BBB Accredited Business since 10/01/1983

Certified Burglar & Fire Alarm Systems Inc.

12/11/2013Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Qouted ******* Charged ******** Technicians worked for 2 - 2.5 hrs. Charged 3.5 hrs.
Was quoted $** an hour rate for services from ***** at Certified. I informed ***** to call me at least one day in advance to the technicians showing up as I would have to drive 1.5 hours to meet the technicians at my property. I never received a call from ***** to notify when the technicians would be performing the service. The technicians called me that they were at my property to perform the service. I had to immediately leave work and drive 1.5 hours to meet them. Two technicians showed up and I was charged **** an hour. The technicians were at my property for 2 to 2.5 hours, but I was charged for 3.5 hours. One of the technicians wasn't even certified because he was in training. When I called ***** at Certified about the bill, he was extremely rude. He said he forgot to call because he was too busy. He said either pay **** an hour for 3.5 hours or pay *** an hour for 7 hours. He informed me that the 3.5 hours was because he was charging for drive time from their shop and back to their shop. He lowered the bill to *** per hour because the one technician was in training, but raised the hours from 3.5 to 4. When I said that I was extremely upset with the situation and probably wouldn't use Certified again, he replied "Ok" and abruptly hung up on me. Horrible customer service. It shows me that Certified is all about the money and not customer service.

My original bill was **** for the two technicians at $130 an hour for 3.5 hours. After calling ***** about the bill, he lowered it to **** for one technician at *** an hour for 4 hours. I feel that I should only pay *** an hour for 2.5 hours max for a total of ******** The technicians were only at my property for 2 to 2.5 hours. ***** charging me for drive time and the technicians having to wait on me is absurd. He never called me to inform me when the technicians would be there.

My name is ***** ***** and I am the sole owner of Certified Alarm since my husband's unexpected death in 2012. Needless to say, this entire situation has me very upset as Certified has never had a complaint for decades, if ever. As a family owned and local business since 1925, we have always maintained our BBB A+ rating, and I am distressed to think it is in jeopardy since my only intention was to help this consumer. He is not now nor has he ever been a customer of Certified Alarm. Occasionally, we will lend our services to churches, schools, etc. who require immediate fire inspections, or we might subcontract an assignment if the request fits within our realm of expertise. Unfortunately, this incident and one other that happened several years ago have convinced me that I will NEVER do work for anyone who is not a customer or who does not sign a service agreement first.

I have enclosed a lot of documentation:
• My involvement with Mr.*. began on November 6th after reading the surprising e-mail. All correspondence is provided.
• I asked my CCTV technician to call Mr. * on Nov. 7th to apologize (because the customer is always right), and I also asked him to tell Mr. *. that I would cancel all charges because of his dissatisfaction with our company.
• The copy of the original bill does NOT cite the things we installed at no charge including all
wire, the BNC connectors, and the power supply (for which we had to pay a re-stocking fee).
« We have provided a transcript of the phone conversation in which Mr. *. noted a "detestable
" inflection from our technician. I neither heard the same tone nor read it between the
lines.

In terms of resolution, I have already offered to negate this transaction, so I can't think of a more amicable outcome.
I still don't know how Mr. *. came to call upon Certified for his service unless he was searching the web and found our site. Of course, we have a website to attract potential customers, but I never expected a situation like this.

I must say that I am highly offended by the bullying tactics used by this consumer. I am appalled that he would cloud a business issue by trying to intimidate me by referring to his military career. His undue influence is unacceptable and has no place in this complaint.

In conclusion, I regret to inform you that I am leaving for my very first vacation since my husband's death on 4/25/12. I am departing for Europe in the morning and will not return until Thanksgiving.
I would appreciate a period of grace time if I need to respond again. Otherwise, feel free to contact any of the other individuals involved in this action.

***********
President/Owner

BBB,

I have never dealt with a more horrible person in my life. Ms. ***** is playing the "poor widow" role by bringing up her husband's 'unexpected death' over a year and a half ago. Her very first sentence in her response mentions her husband's 'unexpected death.' I have never known her husband or ever spoken with her about her husband, so his death has no involvement in this case. Bullying? I was trying to portray to Ms. ***** that I am a person raised with integrity, respect, and composure. Those are attributes that military officers portray. I wanted to her to know that I wasn't just some scam artist trying to get work for free. Ms. **** portrays none of these attributes. She has attacked my military service and has shown herself to be a bully. Her husband's untimely death in 2012 has no bearing on this situation what so ever. Ms. **** should be ashamed of herself. I never knew her husband or his death over a year and a half ago, and it has no place in our dealings. I even tried to cancel the complaint once Ms. **** got involved (I called in the very next day after she emailed me). So how does she say that I bullied her? It is obvious that she is bringing up her husband's death for sympathy. This is merely a tactic used to cloud a business issue and to influence myself and the BBB. This is the exact statement that I wrote about my military service: "In no way was I rude, disrespectful, or in any way not a gentleman. I am a 14 year veteran in the Air Force and an Officer with 5 overseas deployments. I know how to show respect and have integrity." I am appalled that Ms. **** claims I bullied her by those sentences. It is obvious to me that she is attacking me as a person, and that is unacceptable.

In regards to the times her technicians worked and the amount of time they supposedly subtracted, I will supply my phone records showing that Ms. ****'s technician (referred to as SB) first called me at 9:14 am to let me know that they were at my property. He left a voice mail and I returned his call at 9:16 am, which went unanswered. I called again at 9:17 am and the technician answered. I had to call and inconvenience my father and have him drive to the property to meet the technicians. My father met the technicians at the property, but was unable to locate the key. Certified was given guidance to call me in advance so I could be at the property to let them in. They failed to do this. The technicians left and my father called me at 10:10 am to have the technicians return since he found the key. Ms. **** states that my father called the technicians to have them return, and that it is not true. I called the technicians cell phone (referred to as SB by Ms. ****) at 10:10 am. My father had no contact information for anyone at Certified. The techncians returned to the property and began work at 10:30 am. Ms. **** states that the technicians called back to the station at 1:15 pm at the Indiana/Ohio state line which is 15 minutes from my business. That means her technicians only worked at my property for 2 hours and 30 minutes. She is claiming they worked from 8:15 am to 1:15 pm (5 hours total) and they deducted 1 and 1/2 hours for forgetting to call me. This is absolutely not true. Please let me know where to send my phone records that show the conversations between myself and the technician known as SB. I can also supply the voicemail from SB at 9:14 am stating that he is at my property and needed access.
I request an exact voice copy of the phone conversation Ms. **** supplied be mailed to myself and the BBB. Her typed out version doesn't show the demeanor of her technician, and thus improperly displays the conversation. Anyone can type out a conversation and make it seem harmless. Her technician was defensive during the conversation and showed downright detest to be being questioned about the bill.
Ms. ****'s records show that I was quoted *** an hour on my initial phone call, October 23. I was then charged $130 an hour when I received the bill. This is what triggered my response to Certified. My phone call to Certified's technician and his negative demeanor triggered my response to the BBB. As I stated to Ms. **** in my response: "I expect to be charged and treated fairly, and that is all I wanted out of this." I merely wanted an improper bill fixed; instead, I got personally attacked. She is gravely upset with the fact that I contacted the BBB and has began attacking me personally (which is the definition of a bully). This shows that she is only concerned with her business's image and will disrespect people to get what she wants. She wants to maintain her BBB A+ rating. Congratulations Ms. ****, you have disrespected a military veteran which gives you the freedom of speech, the freedom which allows you to have a business in operation for 89 years, the freedom to take a vacation, and the freedom to bully people. I feel sorry for you and will pray for you. No person who has character would attack a person the way you have.
Do you accept the response from Certified?: I view the response from Ms. **** as appalling, disrespectful, and down right hateful. I do not, nor will I ever, deal with a person of her character. I no longer want to have any interaction with Ms. **** or Certified through BBB or in any other regard. I want this dreadful dealing to go away as soon as possible.

Burglar Alarm Systems - Dealers, Monitoring & Service, Surveillance Equipment, Sales & Service, Security Control Equipment & System Monitors, Smoke Detectors & Alarms