Northwest Florida

BBB Accredited Business since 08/18/1999

Emerald Sands Inn

07/24/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Failure to honor promised refunds, exchanges, or credit

Complaint: Evening clerk indicated that the Property Manager would provide refund and that he was locked out of the system. ******** **** will not return calls.
My wife made a reservation for July 2-6.Upon arrival we had a choice of a smoking room downstairs or non smoking upstairs. Due to me having gout in my left foot and my wife having a broken toe on the left foot we looked at the first floor room. We rejected this room due to heavy smoke smell and not very clean. We then went to the up stairs room, which took a LONG time due to foot issues. When we arrived at the room we found the room was NOT clean. The comforter on one bed was thrown on a dresser and urine stains were on the toilet. We went back downstairs as quickly as we could and I got my wife back in our car then I limped back to the office. The time period had exceeded 15 minutes and the clerk said he was locked out of the system and could not refund for that night (7/2). He did refund for the other nights (7/3-7/6). I was given a copy of the receipt where I annotated the issues and wrote my phone number down. The clerk indicted that the property manager, ******** ****, would be able to refund for the night and I needed to call. I called 5 times and left messages and my number for ******** **** to call. She has yet to call as of this date (7/8/14).

We are sorry that Mr. and Mrs. ****** was not satisfied with their room. Mr. ****** signed off on our refund policy upon checking into our hotel, the policy is also posted at the counter where he checked in. When Mr. ****** approached the clerk with his issues almost an hour later, our clerk attempted to correct any issues Mr. ****** had. Mr. ****** refused his service and was immediately refunded $284.28 for the remainder of his stay. The room was checked by our head housekeeper and another staff. Someone had laid the folded comforter from the bed onto the dresser and there was no urine on the toilet or anywhere else in the bathroom. This being a Holiday weekend, this room was rerented with no complaints within 20 minutes of Mr. ****** departure. Again, we are sorry for his disappointment and would love to try to satisfy him on his next visit.

Initial Consumer Rebuttal
The Property Manager for Emerald Sands Inn states that "our clerk attempted to correct any issues Mr. ****** had. Mr. ****** refused his service and was immediately refunded $284.28 for the remainder of his stay.". While the amount of refund was true it was NOT a full refund. It was short the amount for the first night plus taxes. Also she claims that their clerk attempted to correct any issues, this is totally false! In fact this was the second room rejected by us. Room 109 was first and room 204 was second. Room 109 was considered only because of our injuries. We preferred to not be on the second floor so we looked at a smoking room hoping it would not smell too bad. It was not acceptable so we tried 204 even though it was on the second floor. The manager states that they did find the comforter on the dresser but states there was no urine on the toilet. The later is totally false! They had to have seen it when they cleaned it! The manager stated that they rented the room within 20 minutes. If so then there only purpose to contest what we are claiming is in order to keep money for a room that was double rented. I do NOT consider this matter closed and will not until a full refund is made!

I apologize for this customers dissatisfaction with their stay with us. Upon check in, our Refund Policy is posted at the front counter. It is also on the paperwork that they have to sign stating that they have 15 minutes to advise the front desk if they are not satisfird with their room. Our staff is trained to assist customers with any complaints. This customer was in the room for over half an hour and never called the front desk from the room or came back to the front desk within 15 minutes. Our staff is aware of our policy and has the authority to refund money if within this time limit. This customer was very rude in our lobby with our clerk and the clerk did immediately refund the remainder of his stay. Our clerk called in our on property housekeeper. They checked out the room for these complaints,changed the linen and prepared the room to be rented. The original comment said there was urine on the toilet, now he states that it had urine stains. Also stated, was that the comforter was laying on the dresser. After inspection of the room by both of our staff, no urine or urine stains was noted and they did advise that the comforter had been removed from the bed and was placed on the dresser, still folded. This room is rented daily and we have had no complaints on any stains or issues with this room. We will not be refunding the first nights stay due to the customer had the opportunity to follow the policy and check out prior to the 15 minutes or give our clerk a call and give them the opportunity to correct any problems they may have had.

I do NOT accept this 'Proposed Solution' as it is no solution at all. They took advantage of us and are twisting words to suit their own desire to keep our hard earned money. The urine 'Stains' are from dried urine which was obviously wiped off. House keeping and management are not going to admit that the bathroom was not cleaned properly as this would be a violation of health department rules. They are not refunding the money as they are greedy. I was not rude with the front desk clerk, I was firm that I wanted my money back. The computer locks the clerk out so they could not refund the money if they wanted to. I will recommend thru other sites that all people avoid this rip off motel at all costs! I know the truth, the manager does not because she was not there at the time NOR did she ever bother to call me or answer my multiple calls.

Hotels