The BBB’s 2014 Torch Awards for Marketplace Ethics are underway…and we need your help to nominate worthy businesses and non-profits for this esteemed award! Think of companies that you know and do business with, or the one that you work for, that adhere to the motto “do unto others as you would have done unto you.” We encourage you to make copies of the nomination form to allow you to nominate several companies that you feel are deserving of the award.
The Better Business Bureau of North Alabama established this annual awards program more than 16 years ago to gain public recognition for local companies that maintain a solid commitment to conduct their business practices in an ethical fashion. The Torch Award is designed to promote not only the importance of ethical business practices, but the willingness and efforts made by outstanding businesses to ensure that our marketplace remains fair and honorable for all. Winners of the North Alabama Torch Awards are eligible to go on to compete at the national level for the Council of Better Business Bureaus’ Torch Award for Marketplace Ethics.
The local award is open to all businesses in Colbert, Cullman, DeKalb, Franklin, Jackson, Lauderdale, Lawrence, Limestone, Madison, Marion, Marshall and Morgan, Winston Counties in North Alabama. Companies may be nominated by businesses, organizations or individuals.
Torch Award Criteria
Candidates for the Better Business Bureau Torch Award for Marketplace Ethics will be evaluated by an independent prestigious panel of judges from the business and academic community against the following criteria:
· High ethical standards of behavior toward customers, suppliers, shareholders, employees, and communities in which they do business;
· Demonstrated ethical practices surrounding their buyer/seller relationships;
· Longstanding history/reputation of ethical practices in the marketplace (minimum 3 years in business):
· Marketing, advertising, communications, and sales practices which reflect a true representation of what is being offered in the marketplace;
· Acknowledgment of ethical marketplace practices by industry peers and in the communities where they do business;
· Ethics policies that are effectively communicated to employees;
· Ethics policies that are designed to give long-term value to shareholders, customers, etc.
· Training programs that assist employees in carrying out established ethics policies.
Deadline for entry is August 15, 2014
Please use our online form to Nominate a Deserving Company.