Northwest Florida

BBB Accredited Business since 10/25/2005

Denture and Dental Services, Inc.

02/18/2013Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint: 1/18/2013

My name is ****** ****** and my wife's name is Jessie ******. We are both 70 years old and are on social security with no other income.

On Nov. 13, 2012 my wife and I went to D.D.S. (Denture & Dental Services) in Destin, FL to get an upper denture and a lower partial made for her and I needed a lower partial made.

We were told to be there at 7:45 am on 11/13/12, we got there and found the office did not open until 8:30 am. When my wife made the appointment she wrote down the time of the app't and repeated it back to "********". We both heard the time quoted 2 times to her by the lady. When we told her she made a 7:45 am appointment for us she told us she had not said that, that we were wrong.

We were taken to a room together and they went to work on her impressions. She advised the lady named "*****" that a tooth had broken out of her upper plate and that she needed it replaced. Janet told her that she could glue it back in with super glue but it would not hold. My wife told her that she had been quoted a price of 4890.00 or something in that price range. I had just about changed my mind of getting work done there after arriving so Janet ask why and I told her about the mix up in time and how long we had to wait and that I was undecided at this time, but that I had intended to get upper and lower partials, so she asked to see them, and advised me that they might be able to just "fill in" the worn places for a fee of $160 so I agreed to try that, but we talked about making a new partial bottom partial. They proceeded to make a cast of the bottom partial and left telling us to be back in mid afternoon to pick up my partials. We went to lunch and came back at the appointed time. A "*****" (lab tech) came in and started to fit my bottom partial and when she got it in she had to pry it back out as it was so tight. She returned and had bent the clasp and got it back in, did some adjustments and said OK. When we went to check out they told me I owed $660.00 and so I wrote a check for that amount, thinking it was payment on a new partial. (they had told us we would need to pay 1/2 down and the other 1/2 when we picked up the partials)) I thought that I was paying my half and my wife's 1/2 down, but when my wife checked out they charged her $890.00 for her partial. My wife was told that it would take about 3 weeks to make the partials and told us to come back then. We ask it there was a warranty on their work and was told 60 days. The next day, the clasp ****** had bent fell off rendering my lower partial useless.

We returned to them on Dec 5, 2012, and my wife was fitted with her new partials and I told ***** that the clasp had broken on the partial that she worked on, and she just gave a nervous laugh and never answered. My wife was fitted and we left.

We got sick with the flu that same week and were sick for about 3 week's. I called after Christmas and a lady by the name of ****** answered and told me that the staff would be back in another week, but that she would pull my chart and look at it and call me back.

****** called me back that same day and told me that I had a tooth replaced and a couple more thing's done. I advised her that it was my wife that had the tooth glued back in, mot me and that I thought she had my wife's chart because everything she was saying was what my wife had done. Shortly after that, a day or so, Michelle called ma and made an appointment of me to come in and talk to them on Jan 16, 2013 and that they had numbers that they went by and they could tell what they had done after looking at my partial.

Jan 16 I was there and ***** sat me down and told me what I had them do. Every time I told her something she took my chart and left the room and when she would return she would have other things wrote on the chart. Three times she left the room with my chart and on the 3rd trip back in the room I told her I wanted to speak to Dr. ******. She says ok and he comes it. ***** is busy working on my chart as he is looking at my mouth and partial and finally told me that they would fix the problem and Dr. ****** told ***** to add up the cost for me and advised him she already had it done and that my cost would be $3,600 to $3,700. I told them we were on social security and could not afford that so she ask me what else could she do for me. I told her nothing, so she told me they were done with me, and showed me the door. I tried to ask her why I should pay $660.00 for a repair, when I came there for a partial, but she had her hand on my back, pushing be toward the door, and never answered me.

Since we are on social security we have to save up for anything we have to have done and in this case we had saved for about 2 years for our dental work.

Regards,
****** E. ******

Dear Ms.Fowler,

Our office is in receipt of the information you received from ****** ******. Let me start by stating that we take great pride in doing quality work within our operation and have a skillful and sharp team. We usually resolve any issues with patients before it gets to this level, but in this rare case of an unsatisfactory experience we have been unable to come to a resolution. In the case of Mr.******, we were trying to reach a bonafide compromise, however Mr.****** left us no alternative than to defend the staff as a whole when he suggested that we, in more ways than one, were unethical and lied on numerous occasions. Misunderstandings happen, but we feel in this case our recorded notes speak for themselves. Mr ****** never stated he had a problem with our workmanship or service at first. If this had been the case Dr. ****** would have been able to give him a credit towards a new partial or other necessary work. In this case, Mr. ****** stated that we did "Nothing at all" for him. This simply is not the case. We did do the repairs/modifications to his partial at his request. In fact, Mr ****** said that he "left worse off than he came", because we not only failed to do what was contracted, but furthermore suggested that our lab ruined his partial by weakening the clasp and rendering it non-wearable! I can assure you there is nothing that the lab did that would have compromised the integrity of the clasp. The integrity was compromised due to the wear and tear of an old and used partial that Mr. ****** did not want to replace originally because it was too expensive.

We concur that Mr.****** and his wife came into the practice on 11/13/12. At that time each of them had individual consultations, which resulted in Mrs. ****** getting services rendered suitably without complaint or concern. Mr. ****** was given several options, including purchasing 2 new cast metal partials totaling $1780.00. It is our recollection of the events that Mr. ****** did not want to spend that amount of money at that time due to a loose tooth that was noted. It was decided by all to keep the existing partials until he decided what to do with the mobile tooth. The patient was told that we could replace some worn teeth on his existing partial, add some acrylic to worn areas, and get by with the partials until new partials would need to be made in the future. He was given our standard fee for this service. The patient stated that the existing frame work fit pretty well and he would rather not spend $1780 at this time. HE Chose the repair option. HE then left both of his partials in our lab for a full day. When he returned late that afternoon to pick them up, we have documented in his dental records that he was "extremely happy!" If he had an issue with the clasp the following day, why weren't we notified at that time? Why did he wait until his wife's next appointment 3 weeks later to inform us of his broken clasp, and why did he not tell us then that he felt that we had broken it?

The office was closed for the Christmas Holiday from 12/24/12 until 1/02/13. During this time Mr. ****** spoke with our answering service. They explained that our front office personnel will get back with him upon our return. I, Myself, called Mr. ****** on the Monday after we returned to the office. Mr. ****** was very pleasant and he was reassured that we would do everything possible to come to an amicable conclusion to this issue. He let us know that Ms. ****** was "still happier than a pig in mud" (their verbiage). He informed me that he felt like he left in worse shape than he came, and said the clasp had broken right away. I promptly made an appointment with him and asked that he bring in both partials so that we could explain to him again what services were executed that he initially agreed upon.

On 1/16/13 Mr. ****** came into the practice. He was greeted and taken back to our consultation room. After looking at his lower partial, we showed him where our lab replaced teeth, added acrylic, etc... just as contracted to do. The lab documented all of this work. Dr. ******'s dental assistant came in to discuss further potential options for Mr. ****** as well. Mr. ****** was given a few different alternatives, including sending the partial to an outside lab to get the clasp repaired, but Mr. ****** demanded a new partial. New treatment options were given to him, but to no settlement to the patient. At that point Dr. ****** was sympathetic to the unfortunate chain of events that led to his dissatisfaction. He was prepared to give back a portion of the funds already spent toward a new cast metal partial or other dental work that was needed. Even if a mutual solution had been made between the two parties, Dr. ****** in no way admits that he and his staff were involved in any wrong doing and he emphatically stands behind his staff's professionalism and quality of workmanship.

In closing, Dr. ****** has taken great strides over the years to assure that his patients leave his practice satisfied with the work performed. We realize that not everyone is perfect, patient nor staff member, but feel our stellar record with the BBB reflects our ability to go the extra mile in trying to alleviate unnecessary conflict. In this case, however, the patient is saying that we did NOTHING that we agreed upon for the fees in which he was quoted, and this just isn't the case. It is our rebutted statement that the service that he received was done at the usual and customary fee schedule amounts, and done to the specifications agreed upon.

Thank you for your help in this matter. If I can be of further assistance in this matter, please feel free to contact me on behalf of Dr. ****** ****** and Denture and Dental Services.

Office Administrator