BBB Accredited Business since 03/09/1988

D O McComb & Sons

08/21/2014Problems with Product / Service
11/14/2013Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Trying to scam me into services I did not need and not necessary!
On Sept. 26th I went to talk about a simple cremation for my Dad who was going to pass. Which was in my allowed budget. When my Dad passed I called DOMcCombs on Oct. 3,2013. On Oct.4th, 2013, I went there to make arrangements for my Deceased Father. When I walked in I asked to see my Dad, if he was there. The gentlemen **** told me he was not there and I needed to make an appointment to view my Dad. He then took me in a room and we started talking about arrangements of which I told him The amount of insurance my Dad had. Well, as we spoke he would not give me the options. He told me about all the charges and what I HAD to do. First of all I wanted a simple cremation. He insisted that my Dad be embalmed costing ******* or I would pay **** a day then after 72 hours **** An hour to keep him cool. Then it was money to clean the body, money to dress my Dad. All the time saying it was for my Dad's dignity. I was distraught from losing my Dad. And when I asked questions comparing this to my Mom's cremation in another state he kept talking and ignored my questions. Just adding charges for my Dads Dignity. I told him I needed a minute and went outside to call my Brother. I then told him I spoke to my brother who thought I was getting ripped off. That we had seen papers at the Hospice that were not as expensive. Again all he would reply is my Dads Dignity. I stopped and went to another funeral home. My Dad did Not need to be embalmed, washed and dressed. He was clean from the Hospice Home. I had to pay for DOMcCombs to pick up my Dad. My complaint is why do you try to prey on grief and try to rip me off. My funds were limited. All for Dignity. My Dad is in Heaven his shell is on Earth. He wanted a simple cremation .

Reimbursement of the charges do to the fact I was mislead about their procedures.

Dear Ms. ******;
Please accept my condolences on the passing of your father.

I've had the opportunity to review the file discuss this unfortunate situation with **** ******. It is our policy to be as transparent as possible and give all options to each and every family to be able to make informed and educated choices.

We never performed or charged for any of the mentioned services on the complaint form. The only charge from D O McComb & Sons is the "Transfer of Remains" fee of $*** there weren't any other charges or attempt to "scam" and you made the decision to utilize an industrial cremation service.

Since the only charge is the charge is the transfer, what would you thing is fair for trained personnel, specialized equipment and vehicle to do this?

Whatever you decide will the the charge.

We do pride ourselves on having the finest staff, building and equipment available for all families of any means. We provide more services to financially assisted families that any funeral service company in the area.

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding you may have had with Mr. ***** and I'm disappointed that this is my first notification of this concern.

Respectfully,

***** *****
General Manager

As previously stated. I would not have went to DO MCCOMBS if I knew they could not work with what I had. I was there a week prior to my Dad passing. Spoke to ***** and told him the situation. He said it would be no problem. The Dignity pitch throughout the conversation. The extra charges that did not need to occur had me go elsewhere. I feel you take advantage of grief. Your Specialty person and vehicle was a person driving a commercial van. He told me he was there to pick up my Dad, but in reality was there to pick up someone else. I feel you should get nothing for being misleading from day one.

Funeral Directors, Funeral Directors Equipment & Supplies, Burial Vaults, Funeral Homes, Crematories, Cremation Urns, Cremation Services, Burial Advisory Service