BBB Accredited Business since 03/10/2010

FlatSafe Tornado Shelters, LLC

2 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

08/11/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

FlatSafe did not agree to repair the post tension cables after they cut during the installation of shelter.
We asked FlatSafe to install a shelter in our garage over the phone and the installation was scheduled on May 28, 2014. The receptionist did not inform us anything on the requirement to install a shelter in the garage. When the technician came, they just gave us a paper and said that this is agreement of the cost I agreed to pay, not mention anything else and asked me to sign the paper. However, when they started to cut the cement, they found post tension cables in our foundation and said they can't install the shelter. They asked us to request another company to dig the hole, fix the post tension cable and they would install the shelter afterwards. That would cost another $1,700. After considering the price and consulting with our builder, I decided not to install the shelter in the garage. When I called the company if they would fix the cut post tension cable, they denied. As a company to install storm shelters, should they to detect if there are post tension cables in the foundation, before they start to work (destroy the post tension cables), or at least to ask the customer about this? It is not acceptable to tell us that they can not install the shelters after destroy the post tension cables. Even worse, after things happened, they just shifted the blame on the customer not to inform them there are post tension cables. ( I even did not know what are the post tension cables before, how can I inform?) Isn't the company's responsibility to make sure they can do the job before they start? Isn't the company's responsibility to fix the cable after they destroy it?

to fix the post tension cables they had cut

There is a paragraph on the Sales Agreement that states "Homeowner is responsible for any sub-grade obstructions such as plumbing, utility lines, cables, water or any other obstruction." It further states "FlatSafe is not responsible if post tension cables are cut. It is the homeowner's responsibility to check prior to install for post tension cables." The consumer signed and initialed the acceptance of the sales agreement.

The installer began the work by making a cut into the slab and felt the presence of a post-tension cable. Per his training, he stopped what he was doing and informed the customer of the situation.

The consumer called the FlatSafe office and was provided with the contact information for a company that could properly cut and reapply stress to the cables. FlatSafe is not licensed, equipped, or trained to perform said task.

There was a language barrier that made the conversation rather difficult. One thing that was clear was that the consumer said they had been told by the home builder that they should not place a below ground shelter in the garage.

06/10/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

On 3/17/14 Flatsafe tornado shelter installed. Towards the end of April, noticed rust inside the shelter.
3/17/14 shelter installed. Inside of shelter has supposedly been painted by the company with red oxide primer. I asked if it could be painted inside with a lighter color. The company had me talk to the installer, and he said yes it was already primered no need to primer just paint it. It was paint within the week. Toward the end of April, I noticed spotting inside the shelter. When I called the company on 5/6/14 I was directed to Shane. He told me not to worry. Nothing to worry about. I talked to several paint specialists and was told rust should not be developing. I called Shane back on 5/9/14. He got very angry and told me it was all in my head. "I told you not to worry about it."

Shane and ****** did come to my home on 5/12/14. Shane immediately identified the rust. I told him it was painted with Glidden paint. ***** said he would call me the next day. Ne message so I called @ 4pm. ****** said it was my fault for paint it with latex paint. She suggested that I call the company that manufactures the red primer. I did. I was told by the manager that it makes no difference what paint I use. The primer if correctly used on a clean rust free surface will prevent any rust issues.
I want this to be properly fixed and reprinted by owner ***** ****** If not contacted, this will have to be heard by the courts.

We at FlatSafe are aware of the rust spots that appeared inside Ms. ****'s shelter after she hired a handy man to apply the lighter colored water based latex paint. We have been to the residence and observed it first hand. We have taken the concerns and complaint to our paint and primer supplier for their expert opinion and advice. They have supplied me with a product that is light in color and is an enamel paint that includes a rust inhibitor.
On 5-15-14 we contacted Ms. **** and told her that the newly acquired product will be a perfect alternative to the water based latex paint that she paid to have applied. We asked her to make contact with her handyman (or another handyman) to have him remove the latex paint so that we could return and apply the new product. At that time she told us that she was extremely busy at work for the next 2 weeks and would then be off work for an additional 2 weeks. She said she would like to wait until she was off work to proceed any further. We have not yet been contacted by her.

Storm Shelters