BBB Accredited Business since 09/11/2003

A. D. Stetzel Roofing, Inc.

06/24/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Roof was replaced. Aluminum drip edge was supposed to be brown to match house trim (not even close).
On May 3rd, **** ******* gave us an estimate on replacing our roof (dated May 6th). We accepted the bid, and paid half the estimate. We chose brown drip edging (we were told would match our dark brown house trim) instead of black (color of shingles). After seeing the color of the drip edge, we contacted Mr. ******* and informed him we were not happy with the drip edge color. He responded that we chose brown and there wasn't anything he could do about it, without tearing off the new shingles. ******* roofing completed the installation the next day. On my 10th, Mr. ******* came to the house to finish work on the drip edge which had been poorly installed. Mr. ******* asked for the remainder of his money, and I explained to Mr. ******* that I wanted my wife to see the "finished" installation before I would write another check. Mr. ******* asked if I would give him "something" so he could "pay the guys". I asked how much he needed to pay the guys and he replied ****** I gave Mr. Stezel a check for ******

The roofers did not leave any extra shingles. I am amazed that they had exactly enough shingles in the opened bundles. I would have expected an opened bundle to be left behind (I paid for them), in case a shingle needs replaced.

There is a "stripe" of color going up the garage. I would have expected the roofers to do a better job of off-setting the shingles to ensure that didn't happen.

I am requesting to not pay Stetzel Roofing the remaining ******** from the estimate. That amount should almost cover the cost of having the house trim (including the drip edge) re-painted so that it matches. I paid College Pro Painters ***** in the summer of 2010 to paint the trim, and while I don't expect them to do it for that price four years later, it shouldn't be too much more than *********

I put a brown drip litle mark. Thor they didn't like it and I ask 4 or 5 times what to do. I try to paint last wk didn't like color will try again.

As I said before, Mr ******* showed up UNANNOUNCED and was going to spray paint the drip edge with a can of black paint. I have told him that this is unacceptable. I am looking into having the drip edge painted in conjunction with re-painting the house trim. I do NOT know how to make Mr. ******* understand the difference between brown(tan) which he put on and brown(chocolate) which we chose and he assured us (the brown drip edge) would match. How many times do I have to say that we would have chosen black drip-edge (not spray paint) instead of what he used?

A D Stetzel would be willing to deduct $*** of balance to help paint fascia and drip. I hope this will help

I have left 2 voice-mails with Mr. ******* asking where he procured the shingles and drip-edge, and what the color code on the drip-edge was. I am reasonably certain (but cannot confirm) that the materials came from a local ********** The drip-edge that Mr. ******* used appears to be royal brown, a stock ********* color, which does not match the house trim. ******'s also carries drip-edge in coffee, but that is a special order color. I would have waited for coffee (which appears to be acceptable). I do not know why Mr. ******* would not return my calls asking about the drip-edge color, or why he would not have asked "there are three browns, which one would you like".

The bid from the painter to make the drip-edge match is more than the ******** from the roof estimate.

I do not feel I should have to give Mr. ******* any more money, as I have little confidence in his work at this time, and do not feel I could call upon him for warranty work if it should become required.

Roofing Contractors, Roofing Service Consultants, Skylights