BBB Accredited Business since 01/04/1997

Wallace Automobiles

Phone: (613) 746-9646Fax: (613) 746-2094

5 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

12/10/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Bought a 2007 ************ in January 2014 it had 53,000km and on November 8th, my alternator seized. After 21,000km, Wallace refuses to compensate
Bought ************ on January 15, 2014 from ****************. The VIN number is: *****************. The purchase amount was: $12,132.64. Sales Person was ****************. Payment method is bi-weekly of $116.59 for a term of 48 months. Deposit at time of purchase was $1500 ($1000 Cash and $500 from trade in). On November 8, 2014. The alternator seized and is not covered under warranty. I raised the concern with the dealership that I had driven 21,000kms and the alternator broke. My mechanic has never seen a vehicle with a seized alternator on any make or model do this at 74,000 kms. ***************************************************. There is significant wear and tear on shocks and ball joints as well. A point of note, there is a clause in the contract for an As-Is sale which was not initialed and therefore deemed not applicable to my agreement with the dealership. As such, I believe it's only fair that they are held responsibile for all if not part of these now known mechanical issues.*****************************************************

I would like for the cost of the alternator and labour to be paid in full. Other repairs such as shocks and ball joints to be addressed as well.

November 18, 2013

ATT: ********************************

RE: *************

Good afternoon

We have received Mr***********'s complaint from the **********************, I am also aware that Mr ********** spoke with ************* at our office about this issue by telephone last week.
I have reviewed Mr **********'s file and made the following observations:
Mr ********** purchased a 3 year / 60,000 km mechanical breakdown protection plan with the vehicle (which does not include electrical items or reconditioning normal wear and tear on a used vehicle)
Mr ********** has had the car for approximately 10 months and has travelled approximately 21,000 kilometers in that time
At the time of purchase we installed 4 new tires, new brake rotors and pads on both axles, and 2 lower ball joints to complete the ********************
I believe that we provide Mr ********** a quality car at a fair price. It is unfortunate that the alternator has failed and I do understand that Mr ********** is upset, but I am sure that he is aware that no part on a car can last forever, and no-one can know when any particular part will fail or wear out. It is not unreasonable to say that any car will need some maintenance and / or repairs annually.
As a gesture of goodwill we can have any work that Mr ********** requires performed at our shop at his expense at the wholesale rate on parts and labour to save him some money. If Mr ********** would like to do so he can contact **** to our office anytime.

We are a locally owned family business and have been selling cars in Ottawa since 1963. As such, we are in the people business and make every effort to make each customer's experience a positive one. I hope that Mr ********** will consider doing business with us in the future.

*************
Wallace Automobiles
************
***************************

From: ***************
Sent: Friday, November 28, 2014 9:10 AM
To: ****************
Subject: RE: ******************

I do not find the response of "Give us more money to fix the ***** we sold you" satisfactory.

**********************
You have driven this vehicle for 10 months and 21,000kms without complaining to us about a problem. Now after that amount of time and mileage your alternator has failed, and you claim that some normal consumable parts may need need replacing. ************************

The warranty you selected clearly does not cover the alternator, and no aftermarket warranty you can buy will pay to replace consumable parts that wear out with the use of your vehicle.

You were offered the opportunity to get any service or repairs you wanted done at a rate substantially less than one would generally pay at a service facility, we didn't ask you for any money. Your car is not a *****, but it will need periodic maintenance.

We provided you with a good car at a fair price, it is not our responsibility to maintain the car for you.

*************

04/24/2014Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Sales representative did not disclose that the lowering of the high interest rate after six months to prime rate was dependant on my credit rating.
Loan #******************** for 2009 ***************** 4 dr purchased February 2013, effective loan date March 6, 2013. Interest rate: 14.90%. Stated would be lowered to 4.99% after six months.

Wallace Automobiles ***************************************
Sales Representative: ****************
Principal Dealer: *************
Tel. ************
Sent letter to ************* March 24, 2014 registered mail. Mr. ******* Replied by phone March 26, 2014 denying salesman would make such a claim and I must have misunderstood.
At no time did my credit rating come up from February to August 2013 when I requested lowering of rate. Was told to call back in December 2013. Mr. ****** tried to convince me to buy other car and after I told him only wanted interedy rate reduced to prime as promised. Only then did he finally state about January 2014 that it was dependant upon credit rating. Before that no credit rating was ever mentioned.

Good afternoon,
Mr ***** purchased a car from Wallace Automobiles in February 2013, at that time the best loan rate we could secure for him based on his credit application was 14.9% which he agreed to.
Mr ***** was told at that time of purchase that it is our experience that within six to twelve months from the original loan we have had success securing customers a new loan at a lower rate if all of the customer's payments have been made on time, and the customer's credit situation has improved
Mr ***** did have us apply for credit again late in 2013, his credit situation had not improved but we were able to secure a conditional approval for a new car loan for him at 9.9%, which he chose not to accept.
Interest rates are set by lenders based on their own criteria, set for the term of the contract, and cannot be changed.
I am truly sorry if there has been a misunderstanding, but I cannot give Mr ***** what he is asking for, it is not possible for me to do so.

05/30/2013Problems with Product / Service