Stan ******* wants me to pay for work that I am not happy with. Asked if he would come and look at it himself - he refused and threated legal
Roofing contractors are telling me they are done and I am not happy with a section of the roof that is at the front of my property. I wanted ********* Stan ******* to look at it and he refused telling me that his man looked at it and that's his job. He says its just something visually unappealing but it is waterproof its all good. I am not happy with that at the front of my house.
Finish the roof so that it looks right.
This roof was completed September 15th 2015. An inspection was done in the following days and payment was requested. The homeowner replied on September 22nd with three concerns (he was under the impression that the wrong color was installed, he had noticed 'a black stain' on the roof while it was being shingled and that 'ridge caps shingles don't look nicely done').
When asked when I could stop again to go over these details with him, the homeowner responded 'tomorrow around noon'. No one was home the next day around noon.
I called the customer and confirmed that the right product/color was installed on his roof as stated on the signed contract. I also confirmed that at his request, the 'black stain' was investigated by our workers while the roof was still open and confirmed with him at that moment that repair work was not required and then proceeded with the shingling. Finally, two ridge caps shingles were modified to fit the customer's liking.
A second roof inspection was done at the same time and payment was requested once again. The homeowner now mentioned he would like to have his 'inspector' come to inspect the work before issuing a payment. We agreed payment would occur two days later, Friday Sept 25th. (to allow his inspector to come and do his inspection).
Two days later, payment was requested once again and the homeowner replied that he didn't had the chance to have his inspector come in yet and he didn't think he could issue a cheque before the next Wednesday, Sept. 30th. We agreed to give an extension until that day.
On the next Wednesday, it was confirmed with the homeowner that I could come and pick up his cheque during the afternoon. Upon arrival, the homeowner brought up his concerns again, mentioned that he still wanted his inspector to come in before paying and refused to issue a cheque as agreed. I completed a third inspection with him present and asked him if he had any idea when his inspector would come. He couldn't give me an answer.
On Wednesday Oct. 7th, we called the homeowner again requesting payment. He didn't agree to provide payment. Considering he had no valid reason to withhold payment except that his inspection still hadn't occurred yet, a final notice was given mentioning we would still wait until Friday Oct.9th for his payment, but that on the next Monday we would start collection proceedings.
In an attempt to stall this, the homeowner filed a complaint with the BBB, emailed us a photo of his roof telling us 'This is not the kind of workmanship that I expect from a quality roofer.' without giving any further details.
On Oct. 13, the homeowner informed us that his inspection was finally done and the inspector stated that the roof was laid well. He inquired about why a valley was installed differently compared to the others and that question was answered.
Still with no payment, the customer also commented in his email 'you have on your agreement you will charge me a late fee - not sue me before even a 30 or even 60 day period has passed. Just hold off on your lawyer for now. Look - if we don't settle this in the next 30 days then you can still sue me afterwards.'
As a lien can only be placed within a 45 day period of work completion, that we've already waited several weeks for his inspection to occur and the homeowner still had no valid reason to withhold payment, a lien was then placed on the property.
The homeowner issued a cheque on Oct. 20th.
We are now waiting on the final confirmation from the banks that this cheque is completed cleared and the lien will then be removed.
STEWART ROOFING LTD.
(The consumer indicated he/she DID NOT accept the response from the business.)
I paid Stewart Roofing in full because I did sign an agreement to do so,but I am not happy about it - the service, and their approach to collecting on accounts extreme. Feel like I am in collections with strong demands on money even when the I am not happy with end result. There is no satisfaction guarantee from these guys that is for sure. As for the lien - At no time was I notified about a lien actually being put on my house - even at the time I provided them with a cheque. I really think any decent company would have offered something of a discount or something seeing that I was not happy with their work and how my house looked. We waited all summer for a scheduled date based on our original agreement which I stated I wanted it inspected by my inspector and it was is writing. Then at the end of the summer I was very concerned about getting the roof done and was going to start looking for someone else - then they contacted me and said they will do it and came over and rushed me through another agreement - said he needed something neat clean since using different shingles (the agreement)...filled it out and had me sign it. I know now I shouldn't have. It turns out that they used a cheaper shingle than what I expected and I was not versed well enough in the differences to ensure it was noted on the agreement. How they said the job was going to be done and what actually happened were very different - from initial consult and walk through they said I would have with foreman which they scheduled but the guy did not show...to delays in work, worker actually mentioning -- "I don't usually do roofs" Furthermore my roofing inspector told they charged me a premium for this job. It did pass his inspection. *******************************. ******************************. *************************. And...when I gave Denis the cheque because I was held by this contract written highly biased for them...he said that Bonnie would get in touch with me from the office with regards to the guarantee...I still have not heard from them. At this point I would certainly not recommend them. Actually - I checked them out with BBB before hand and it is one of the main reasons I picked them. I am pretty disappointed with them and still not satisfied with the outcome.
Final Business Response
Stewart Roofing Ltd upon completion of this roof has to date carried out three separate inspections all by different key personal on this roof. All inspections have deemed this roof to exceed acceptable standards and all inspections have concluded that this roof meets all criteria for the GAF 50 year non pro rated warranty. The inspection carried out by the clients own inspector concurred and indicated that the roof was very well applied. The one constant complaint after completion and inspections by the client was about the colour selection. The client made the manufacturer and colour selection both by email and by signed contract. Stewart Roofing Ltd proceeded to fulfill its contractual obligation by installing the selected colour and products as per the clients documented selections. The client with no reason other than discontentment with their final colour of the roof decided to withhold payment and suggested in an email that a 30 to 60 day further period of time would be in the cards after which time we could proceed to sue him or as indicated offer a discount. We at Stewart Roofing were left with no other recourse as the 45 day period was upon us, levied a lien as was our legal right. When this cheque is deemed as cleared by our bank we will immediately remove the lien a register the warranty. We wish this client all the best and know that he has an excellent roof on his home.