If yes, click here to learn about BBB Accreditation.
This business is not BBB accredited.
Phone: (425) 455-5522 Fax: (425) 637-7295 420 116th Ave NE, Bellevue, WA 98004 View Additional Web Addresses
BBB Business Reviews may not be reproduced for sales or promotional purposes.
This company offers auto sales and services.
View Business Review Inquiries
This business is not BBB accredited.
Businesses are under no obligation to seek BBB accreditation, and some businesses are not accredited because they have not sought BBB accreditation.
To be accredited by BBB, a business must apply for accreditation and BBB must determine that the business meets BBB accreditation standards, which include a commitment to make a good faith effort to resolve any consumer complaints. BBB Accredited Businesses must pay a fee for accreditation review/monitoring and for support of BBB services to the public.
Reason for Rating
BBB rating is based on 13 factors. Get the details about the factors considered.
Customer Complaints Summary Read complaint details
|Complaint Type||Total Closed Complaints|
|Problems with Product/Service||1|
|Total Closed Complaints||1|
Customer Reviews Summary Read customer reviews
|Customer Experience||Total Customer Reviews|
|Total Customer Reviews||1|
Licensing, Bonding or Registration
This business is in an industry that may require professional licensing, bonding or registration. BBB encourages you to check with the appropriate agency to be certain any requirements are currently being met.
These agencies may include:
Type of Entity
Business ManagementGreg Johnson, General Manager
Auto Dealers - New Cars New Car Dealers (NAICS: 441110)
Alternate Business NamesBarrier Motors Inc Barrier Volvo
Customer Review Rating plus BBB Rating Summary
BBB Customer Review Rating plus BBB Rating Overview
THIS LOCATION IS NOT BBB ACCREDITED
420 116th Ave NE
Bellevue, WA 98004 Directions
What is a BBB Business Review?
We offer free reviews on businesses that include background, licensing, consumer experience and other information such as governmental actions that is known to BBB. These reviews are provided for businesses that are BBB accredited and also for businesses that are not BBB accredited.
About BBB Business Review Content & Services:
Some Better Business Bureaus offer additional content & services in BBB Business Reviews.
The additional content & services are typically regional in nature or, in some cases, a new product or service that is being tested prior to a more general release.
Not all enhanced content & services are available at all Better Business Bureaus.
Types of Complaints Handled by BBB
BBB handles the following types of complaints between businesses and their customers so long as they are not, or have not been, litigated:
- Advertising or Sales
- Billing or Collection
- Problems with Products or Services
- Guarantee or Warranty
We do not handle workplace disputes, discrimination claims or claims about the quality of health or legal services.
BBB Complaint Process
Your complaint will be forwarded to the business within two business days. The business will be asked to respond within 14 days, and if a response is not received, a second request will be made. You will be notified of the business's response when we receive it (or notified that we received no response). Complaints are usually closed within 30 business days.
What is BBB Advertising Review?
BBB promotes truth in advertising by contacting advertisers whose claims conflict with the BBB Code of Advertising. These claims come to our attention from our internal review of advertising, consumer complaints and competitor challenges. BBB asks advertisers to prove their claims, change ads to make offers more clear to consumers, and remove misleading or deceptive statements.
What government actions does BBB report on?
BBB reports on known government actions that are relevant to the business's marketplace dealings with the public.
BBB Reporting Policy
As a matter of policy, BBB does not endorse any product, service or business.
BBB Business Reviews are provided solely to assist you in exercising your own best judgment. Information in this BBB Business Review is believed reliable but not guaranteed as to accuracy.
BBB Business Reviews generally cover a three-year reporting period. BBB Business Reviews are subject to change at any time.
Complaint Trends - Last 3 Years
Customer Review Trends
BBB Customer Review Rating plus BBB Rating Overview
BBB Customer Reviews Rating represents the customers opinions of the business. The Customer Review Rating is based on the number of positive, neutral and negative customer reviews posted that are calculated to produce a score.
|Customer Review Experience||Value|
|Positive Review||5 points per review|
|Neutral Review||3 points per review|
|Negative Review||1 point per review|
BBB letter grades represent the BBB's opinion of the business. The BBB grade is based on BBB file information about the business. In some cases, a business' grade may be lowered if the BBB does not have sufficient information about the business despite BBB requests for that information from the business.
BBB Letter Grade Scale
Star Rating scale
BBB Customer Review Rating plus BBB Rating is not a guarantee of a business' reliability or performance, and BBB recommends that consumers consider a business' BBB Rating and Customer Review Rating in addition to all other available information about the business. If the BBB Rating is NR then only Customer Reviews are used for the Star Rating.
Problems with Product/Service
Read Complaint Details
Complaint: My car met "Steering wheel locked" issue for several times so I went to this dealer. After two days I was told it was because the battery went bad. I was suspicious because I tried charging the battery and jump starting, but neither did work. Anyway, after spending over $600 for replacing a battery, the issue was gone......temporarily. The issue happened several times after the repair, apparently the dealer didn't fix this issue at all. If only replacing the battery, I would like to do it in ****** which will be much cheaper than this dealer. Four weeks later, my car was towed to the dealer again due to the same issue. The dealer didn't provide me any vehicles or shuttles to get home, at last we used Uber to get home. The next day, I got a call from the dealer telling me I need to pay $876 plus tax to fix this issue this time. I asked him whether he could ask Volvo NA for a good-will repair since it is a safety issue, he said no. I asked him whether it is possible to just remove the steering wheel lock, he said no even though he was not a technician. He didn't even want to confirm with the Volvo NA technicians. A few hours later he called back to offer me a "better" price at $649. I had no choice, only let they do. Two days later, I got to pick up my car. I wanted to use the 10% off coupon from their website, but they refused because they told me my price was already after coupon. But before that I never heard of such "coupon", and I didn't see the applied coupon in the final invoice and repair details. I wanted to talk to the service manager, he refused because the service manager was in some meeting. I asked service manager's number, he also refused. He also threatened me they won't cover my rental car if I didn't pick up my car that day. I had no choice. Later I found the service manager's cell phone and left a message asking for explanation. But I got nothing until now.
Desired Settlement: 1. Written explanation of the reason why they didn't honor the coupon from their website. 2. Compensate me $500 for the incurred cost and my time lost due to their incapable repair. It includes $150 towing cost, $15 Uber cost, the whole afternoon time I lost due to the broken car, and my time spent on dealing with this issue.
Client was in on October 22, 2015 at 67,331 miles for a no start condition. We inspected
the vehicle and found that the battery was totally dead and found an overheated battery cable.
Both basic maintenance I wear items. Both of these issues had to be addressed before any further
diagnosis, Client requested Volvo to cover repairs but as the vehicle was 3 years and 17,000 miles
out of warranty no coverage was provided. Cllent authorized repairs and vehicle was tested all
working Ok at that time. Extended 10% off to client as goodwill gesture.
Vehicle retuned November 30, 2015 at 68,030 for a no start I steering lock issue. Vehicle
was inspected and found a faulty steering column lock. Quoted repair of $820.00. Client again
asked that Volvo cover the repairs to his vehicle. Submitted request for assist to Volvo and
assistance was again declined based on service history (car was in at 56,000 miles for a no start in
relation to an accident the car had been in), and time out of warranty. Explained to client that
based on time and miles out of warranty would be unable to have repairs covered by any type of
warranty. Also explained to client that if factory goodwill assistance is ever offered it is on a
prorated basis and although Volvo would not cover the repairs AN Volvo Bellevue would assist
with 20% of the expense (this would have been in line with what Volvo would have offered to
assist with) Client agreed to repairs and vehicle was fixed. Client came to pick up the vehicle and
brought in a 10% off coupon and advisor explained to the client that unfortunately we would be
unable to apply an additional I 0% on top of the 20% discount we had already offered. The
coupon stated cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers.
According to our notes client was in a loaner at no charge to them on the first repair and
was in a loaner once the vehicle was diagnosed at the second repair- client was offered shuttle
service also at both visits.
Absorbed loaner expense of $260
I was never contacted by Greg *******, so I think there are some misunderstandings between Greg's statements (I guess it was told by the service manager and service advisor) and the fact:
1. The car had the same steering wheel locked issue when it was towed to the AutoNation Volvo Bellevue on 10/22/2015. After the diagnosis (charged me $135 for the diagnosis), the dealer told me it was caused by the bad battery. I asked them whether the steering wheel lock is bad since the car showed me the error message "Steering wheel locked", they said they had checked the part and the steering wheel lock is good. I doubted but still trusted they are professional, so I agreed to proceed the repairs. But actually they were wrong, because I met the same "Steering wheel locked" issue just five weeks later and the car was towed to the dealer again on 11/30/2015. This time they told me it was caused by the bad steering wheel lock. Apparently they didn't find the root cause at the first time. Greg said "Both of these issues had to be addressed before any further diagnosis", but there was no "further diagnosis" performed actually. If they did, it wouldn't waste me and my family the whole afternoon waiting for the towing truck in a freezing winter day. So because their incomplete and unprofessional work, I think they should compensate me for the trouble it caused (the second repair on 11/30/2015), the towing cost and the time we wasted (including the ruined afternoon for my family and my time dealing with the dealer for the second repair).
2. Greg said my car was in at 56000 miles for a no start condition, but I didn't remember it. I am pretty sure the car was towed in on 10/22/2015 due to the steering wheel lock issue for the first time. Please remind me with the service/repair copy if I was wrong.
3. Greg said they explained to me the details about the request for goodwill repair to Volvo NA, but it was not true. Their service advisor Chris K****** told me they won't request the good will repair for me because they thought Volvo NA won't approve it based on "their experiences". Chris K****** also threatened me they won't give me the better price if I contacted the Volvo NA for the goodwill repair. Apparently it was also a lie. Later I tried to talk to the service manager Jason V*****, he told me he just sent the request to the Volvo NA, but I didn't get any updates from them later about the request results (until I got Greg's explanation through bbb).
4. As to the repair price, the service advisor Chris K****** quoted me $876 instead of $820 for the first time over the phone. When I was thinking whether I should proceed or find another dealer, Chris said he will talk to their manager to see whether they could give me a better price. A few minutes later he called back to told me they would like to do $649. I was never told it was a 20% off discount from them (until I got Greg's explanation through bbb). I was thinking $876 is the listing price (like MSRP of a car) while $649 is the actual price (like the actual sale price of a car), just like no one buys a car at MSRP price. Considering the 10% off coupon from their website, I think I can proceed. If I knew I couldn't use the 10% coupon, I may change my mind to find a cheaper dealer or workshop.
5. Greg said they offered shuttle service at both visits. It was not true, they didn't offer us shuttle service for the second visit, we used Uber to get home.
6. Greg didn't mention the service advisor Chris threatened me they won't cover the rental car cost if I didn't pick up my car on 12/2/2015 when I had problem with the 10% off coupon. It left me no choice. I contacted their service manager, left voice mail, but never got response.
**** Please See Attached Documents ****
The following Is in regard to complaint ID ********. We received a notice dated December 21,
3. At both service visits October 22, 2015 and November 30, 2015 as requested by the consumer
1. I have mentioned twice in my previous statments that both visits to AutoNation Volvo Bellevue on 10/22/2015 and 11/30/2015 were due to the same reason: "Steering wheel locked", but AutoNation Volvo Bellevue always tried to bypass this fact in their response. The main reason why I had this complaint is because AutoNation Volvo Bellevue didn't find the root cause of the problem and fix it on my first visit, which caused my second visit one month later wasting our time and money. After the repair of my first visit, I talked to Jason V*****, AutoNation Volvo Bellevue's service manager. I asked him again the reason for the "Steering wheel locked" issue, he told me he was sure it was caused by the bad battery. (I would like Greg to confirm with Jason). Apparently it was wrong because the same problem happend again even they replaced the bad battery. Either AutoNation Volvo Bellevue didn't find the root cause on my first visit due to their incompetence, or they knew the root cause but lied to me. I would like Greg to give me a clear explanation on that.
2. I am not aware of the no-start condition on 1/2/2013, but the car was in a body shop at that time.
3, 4. I have mentioned twice in my previous statments that (1) the service advisor Chris K****** told me they didn't file the request to Volvo NA because they thought it would not be approved based on their experience. Later I talked to the service manager Jason V***** who told me they have filed the request but it has been declined. Here I didn't complain you didn't do it, instead I complained the service advisor Chris K****** didn't tell me the truth. (2) Neither service advisor Chris K****** nor service manager Jason V***** mentioned "20% cost assistance" before I paid the repair (Greg can confirm with them). My understanding of your price $876 vs $684 is like their MSRP and Sale price of their car since no one buys a car at MSRP. Again my complaint is not because AutoNation Volvo Bellevue didn't provide cost assistance to me, instead the complaint is because they didn't explain it to me clearly. The reason why I accepted your repair price because I considered there is a 10% off coupon I can use, or else I may not choose them to repair.
5. On my second visit, I told them I needed shuttle service to go home, but their manager (I didn't remember his name) told me their shuttle service is not avaliable at that time. They told me there is someone who may help us, but he was washing cars at that time, so I need to wait. I waited 20 minutes but the man still didn't show up. I asked the manager again, he said he could not tell me how long I still need to wait. Then I called Uber because I didn't want to waste another hours there.
AutoNation Volvo Bellevue said they ensure their clients provided the highest level of service, but unfortunately it is not true. After the second repair, I tried to contact their service manager hoping he would give me some explanation on the repair process, but I never heard from them. I tried to contact them at all ways such as emails, voice mail, but never got any response, so I had to file this complaint.
By the way, I talked to a salesman to give me a trade-in estimate on my car on my second visit, but as usual I didn't get any response from him. I am not sure how AutoNation Volvo Bellevue provides their clients highest level of service.
I would like Greg to talk to Chris K****** and Jason V*****, checked their online chat records or service appointment records (if they keep) to verify my statements.
Customer Reviews Summary