the wood stove, ***** told me I would only need to fill it twice a day, so my wood pile would last a long time. This winter cost me over $100 a week to keep the wood stove running, and now I cannot use it in case it starts a house fire.

To whom it may concern. ****************************
We sold (cash and carry - not installed) a top of the line rated stove to them, a ********************* which they burned for several months till they called us - it was not working correctly. They had cash and carried this unit and they had installed it. I then went to look at it and found the stove pipe was not connected to the wood stove properly (2" gap all the way around) and they were burning fresh cut willow with snow on it. They did the connections but they later complained after several weeks again that it was not heating and she wanted a different stove. We changed the stove out for a ********************* cast iron wood stove with a higher heat output (we even came to connect the stove to the customers existing smoke pipe and chimney at no extra charge - even though this was a cash and carry only sale), which is another top rated stove (we installed the ********** unit and took the ******* unit back and gave them a full refund - customers paid the difference between the price of the two stoves).

After a period of time, they complained about the new stove and wanted to try another one. We had the factory rep come out from Montreal and check over the whole setup and how the stove was burning and it was approved as a good setup and was working properly. In the mean time we tried the ******* stove in our showroom and found nothing wrong with the stove. We then sent it back to the company and they burn tested it and found nothing wrong with the stove and sent it back to us.

There were observations done when at the house by us and the ********** rep which indicated that the problem was the house itself with cracked windows and other items causing the problem not related to the wood stove itself.

We have been back to inspect/look at these stoves over 7 times since they were installed in just over 3 months (this year alone).

*******************************************.

We can't just keep changing product or refunding their money when the house, fuel and/or persons operating the stove is the problem which is backed up by the companies (suppliers/manufacturers).

*********** - Owner

***************
*******************

First, we are not looking to try different units. I had to spend all of last winter sleeping on the couch. *****************************************************. But, I needed to fill the stove with wood every 2-3 hours. My wife and two young children needed to be kept warm.
I was promised a stove that would heat my house and that would burn for 18 hours, by both *** and ***************.
We did have several cords of dried wood to get us through the winter. But the wood stove burned so much wood that we had to get wood delivered each week. The day that *********** mentions the wet wood....it had snowed the night before, and brought fresh wood in that morning. It was ash wood delivered and was cut over a year old, not fresh cut willow. The person who delivered it can confirm.
We had no choice to buy the stove and install ourselves. Our house was freezing, and *** couldn't install it for two weeks. We had asked for the stove store to install it, but they said they were too busy.
I had picked up a wood stove from the stove store. I had installed it that night, and it worked great. The next morning, a lady from the stove store called stating that they gave me the wrong stove. She was upset that the stove was used. But I thought I had the right stove. They sent someone that day to exchange this wrong stove with the ****** stove.
The stove store did deliver the ****** wood stove, and later installed the *********** stove. When the ****** stove was delivered, we asked ***'s employees if we had installed the previous stove correctly and they said yes, and asked how to install the ****** stove...and they gave us specific instructions. So, the 2" gap *** mentions is because that is how his technicians told us how to install it. The first stove I picked up was hooked up the same way, and worked perfectly. It gave off lots of heat and didn't have to put wood into it all night. Not sure why that stove worked. And neither the ****** or *********** didn't?
Our first complaint that the ****** stove wasn't working was within the first month, and took another couple of months to get them to replace the stove with the *********** stove. We were told the stove isn't working, and nobody said anything about insulation or anything else, even the window.
We were told the *********** would take two weeks to 'seal'. And then it would burn for 18 hours. I have a video showing me fill the wood stove and within 3 hours, the stove is down to ashes.
***'s technicians came in, installed the *********** stove and even started it. From day one, that stove only burned a maximum of 3 hours before it burnt out. I was told by ***** that I wouldn't only need a cord a month, but each week, I needed to order 1.5 cords of seasoned ash and oak wood. The wood may have had some snow on it, but was well dried, ***** had come and tested the wood for its wetness too. . ****************************************. I wasn't expecting to go through so much wood. The costs and pain were horrible.
Having the ****** stove returned Ito *** is a first to me. The manager, *************** admitted that the stove did not burn properly and that there were several complaints with the ****** stove. He said the secondary burn didn't work cause it wasn't put together properly.
The cracked window was sealed and double pane glass. The insulation was inspected and is up to code. We had another stove company come to our house to inspect the system. I can obtain a letter stating that they feel that the window, insulation and other issues have no effect on the wood stove working properly. It is an air tight stove, so the burning time is not effected by a cracked window. If the house wasn't insulated properly, then the stove may not heat the house fully. But the stove does supply enough heat. Just does not last as long as I was promised.
I cannot afford to fill the *********** stove with wood this winter. The company that inspected the stove also said if it is burning so quickly, their can be a manufacturer fault and can be dangerous to use. The house has been inspected, and everything is fine. The only thing that could be wrong is the stove. The first stove I got from *** worked great, but they said it was the wrong model
And the difference in price between the ****** stove and *********** was over $700. ******************************************, I had to purchase it, and when I purchased it from *****, he said that price included installation.
*************************************************.
I just want a refund and we will just go away. *********************************.

To whom it may concern. ***************************

We sold (cash and carry) a top of the line rated stove to them, a ********************* which she burned for several months till she called us - it was not working correctly. They had cash and carried the unit and her and her partner had installed it. I then went to look at it and found the stove pipe was not connected to the wood stove (2" gap all the way around) and they were burning fresh cut willow with snow on it. They did the connections but they later complained after several, weeks again that it was not heating and she wanted a different stove. We changed the stove out for a ********************** cast iron which is another top of the line stove (we installed the *********** unit and took the ******* unit back and gave they a full refund).
There were observations done when at the house by us and the *********** rep which indicated that the problem was the house itself with cracked windows and other things causing the problem.
It seems that the two of them wanted to just try different units. NOTE: these stoves are two of the best large stoves made today.
I can't just keep changing product or refunding their money when the house, fuel and/or persons operating the stove is the problem which is backed up by the companies.

***********

****************
******************

When I picked up the first wood stove in December; the Stove Store contacted me the next morning and informed me that they gave me the wrong wood stove. They sent their installers over that afternoon to return the wrong model, and drop off the ****** stove that I had purchased. The stove is on a slab, 6" high. The installers took the old stove down, and put our new stove in place. They even put the exhaust pipe in place. We screwed it together when they left. We had asked the installers if the setup was proper and if the gap was okay. They said everything was great.
Before the installers left, they did state that it takes up to 2 weeks for a stove to seal. After that time, it will burn properly and for the length of time it was supposed to. From day 1, the ****** stove didn't burn more than 2-3 hours, and no heat. It left chunks of coal in the stove, not ashes. When the 2 weeks were up, I contacted the stove store and told them the stove wasn't working. It wasn't months.
When *** came out and said there was a 2" gap ...the pipe had a little play, but I couldn't fit a finger inside. He told us to go and purchase a special adaptor to tighten up the gap. *** doesn't carry that type of pipe, so we had to go to a place in Kemptville, Ontario that carried that pipe. We bought it and installed the adaptor within a couple of days. We tried the wood stove for a few days and then informed *** that the adaptor didn't make any difference. He said he would look into it, and sent *************** a few weeks later.
(Note: Every time *** or *************** told us that we needed something else to make the stove work, we immediately bought what was needed (Over $250 in all), and it never made a difference or fixed the problem.)
We never burnt any fresh cut wood. We had bought our house in December and never had an opportunity to cut any wood. All of our wood was purchased and delivered. It was all seasoned for over a year and was all hardwood (ash, oak, etc) When *** came over and said he saw wet willow; I had wood delivered the night before in a snow storm. Yes there was some snow on it, but the wood itself was dry. When *************** tested the moisture in the wood, he said it was great wood. We never had willow.
*************** came over several times in January and February. He said that there were many complaints with the ****** stove, and that he could see that the second burn system wasn't working on our ****** stove. It took several months, lots of emails ***************, but finally got an email stating that we can get a different model stove and they would take the damaged ****** stove back. ***********************************************, we wanted our money back and purchase a stove somewhere else. We weren't allowed to get our money back. So, we got an exchange instead. The stove that ***** offered to give me was smaller than the ****** stove, so I needed to spend over $700 +taxes to get a stove (***********) to heat my house and keep my children warm. The other thing I needed was a stove that was efficient cause it was costing me over $100 a week in firewood. I was guaranteed that the *********** would burn for 18 hours and heat my 2000 square foot house. Before I paid for the stove, I asked ***** if this stove would heat and work in my house, since he was there several times. He said he guaranteed that the stove would work in my house.
When we got the *********** in March 2014, the installers took the ****** stove out, and installed the ***********. I was told that it would take two weeks for the stove to seal and reach maximum performance. From day one, the stove would give off heat but needed to be filled every two to three hours, or it would burn down to ashes. I would email *************** every few days and keep the Stove Store informed that the stove wasn't getting any better. After three weeks of emails then ***** came out to inspect the stove.
When selecting the ***********, both *** and ***** were at my house several times. They never said anything about insulation in my house or windows. The extension of the house where the stove is placed is only 30 years old. ***** and *** never looked in the walls to see if there was any insulation. This summer, I opened up the walls and found that walls are fully insulated (2"x6" wall with 2"x6" insulation). As well, ***** has informed me that the Stove Store showroom itself actually has no insulation in the walls. So, if the stove works at their shop, then insulation should not be a factor.
The cracked window that is double pane (all the windows are new and well insulated), isn't an issue either. I have talked to several wood stove companies (who are willing to testify) stated that this type of wood stove is an 'air tight unit'. The insulation in walls, or windows would not have any influence in the performance of the wood stove. I never had anyone look at the stove itself, since I was afraid of my warranty. But, after multiple companies have inspected my house, I have proof and statements that my house is up to code, and the chimney is up to code. They all agreed that the only thing that could be wrong: the *********** wood stove. Not one person said it could the wood burnt, the house or the people operating the stove. The people who showed us how to operate the stove were the Stove Store installers, and the manager ***************.
Both the ****** and *********** stoves offer a lifetime warranty. The Stove Store placed the ****** Stove and installed the ***********. We did everything *** and ***** asked. Once again, we ask for a full refund. If the Stove Store was fair and worked in a timely matter, we would gladly take another stove. But, since they won't honour their warranty and it takes so long for service, we want to go to a reputable company. We are NOT stove shopping we just want something to keep our family warm in the winter.
As well, I asked these companies if the *********** and the ****** Stove were the "Best large stoves on the market". They said that was ***'s opinion, not a fact. Once company actually stopped selling the ********** stoves because of the defects and warranty issues.

05/12/2015Problems with Product / Service
02/12/2014Problems with Product / Service
01/18/2013Problems with Product / Service

Stoves-Wood, Coal, Etc., Water Filtration & Purification Equipment, Ventilating Equipment, Air Conditioning Supplies & Parts, Gas-Propane, Fireplaces, Fireplace Equipment-Retail, Air Quality Service, Geothermal Heating & Cooling, Heat Pumps