Northern Indiana

BBB Accredited Business since 10/09/2008

Dan's Painting & Drywall

11/26/2012Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: None of the Above - Customer Service Complaint Issue

Complaint: Work was not done in a satisfactory manner & work was sloppy and no clean up was done.
We had our complete interior of our home done. He came across as knowing alot about painting and drywall compared to the others we received estimates from. He was contacted in July 2012 to paint the interior for the week of Sept. 17, 2012. He came to start painting oon Sept.19, 2012 around 5pm from another job. The home was vacant as we were having some foundation repairs. He did no clean up not even when he got paint on the floor of my new bathroom and my husband had to come in a 5 am to clean the floors so the carpet and vinyl could be done. He did not paint the baseboards that we had removed in the kitchen so the floor could be laid. He quoted us $****** for a hole in the family room made by a franklin stovepipe, but decided not to complete this and siad he would give us $****** off the final price. He ended up giving us $*** and change off and was so slick that I did not see that he had only given us $***. and change. He painted over tape that was found on a door to a bedroom and also, I don't know what he did in the bathroom but the ceiling is already peeling as of this date. He did not work a whole day but worked us in after he did another job even though we had scheduled him in July and were waiting for the carpet and kitchen floor to be laid so we could move back into the home, since we were paying to live somewhere else while the work was being done Would like to be reimbursed for having the hole fixed, the bathroom to be repainted especially the ceiling and repainting of the doors.

Contact Name and Title: *** ******* (Owner)
Contact Phone: *******1
Contact Email: *******************@msn.com
Response. Number 1. On cleaning up I had told customer that they would be responsible for cleaning up drywall dust from all the crack repairs and that I would clean up the heavy trash like, plastic and tape. All there was - was drywall dust which I did clean as much as I could and again the customer was told this up front on the day I did estimate and day of job start up. The bathroom floor had drywall mud which is water clean up. The day I came to pick up final check I told Mr. & Mrs. ****** that I would have my girlfriend and I come in and clean the floor, Paint the couple baseboards and touch up anything that needed it. I gave them 8 days after I finished on 9/25/2012 to look everything over. I showed up on 10/3/2012 to pick up final payment. As for the baseboards in kitchen Mr. ****** had put them up and didn't tell me where they were.
Also on the day I did estimate the customers home was very clustered, very dirty from not cleaning, they had cat FECES on the floor in there home that I stepped in and had it on my shoes, the house smelled horrible from the feces and cat URINE. I also noticed food stains, ketchup, mustard stains, grease from cooking on the walls in kitchen and all over the cabinet doors. I told them that walls and cabinets needed be cleaned before I can paint and that it was their responsibility to do so. On the day I came in to start painting and repairs the walls in the kitchen and cabinets wasn't clean, the food stains were still all over the walls and cabinet doors and the house wasn't totally empty like they said it would be. There was some small furniture in 2 bedrooms, 1 bedroom closet was half full of items and clothes, the hall closet was completely full of items, the doors in 2 bedrooms and hallway were off the tracks and laying on the floor. NOTE: The doors were supposed to have been cleaned by customer and still hung up on the closets, I told the customer to have them wiped down and ready for paint and not laying on the floor. Mr. ****** said he would make sure it got down and it didn't, he also stated to me that his wife Mrs. ****** doesn't clean house and he made several jokes about her being obese and Lazy to me, my son, his girlfriend and my girlfriend.
Response number 2. Bathroom ceiling.
Because of the roof leaking everywhere I had told Mr. and Mrs. ****** that there was no workmanship guarantee on any of the crack repairs or any problems on ceiling because with moisture behind drywall from leaking roof I can not guarantee that type of work and Mrs. ****** said okay. I have 3 witnesses that was there when that was brought to my attention.
Response number 3. Credit and Payment.
Mr. ****** told me that his roofers was going to cut out the stove pipe topper on the ceiling in the enclosed garage room. Everyday I was there up to my final day the roofers never showed up to remove the stove pipe topper. When I showed up on 10/3/2012 to collect final payment Mr. ****** stated the roofers finally showed up and removed the topper and I had explained to him that what I would do since I was already done and that the roofers didn't remove the topper like Mr. ****** said they would before I finished job that I would credit the money back to them. On Invoice number **** which I will provide a copy to BBB at request it will show on page 3 a credit of -$***. Mrs ****** stated it should of been $*** so I told both Mr and Mrs ****** I would deduct and additional $****** to make her final bill $2100. from $226.75. That's a total of $226.75 credit to them (and I also told them since they told me not to come in and clean bathroom floor and paint the few pieces of trim which I clearly told them that since my girlfriend and I were there we would come in and take care of any problems they had and again Mr and Mrs ****** said no it's ok and that they would take care of it). That the other $***** of the $****** would be for them for cleaning the small area bathroom floor and paint approx. 10 linear foot of baseboards.
Also In middle bedroom there was wallpaper on North wall that Mrs. ****** was going to leave and didn't want anything done to the wall. On the day I came in to collect down payment Mrs ****** stated to me that a family or friend came in and removed the wallpaper and Mrs ****** said to just repair the cracks and paint the wall and add it to final bill.
So what I did was told her on the day I came to collect final payment that it would be $*** additional and I told her that I decided not to charge her and just keep it for the cleaning of the bathroom floor and painting of approx 10 linear foot kitchen baseboards. So now I had given Mr and Mrs ****** a total credit of $******.
Mr and Mrs ****** thanked me several times and was grateful and then I get a dispute from them. If anyone who is trying to be SLICK it's Mr and Mrs ******. I do not appreciate being called slick and assuming I had ripped them off when in return it is Mr and Mrs ****** that are the scammers.
Just to note; When Mr and Mrs ****** came to me and my girlfriend at Home Depot they both stated and were upset because every painter they called either didn't show up or showed up and never sent them an estimate so I made sure we showed, did the estimate and came on the day the needed us and for the record I showed up between 3:30-4:30 everyday and stayed until 9:30-10:30 to get the work done in time for the carpet. Both Mr and Mrs ****** were told up front that we were already booked in work and that I couldn't show until the early evenings and they were okay with it because we were the only painters to show and hand in an estimate.

OFFER:
There will be no offer at all since I had already given a $****** credit back to Mr and Mrs ****** and that they were told up front that there was no guarantee on workmanship for the repairs due to the leaking roof and the shifting of the house. I went beyond what any contractor would of done. I made every effort to come in to take care of any problems the day I collected final payment after giving Mr and Mrs ****** 8 days to look things over just to have both Mr and Mrs ****** tell me no it's okay we will take care of the bathroom floor cleaning and paint the few pieces of kitchen trim. $****** - the $*** for hole repair, is more then enough to compensate for cleaning a 3 foot by 3 foot area of floor in bathroom and paint approx. 10 linear foot of kitchen trim.

Iwish to address several items in response. 1 My husband is 63 with heart problems and I amy 65 with problems with knees and back. This is the reason we wanted to have a professional do the painting that we had done in the past. Our home was cluttered because we were moving out of our home to have our fondation repaired so there were boxes packed all over the house. It was a little dirtier than normal do to the same, however, there was not any cat feces on the floor anywhere in the home. We scrubbed the cabinets as well as we could and they looked clean when we moved out of the home on 8-29-12.I do not remember being told that he would clean up the drywall mud or the paint when he came to get the final check. What he said, that I remember, is him saying "that cleans up with water, just wait a week or so and wash it off."We moved back in our home on 9-30-12 so did not have the 8 days as stated. aaaaaaai guess if he thought the home was so dirty he should have pasted on the job.
2. There is no statment on the estimate that the roof needed to be done to fix the hole in the garage/family room.
3. Yes, we did thank him several times,because what he did looked good. As I stated before it was the clean up we objected to.
My perspective is that a professional painter would do what he could with the what there is, if any additional problems arise, he cwould contact the client and see what they wanted to be done. I am not going to continue goinb back and forth on this issue. I am willing to change my desired resoolution to ***** we will pay the the rest for fixing the hole in the ceiling and repainting the bathroom ceiling and doors.

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.

Painting Contractors, Commercial Painting Contractor, Painters - Commercial or Residential