In Alaska, Oregon & Western Washington

Phone: (503) 802-1930

3 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 0 closed in last 12 months

06/28/2013Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Disputed warranty coverage and/or terms

Complaint: When we purchased our car we were told by the Sales Person that we would get free tires for life. We used this information as one of the MAJOR reasons for purchasing from **** ******. It is now time to get the tires and now we are told that because we didn't have our regularly scheduled service (oil changes) done at **** ****** we are not longer eligible for the Loyalty rewards program which included the free tires for life. He also informed me that we should have received a welcome packet in the mail with a loyalty rewards card. I told him I had not idea what he was talking about. After advising **** (Service Writer) of what we were told he finally advised me that if I wanted to spend $600 on tires and $129.95 on an alignment then they could "reinstate" my tires for life program. We were told by our sales person that we could have oil changes anywhere and it didn't effect our free tires or warranty.Had we been told the correct way, then we would have done things differently. In addition, the 3 times that we have been in to **** ****** for Service NO ONE explained this information.

To Whom It May Concern:
We are sorry to hear about Ms. ******'s concerns regarding our Loyalty Rewards Program. Our Loyalty Rewards Program is available to any customer that purchases a new or used vehicle from us. The benefits of this program are extensive and include tires for life. The only requirement of the Loyalty Program is that the customer perform all of the manufacturer required services and preventative maintenance at any **** ****** Dealerships Service facility. Through this program, we reward our loyal servicing customers with tires (and other benefits) at no charge when the tires are worn down to 3/32 or less due to normal wear and tear.
During the vehicle purchase process, a form explaining the Loyalty Rewards Program benefits and requirements is provided to and signed for by every customer. In addition, a new owner packet is mailed to the address provided by the customer via courier. This packet includes a complete description of the program requirements and benefits. Finally, the customer receives a follow-up call within 45 days of the purchase date to answer any questions about the vehicle or Loyalty Rewards Program. We have confirmed Ms. ****** was provided the form referenced above and signed to confirm her understanding of it. We have confirmed as well that the Loyalty Rewards Program information packet was mailed to the address provided by Ms. ****** at time of purchase.
As stated above, this program was created to reward our loyal customers for their continued business. To date, Ms. ****** has not performed any manufacturer required service or preventative maintenance at any **** ****** Dealerships Service facility. As a result, Ms. ****** has waived her membership in the program we are currently unable to extend the "tires for life" benefit to her.
We make every effort to inform our customers of the requirements and benefits of the program. If Ms. ****** would like to be reinstated in the program all she would need to do is buy four new tires at our lowest price guarantee, perform a four wheel alignment, maintain her vehicle with us, and the next two sets of tires in 80,000 miles will be replaced at no charge to her. This option is available at any time and I would be happy to arrange this for Ms. ****** if she would like to take advantage of this option.

Regards,
**** **********
Parts and Service Director
**** ****** VW/Hyundai of Portland

As stated previously, I am aware that we have not had any service performed at **** ******. This was due to us not being aware it was a requirement. If the loyalty rewards information was mailed we did not receive it.

At time of purchase, we signed paperwork after the dealership closed, the person that we signed with did not explain anything due to he was in a rush because it was his birthday.

Had we been aware of the requirements, we 100% would have had the service done there. If we have to do the service anyway, ie, oil changes etc. and we knew that it would be an issue on the loyalty rewards program if we didn't, then there is not a reason we wouldn't have done it.

The General Manager at the dealership reached out to us and said he would call us back and work something out but, of course we never heard from him.

If **** ****** is willing to discount the "lowest price guarantee" tires and alignment at a 50% discount ( I was previously quoted $700 for tires and alingment) then we will be satisfied. I think this would at least show good faith. If they are not willing to meet, then this complaint will not be able to be resolved.

I spoken with ****** on 6-13-2013 and offered to enroll her in our LRP plus program which would allow her to recieve free tires if her preforms her mainanence with a **** ****** Dealership. I offered to pay for 50% of the cost of the tires. If ****** pays the other 50% of the tires, has an alignment done, she will be elligable to enroll in the LRP plus program. I gave ****** three options for tires, ranging from $389.00 to $458.00 for four tires of which I would pay for half. I am awaiting a response from ****** so we can schedule this repair.
Regards,