Failed to provide professional service; left repairs in disarrray
We drain sewage from our home into a large, partially underground, effluent container. Within the container, a lift pump raises the effluent to a pipe that, in turn, flows into the county sewer system. We discovered that the pump circuit breaker was tripped and that the pump was no longer working. About two years ago, Barberi had installed a new lift pump for $1600. So we called them. Barberi determined that, somehow, a plastic shopping bag had gotten into the pump and clogged it. They drained the effluent container and removed the shopping bag. Barberi also found that two float switches required replacement but that they did not have replacements with them. Barberi said that the would return the next day. Barberi put the system back together again in a jury-rigged way. The connection between the pump and the outflow pipe is supposed to be PVC. Barberi used a rubber coupling with two clamps, which is wrong. When we tested the pump, the rubber connection blew apart. Barberi put it back together again and, when tested, it blew apart again. Barberi's solution was to wedge an old coffee can between the container wall and the pump outlet pipe so that it would not separate. You can tell that the whole setup is jury-rigged because the pressure from the pump makes it look like the rubber coupling is going to blow apart. So now I have a hole in the ground with no automatic pump and a connection that is temporary at best. I paid them $270 for that. When I called this morning they said they would come out and replace the float switches for us but it would be $250 more. They should have come out and fixed the jury-rigged setup, but they won't without more money. As a result I have called another plumber and am terminating our relationship with Barberi.
******* charged and was paid $278. I want that money refunded.
Contact Name and Title: ****** *****, ***********
Contact Phone: XXX-XXX-XXXX
Contact Email: ***************@att.net
February 12, 2014 **** ****** hired us to service his lift station saying the pump had quit working. On February 12, 2014 my plumber arrived at 12:05 pm and departed 2:10 pm for a total of two hours at this job. We removed the grinder pump, cleaned out large amount of grease and other debris then ran our sewer machine to unstop the main sewer at the cost of $278.00. My plumber discovered large amounts (one bag full) of grease, personal wipes and other miscellaneous items inside the lift station. These items should never be put into a lift station because they will prevent the pump from working. Mr. ****** made mention of a "shopping bag" found inside the lift station, but what my plumber originally thought was a shopping bag turned out to be personal wipes upon closer inspection of contents. Mr. ****** had been informed of the problems associated with putting grease and other items down the drain during our previous service call on February 7, 2013 where we removed 5 gallons of grease, etc... from his lift station.
After manually bailing out the sewage and thoroughly cleaning the pump (in the rain) it was determined that the float switch was not working and needed to be replaced. Also, the 1 1/2" union ball valve that connects the pump to the discharge line was broken at the union - which prevented a proper re-install of the pump. My plumber quoted Mr. ****** a separate price of $218.10 to replace the float switch and valve. Mr. ****** accepted our quote and it was agreed to complete that work the next morning due to the current weather conditions. With the valve being broken it was not possible to re-install the pump and Mr. ****** would not have been able to use his plumbing over night. My plumber discussed this situation with Mr. ****** and it was agreed (by all parties involved) that we would try to rig something so he could use his plumbing until we returned the next morning. It is not our practice to "rig" plumbing but agreed to do it being that we were coming back out early the next morning and it would allow Mr. ****** to use his plumbing rather than having to go stay in a hotel for the night. My plumber collected $278.00 for the service provided that day.
The next morning (February 13, 2014) I phoned Mr. ****** to tell him the plumber was ready to come back out and he asked me if we could accept a post dated check for today's service. I informed him that was illegal and I can not accept a post dated check. Mr. ****** stated he would call me back and that was the last time we had any communication with Mr. ****** - he never called me back.
Mr. ****** never voiced any dissatisfaction, with our service or our prices, to my plumber or to me, so receiving this notice of his complaint and dissatisfaction was a complete shock!
Mr. ****** states he wants a full refund and the following: "So now I have a hole in the ground with no automatic pump and a connection that is temporary at best. I paid them $278 for that." First of all, we did not leave a hole in the ground; the lid was placed back on the lift station. Second, the $278.00 paid was for the service we provided (2-12-2014) of cleaning out his lift station (see above). Mr. ****** signed our invoice stating he acknowledged the satisfactory completion of that work; it seems he only wants a refund because I refused his request to accept an illegal post dated check for installation of the float switch and valve we were scheduled to do the next day (2-13-2014).
Mr. ****** never voiced or indicated any dissatisfaction to me or my plumber whatsoever; we were completely unaware of any dissatisfaction until we received this complaint.