BBB Accredited Business since 01/09/1996

Appleseed Organic Lawn Care

16 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

04/07/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

In four major storms service was not provided until complaint made sometimes days alter. Yesterday not at all and today service still not provided th
I have contacted the contractor repeatedly. They serve a number of neighbours on ******* but consistently miss my drive because they never bothered to put up the signposts. I have had successive assurances that the service would be delivered on time and each time this commitment has been breached.

We will refund half the season and apologize for missing her driveway.

01/15/2014Problems with Product / Service
03/11/2013Problems with Product / Service
03/08/2013Problems with Product / Service
02/22/2013Problems with Product / Service
04/02/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Appleseed did not honour their contract and hung up on me when I called to find out why.
The snow stopped falling around 1pm.

When I went out at 1:15pm, I saw that my neighbours on Harding were already plowed and that they had a little build up of snow that collected. This means that Appleseed was in our area earlier in the morning, but didn't do our street.

I called at 4:45pm to ask why we hadn't been plowed. ******* (a phone operator) said they were in our area, so I accepted that and asked her get a manager to call me back.

Around 6:20pm, I called back asking why we still hadn't been plowed once. ******* said she had passed the message along to manager, then told me that someone was coming directly to our house. I wanted to speak to a manager, but she said that all she could do was pass the message along. ****************** ******************************************************.

I called back and she put me on hold without any explanation. I hung up and called again, then **** answered. I didn't know who **** was, but he started being ********** with me without listening to anything that I had to say. He told me he was a manager. I asked him two times to let me speak. At no time, did **** try to diffuse the situation. He was ********** on the phone and said that it is "normal" to take 1.5 hours to plow an area. ********************************************. ******* should have put **** on the phone the very first time I asked to speak to a manager.

***********************************************************. *************************************************************
Appleseed's website advertises that they are the "nicest on the block", that during "big storms, Appleseed snowblowing tractors make extra visits to keep you moving in and out of your driveway", that you "limit the number of neighbourhoods visited so you deliver service we can rely on". This is ***** advertising.

For basic service, their contract states:

Daytime service: A lane way clearing visit will be made during the course of the day during heavy snowfalls.

Today you were in direct violation of your contract.

We finally got plowed for the first time at 6:40pm, after **** hung up on me.

***************************************************************** ************.

From: **********************************************
Sent: March-21-14 3:42 PM
To: c*****************************************
Cc: *****************
Subject:*************

*********************************************************. In the case of *********, that would be customers as we heard from both of you. Your constant calls to my staff, still while we were well within the time frame for delivery of service promised to you, amounts to **********.

In fact, you made it clear to them that you were going to keep calling them and being ******your word) until we showed up to clear your laneway, even though it has just finished snowing and we had 6 hours to get there. Your justification for the complaint was that we had done other streets close to yours and should have come over to do yours at the same time. There are many factors that we take into consideration when planning a route, including how the city plows the streets, and I'm not going to go into that with you. My staff have other notes with your comments.

When you emailed us that we were not to visit your property again, any lawyer would tell us that we should not continue the service. That is the final word. If we showed up again to clear, that would be considered trespassing. We are certainly not calling you back to try to 'work anything out' ************************************************. We would have removed the stakes but they were frozen in.

Our cancellation policy is that anybody can cancel service at any time for any reason and they will receive a prorated refund within 4 to 6 weeks and this was mailed out to you. There is no negotiation. It is based on percentage of the contract in terms of time or amount of snow whichever is greater.

Since you approached the BBB with your complaint, it should be noted that I am very willing to cooperate with their complaint system when there is a legitimate complaint due to anything along the lines of us not fulfulling the contract as promised. ***************************************************
**********************************************
******************************************.

************************************************************ It was your choice to terminate and we have no quarrel with that as per our policy so there is nothing for the BBB to work out.

I'll leave it at that and wish you luck with your next snow clearing company. I trust that you have received the cheque for the partial refund. If that is not the case, please let me know.

***************
President

website: *********************
email: **********************
phone: ************
fax: *****************************
*********
*******

I am disappointed with the response from ****.

************************************************** *********. ***********************************************************
*******************************************************.

Yes we did call the staff more than once because we asked to speak to a manager and we were told that the manager was not available, or that the manager was "not there". Only after my third call, did the manager speak to me. ***************************************************. The manager did not answer the phone calmly, instead, he was ********** from the start.

Appleseed was not well within their time limit. I have already clearly stated how they breached their contract, and has committed ***** advertising. I have taken quotes directly from their website and the contract they sent to us. Your contract does NOT state that you only have 6 hours after the end of a snowfall to plow our driveway. That was referring to the FINAL CLEARING. The contract states that they would do a pass in the morning, and then complete the final clearing again within 6 hours after the final snowfall. We would never hire a company that will only plow once all the snow has fallen, as it would be pointless as we would have to shovel to get out of our driveway, and then to get back in after work. **** should read his contract again, and focus on the DAYTIME SERVICE. The 2nd day we complained was when we didn't have any plowing at all. The snow had stopped around 1pm, and they only came after 6pm after we had called 3 times.
***************************************************************** *********.
It is ironic because this whole issue arose because **** the manager would not speak to us in the first place. If **** the manager had just gotten on the phone when we asked to speak with him, and had explained why they were breaching contract, we would not have had to call back.
***********************************************. ***********************************************************.
**************************************
*************************************************.

*********************************************************************. *********************************************************. I am taking the time as I do not want anyone else to go through this ********* ********** experience that Appleseed has put me through. ***********************************************.

03/06/2013Problems with Product / Service