BBB Accredited Business since 24/07/2009

Today's Renovators

06/24/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

The contractor improperly installed a window, twice they have come to look at it and agreed to fix it, but have been delaying for 7 months.
Purchase:
I never received a final bill of sale, but I have the quote/invoice pdf and proof of payment.

*************

The job didn't start out well, all 7 windows had some issue, one of which was the bathroom awning window not closing and the latch had slipped. All issues except for a minor trim piece were resolved before I paid. It then took 2 months to get the trim fixed.

Problem:
One of the windows (bathroom awning) doesn't properly close. Both the installer and owner of the company have come to inspect it, both admitted they installed the window crooked/twisted. They claim it can be fixed but needs to be removed and reinstalled.

Oct 8, 2015 - I requested they come look at the awning window that doesn't latch
Oct 13 - Chris responds and offers to come look at it
Oct 28 - Chris emails about not having forgotten
Nov 11 - Chris emails offering to come Nov 14
Nov 14 - Chris doesn't show up for schedule appointment, doesn't notify
Nov 16 - 7 emails to setup new appointment
Nov 17 - Chris finally shows up, inspects the window, tries to fix the latch, suggests Steve come look to approve fixing it, claims they will definately fix it before winter.
Nov 19 - Latch slips again so it won't close, I email them again to ask Steve to come look
Nov 19 - Steve offers to come look
Dec 3 - I follow up because he never responded
Dec 4 - Steve responds rudely to me pushing him for a date
Jan 5 - I follow up again
Jan 15 - I follow up again, suggesting I will take claim to BBB
Jan 15 - Steve responds saying he is forwarding my ********** message to his lawyers...
Jan 15 - Using a different phone number, I trick Steve into talking to me. He claims he will call me back on Monday 18th
Jan 19 - I follow up again as no call was received.
Jan 19 - Steve responds with more excuses, offers to come look on 20th
Jan 20 - Steve inspects windows, agrees with Chris that it is crooked and can be straightened with reinstall, he adjusts the latch again and suggests not opening the window until its fixed. He says he'll keep an eye on the forecast and the next warm period he will get someone to fix it. Likely late Feb or March at the latest.
Mar 5 - I follow up, suggesting the next week is very warm (it was over +5C)
April 6 - I follow up again by phone, **********. Say he would never send his guys to work in the winter,*******************

****************

I just want my window to open and close!

Initially I wanted the window fixed, but I no longer trust this company to do the work.

I would like this business flagged with some negative warning so other customers don't have to go through this.

Hi there and sorry for the length of time it took to reply to this complaint. It has gotten to be a busy time of year for us as this is the season for renovations and when being in business 23 years we get really busy. **************. We would have never lasted this long in business if we were a bad company. We do not need to accept this abuse form this man. ********************. I did agree to go back and fix mr P*****s window, as in business I have never ignored a customers call. I have confirmed with Chris and yes he did go back to help Mr. P***** get his window closed for the cold weather as he insisted. Mr. P***** was also asked if he could leave the window shut until warmer weather, this he did not do, therefor we again went back to get Mr. P*****s window closed for him. At this point in time we had an agreed time to stop by, this time he left my employee outside for near 30 mins before coming down. We again got the window locked and shut and explained to Mr. P***** why this window was not functioning. Again Mr. P***** felt the obligation of opening the window for whatever reason, which needed yet again another call for appointment on Jan 20th. I myself went this day which was -20 I believe, I then agreed to come fix the window when it got to a much warmer time of the year. I also got the window closed for Mr. P***** once more. Mr. P***** called I believe on first week of March accusing me and said it was time to fix window, which it still was freezing cold weather. On april 6th Mr. P***** calls me on my cell phone and STARTED the conversation by yelling *************************************** as he has MANY of times towards me and my employees. At this point in time I have no employees who will even step foot near his premises **************************. Even to a 60 year old man who has worked hard enough in this community to deserve respect. There is NO WAY that I would let a bathroom window affect my business rating of 23 years. This young man has no filter, and reacts on emotions, this window is warrantied with ****** Building products and not even our company, but being a reputable business that I am I showed up to try and help. I have only had 2 people in 23 years of business give me problems and him included in them. We are a business with MANY upon MANY great reviews and more than happy customers. Sometimes you just cant please people, and in this case this young gentleman is one of them. ************************. This young man feels that going to BBB was the only way of getting ahold of me and this is why the complaint is here. In addition to this message, we also hold our customers word in high regard. Meaning if Mr. P*****s health or any serious matter was involved we would not hesitate to fix immediatly. Seeing as this was a bathroom window that we got sealed not once but three times for him, he obviously kept ignoring our request to keep window closed. We were in agreement to fix the window and thats what we were doing.

Its been 8 months. Being able to open and close a window is expected. I don't have air conditioning for the summer. It's a bathroom, opening a window is a very reasonable idea. Guests are confused when I explain that window doesn't open.

I'm sorry I left Chris waiting outside for less than 10 minutes, I told him that at the time. He refused text when he was leaving and showed up early so I hopped out of the shower. This was the visit after he stood me up and I waited around til noon for him.

***********************

Few questions so you will have to give clear answers:
1) Did both Steve and Chris say the window was installed twisted in the frame to keep it flush to the drywall?

2) Does ****** warranty the installation or does the contractor who does the install? I guess I should reach out to ****** with your comments.

3) What are the dates of the 3 visits? I only have records for two. Unless you are talking about right when it was installed, because that visit was for latches on all the windows that Chris guessed were bent from the truck ride, and that he was going to raise an issue with ******.

4) When are you going to fix the window?

As per our conversation today, I will be in touch with Mr. P***** next week to set up a date to remove and re-install bathroom window.

Thanks

Steven M********

The complaint can be closed.

They came to fix the window today and did a good job.

Glad this is finally over, just wish it hadn't taken 9 months.

Construction & Remodeling Services, Soffit & Fascia, Windows, Doors, Siding Contractors, Roofing Contractors, Home Improvements - Additions, Home Improvements, Kitchen & Bath - Design & Remodeling