BBB Accredited Business since 01/10/1991

Nutri-Lawn Ottawa

7 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 4 closed in last 12 months

10/05/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

A fertilizer application was made which left numerous spots/stains on the asphalt driveways which I cannot remove. The co. is not responding.
Nutri-lawn made a fall fertilizer application a few weeks ago which was also spread on my asphalt driveways. There are now spots and stains on the asphalt which I am unable to remove. I have left numerous phone calls to the company but they are not responding . They say somebody will come but nobody does show up. One comment was that the rain will wash it away but it does not . I've tried hot spray water but the stains stay. Nutri-Lawn needs to address this problem ASAP and fix it so that the stains are removed.

The company needs to assess the problem and do what is necessary to remove the stains or cover them with a new asphalt sealing solution.

07/28/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

****** Weed Control - applied too late in season and did not achieve weed reduction in creeping charlie
I have a 1/2 acre lot and ordered ****** Weed Control to manage the weeds. The product can be applied in cool temps (above 5C); the manufacturer's recommended application is in early spring. My husband called when it hadn't been applied. It was finally done on June 16th, which is 5 days before summer. Weeks earlier I pulled all the dandelions, plantain weeds etc as they were flowering - a massive job. When my husband followed up with them they said it was too cool to come earlier, which is not truthful. Did nothing to the creeping charlie. Expected some reduction but leaves didn't even go brown so either they applied incorrectly or not full strength as advertised. (I've used ********** and achieved significant reduction last summer). The customer rep says it doesn't treat creeping charlie, however NL's web site had accolades from a customer pleased with their application against creeping charlie (which has been taken down). They also have a blog that says to contact them about post-emergent solutions for creeping charlie. ***********************.

Would like them to reapply ****** on the creeping charlie areas and/or give us a 50% discount.

08/15/2014Problems with Product / Service
08/24/2015Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

I used Nutri-lawn services in the past. But I called them in the fall of 2014 & told them that I didn't need any more services from them for all of my 4 properties for 2015. However, I received a voice mail on 03 Aug.2015 that I owed them a very small amount (there was no specific amount mentioned).On my telephoning them (Kyle), I was told that I owed only $59.39. To this I told him that I did not owe them anything but I was further told by him that there was a recording of my initial contract over the phone when I talked to them. This contract was indeed for 2014. Kyle mentioned that," This contract will continue to be renewed every year "UNLESS OR UNTIL I CALL THEM TO CANCEL IT". My question is that even though that I told them in 2014 that I did not need their services any more, still they are sending me the bills. *********************** Is it not right that every contract should have a SUNSET CLAUSE (a closing date or a closing term)? In this case, they do not have one. Plus on 3rd of August, they told me that I owed them ONLY $59.39 but today on 4th of August, they sent me an email with two bills and not one liked yesterday and it is $59.39 and $71.60. ************************ Plus, they are *************** sending the original recording of my original contract of 2014 and which does not have any justification for they telling me that I owe them money. I have not given them any contract for 2015 at all as mentioned earlier.

To conclude, I DO NOT OWE THEM A SINGLE PENNY and I am currently subjected to harassment by different methods. Thanks.

Contact Name and Title: Thom B*************
Contact Phone: *****************
Contact Email: *******************
Thanks for reaching out on this issue. It is my genuine desire to resolve it to your satisfaction.
I delayed contacting you immediately as I wanted to review all the information we have and compare to your claim. After doing that, unfortunately, I do need more clarity from you and I hope you can provide it.

As I understand the situation you booked on for our services last season on a number of properties. During that purchase you agreed to accept and received a 5% discount in return for being a multi year Client that allowed for you to cancel at any time just by notifying us and getting a cancellation number. That conversation, with your acceptance was recorded.

During the course of the winter we reached out to you a number of times through mail and telephone to remind you of your commitment.

This spring we applied spring fertilizer on 2 of your properties.

You called after the applications were applied and cancelled which was accepted.

When the amounts outstanding for the properties were past due we called and you expressed your opinion to my staff.

Do I have this right?

Thanks for your help.

Thom B**********************************************

It is noteworthy to mention here that I am not the owner of this property (36 Astoria Crescent) since 02 June, 2015. Secondly, I did not understand that they could have an agreement over the phone without getting my signature. I assumed that they would send me some document for my signature and which they did not do. Thirdly, my question to them is that if they are saying that they have done the work as per my words that is recorded. ******************* Thanks.

Thank you Mr. A****,

I am only trying to discover if we did what you agreed to. In the recording you accepted the 5%, I am sure your word is as iron clad as mine.

We have over 10k clients enjoying the 5% discount and have voluntarily become multy year clients. The terms with every one of them is exactly as is yours in the recording. Take the 5% and you can cancel at any time, just call and get a cancellation number.

Mr. A****, we are far too busy to do work for someone that does not want our services. We have have been providing services to thousands of people in Ottawa for 26 years. We use the recordings to protect you and us, they give you peace of mind as you and us know exactly what you agreed to.

********************** We did what we said we would. If there are other facts please provide them. If the facts are correct, then lets please move forward.

Thank You Mr. B*****,

Yes, you have the full right to ask for the unpaid bills. ************************** My question to you in my last response was that; are you authorized to do the recording of verbal contract as these companies? If so, no problem, I certainly would be oblized to pay these two bills. If not, you are not right in saying that I have a verbal contract with you.

I had had written contract with your company for quite a few years for a few of my properties. I did not have any issues with any one of them except this one.

Any way, I would like to move forward and do not want to leave this hanging **************************. I am looking forward going on vacation. Please do send the bills to my office address at *********************** at your earliest and I shall do the needful.

06/19/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Product of ******** did not effect.
I used Nutri-Lawn in August 2013 and September 2014 for ******** service.Every year I got lawn damage and this year it happen right after spring.when I called the office, they said nothing they can do but suggest me to double the service so I need to pay more.
I thought the product of ******** did not work but Nutri-Lawn just wants to get money from consumer.

Nutri Lawn did that to my neighbor as well.

I just want to let BBB office know that Nuri-Lawn is not a good business practice and I would like to have my lawn fix by them.

Contact Name and Title: ******************
Contact Phone: *****************
Contact Email: ********************

Hello ********* Thanks for reaching out on this issue. I must admit I was very surprised that you took the BBB route after all the correspondence you have had with my Company. But is is my pleasure to provide you with all the documents and recording as a reminder.

First off, YES, grubs are nasty. They destroy lawns at random and we do all we can with the products available under Ontario law to reduce their population and subsequently their destruction. Unfortunately we or anyone else cannot completely destroy all the grubs on a lawn and that is why we call the nematode application we provide a 'grub reduction' service.

Your concern, as I understand it, is that you feel the one nematode application should be enough to resolve your grub problem.

As advertised, as in the mailings to you before you agreed to the service, as explained by ******* last year, as explained to you by **** before the application, the best that can be expected is 60% reduction and that is in ideal conditions. We do not and never have claimed there to be a 100% control option.

We do know that if a 2nd application is applied weeks after the first you will receive more control, but still not 100%. And of course a second application requires a second visit by a technician and more nematodes. All costing money.

So although I understand your concern, I do not see why you are upset at us for this.
We did exactly what we said we would do. And we offered you more with a reasonable cost associated with it.

If there is any doubt about what we offered I have attached a copy of the early warning nematode letter with the 'upto 60% reduction', and the recording at the time of sale with the 'upto 60% reduction'. Also described below.

In August 2014 we notified all of our Customers that were in high risk grub areas that they should get some protection and reduction of the grubs by ordering a nematode application. In that notification we clearly spell out what the application will do and the reduction you can get in ideal conditions.

In early September, we followed up with our customers in the high risk areas by telephone. In your case **** left a message for you ( September 6th at 12:53 pm ).

On September 15 at 11:14 AM you spoke to **** about the nematodes and after a lengthy discussion you decided to book the reduction application. At the end of that conversation **** explained that he was going to record a summary of the conversation. I have attached that recording for you.

All in all ******** I would very much like to help you out and at least provide a reduction in price on a second application. However with this BBB claim outstanding I am compelled to just provide all the facts as I have. As in the facts we have provided exactly what we said we would. Should you decide to cancel the claim, please feel free to call me directly and I will assist in pricing for this years nematode applications.

02/28/2013Billing / Collection Issues
12/20/2012Problems with Product / Service

Lawn Maintenance, Irrigation Systems & Equipment, Irrigation Consultants, Landscape Lighting, Lawn & Garden Sprinkler Systems, Weed Control Service