BBB Accredited Business since 08/29/2001

Jerry King Company, LLC HVAC

02/25/2013Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Billed for repair work which I was told was under warranty.
On or about 7/5/11 Jerry King came out to check my a/c unit which was not working; he said the compressor was bad and he would send his salesman, Dwight, out to give me some prices and options. During the conversation with Dwight he said something to the effect that "even though we did not replace everything we are going to treat this as full warranty for one year on parts and labor and 10 years on the compressor. On or about 5/6/12 I developed a water leak or problem with the unit in the ceiling. I set up a temporary drain to catch the water and called Jerry King. Co. and spoke with Gina at 9:15 a.m. on 5/7/12 and told her my problem in detail and said I thought it was under warranty. She took my number, said she would check on it and call me back. She did not call back soon enough and I called her back. She said my system WAS under warranty and a repairman was on the way. When the repairman came he verified my problem and had to go get a new part. He replaced the pump and left and did not leave a bill or say there was a charge. In a few weeks I received a bill from Jerry King Co. for $150.00 ao I called Dwight at Jerry King Co. and talked to him for quite a while; he said the pump was not under warranty because they did not replace it. I also talked to Mrs. King whose tone was obnoxious, belligerent, condescending, etc. and she took Dwight's position and defended him to the end. Dwight said he would reduce the bill to $125.00 and to this day I still receive a bill from Jerry King Co. every so often. I would like for Jerry King Co. to honor their original agreement, acknowledge that I do not owe them any money, and stop sending bills.

I would like for Jerry King Co. to acknowledge that I do not owe them any money and stop sending bills to me.

Concerning the complainant's allegations, the dates he mentioned were correct. Firstly, I do not warranty any part that we do not install. To do so would make no sense. The complainant's original condensate pump was in good working condition at the time of the estimate, as well as at the time of installation of the unit. There was no reason to replace the pump. We also did not replace the drip pan, the air handler platform, the unit's disconnect box, thermostat wiring, suction & discharge copper tubing, the circuit breaker in the house panel, register boots, supply runs, trunk line, return duct, etc. Given the complainant's reasoning, if any of these items were to ever need replacing, it would be at my cost and expense, certainly not his. The bottom line is that his original pump went bad some 10 months after the installation of the heating/cooling unit. I did not charge a diagnostic fee, but simply the cost of the pump and labor for installing it (as I would have if the pump had shown to needing to be replaced at the time of the estimate or installation). Also, his assertion that Mrs. **** was rude to him is simply not true. It seems that the complainant purely wants something for nothing and is using the BBB as a means to attempt to accomplish this. -***************, Manager

04/03/2013Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Dwight of ****** ****** Co. promised referral pay and refused to pay once referral was made.
We purchased an A/C unit from ****** ****** Company late 2012. I was informed by Dwight, the salesman and manager that any referred business that ultimately purchased a unit from them would result in $100 referral check for me. There were no stipulations or caveats, just $100 if someone bought an A/C unit from them and used me as a reference.

I explained this to my friend who lives two houses down that needed a new unit as well. He purchased two units from ****** ****** Co. and used me as the referring individual. The work was done satisfactory on my home and his.

I called Dwight on 2/21/2013 and explained the situation and that I was expecting the $100 referral as per our verbal contract regarding word of mouth sales from a non-employee. Dwight informed me that the person who bought the unit was a prior customer and because of that he would not honor his agreement to pay the referral fee.

I disagreed with Dwight and told him that was extremely dishonest and that was never part of the agreement, to which he replied he was not paying the referral money.

I emailed ****** ****** Co on 2/22/2013 and 3/4/2013 requesting they resolve this issue and honor their agreement with me. I also explained in the the email dated 2/22/2013 that the referral was from a previous customer that was disgruntled and was not planning on using the company again UNTIL I told him of my dealings with my A/C unit.

I changed his mind on using ****** ****** Co. which directly resulted in the two unit sale for Dwight.

Without my referral, this sale would have never happened. Dwight, and ****** ****** Co, have destroyed any trust and future business relationship with this dishonest business practice. Both of my emails were ignored by ****** ****** Co. and have heard nothing from them other than the phone call I made to them on 2/21/2013, leading me to believe they got what they wanted - another sale.

I am requesting the $100 referral fee and apologies from ****** ****** Company, and Dwight. This would put ****** ****** Company back in good faith and standing with my family and those I associate with. This should have never happened.

Other than a phone call that I received on or about February 21, 2013, there has been, to my knowledge, no communication from the complainant to me since the sale of the heating/cooling unit. He appartently sent his emails to a wrong address.

This whole issus comes down to the complainant not understanding (or not wanting to understand) the complete picture.

Concerning the friend that the complainant mentioned that ****** ****** Company installed the two units: That person (whom I'll refer to as "A.F.") was already an established customer of ours since 2010. She contacted me approximately 3-4 weeks before I had even heard of the complainant and was wanting a quote on replacing her HVAC units. I gave her an estimate and followed up about a week later. She told me that she had talked to her husband and they had agreed to have us do the job. Since they were using the "TVA Heat Pump Program" for financing the units, she wanted me to wait a few weeks before sending in the credit application because of some pending issues that were being rresolved.

It was after this that ****** ****** Company installed the unit in the complainant's home.

I am glad that he was very satisfied with our product and installation and that he has told others about how well pleased he was, but I already had a verbal commitment from A.F. to install her units.

I explained all this to the complainant but he just does not understand. I even offered an annual HVAC Preventive Maintenance Service at no cost to him because of this unfortunate situation, but he refused and hung the phone up.

As far as A.F. being "disgruntled and...not planning on using ****** ****** Company again," - I have never heard that or anything even remotely close to that statement. A.F. has never said one word to me that the complainant "changed her mind on using ****** ****** Company."

To simply summarize, I cannot give a referral for a job that I already had a prior commitment for. I have tried in good faith to "help" the misunderstanding on the complainant's part by offering a maintenance service (which is required for warranty purposes) at my expense.

Customer A.F. did not agree to have ****** ****** Co. do the work until after I talked to them about the work done. I did not misunderstand a thing. I fully understood and Dwight used a deceptive sales tactic to cultivate more business. This tactic worked as I brought him business.

This is something I would have done willingly, but Dwight EXPLAINED the $100 referral. Minus the referral explanation, I would have spoken highly of ****** ****** Co. This is not a misunderstanding, Dwight told me one thing, and then denied his end of the agreement.

The response from ****** ****** is disappointing. We had a service agreement in the original contract, so there was no offer of one on the phone. The email address used was the contact info from the ****** ****** website. If that is not the correct contact info, then that is ****** ****** Co. fault. I did not receive return email for domain failure, meaning the email address I sent the emails to is be utilized.

Perhaps another BBB complaint/statement from Customer A.F. would clear up the prior customer deal, and shed a little light on Customer A.F. decision to do business with ****** ****** Co. I believe Customer A.F. would like to explain the verbal contract made through Dwight as well, which mirrored my own.

To simply summarize, you were not given a referral for a job that you already had a prior commitment for; they received services from you well after I. This is not a misunderstanding on my end, and there was no good faith as you put it. Dwight simply refuses to adhere to his own agreements, therefore maximizing his profits.

The misunderstanding is that I thought ****** ****** Co. was being truthful when they said ****** ****** Co. will pay a $100 referral fee for ANY referral. That is the only misunderstanding.

Since ****** ****** Co. refuses to do the right thing, and further adds insult by stating that I am somehow confused, I will ask Customer A.F. to join this conversation through the BBB.

Once again, other than this referral business, I WAS happy with the work and product.

Heating & Air Conditioning, Heating Equipment, Air Conditioning Supplies & Parts, Heating Equipment & Systems Cleaning & Repair, Air Conditioning Systems - Cleaning, Air Conditioning Repair, Plumbers, Heating Contractors, Heat Pumps, Electricians - Commercial, Electricians, Air Conditioning Contractors & Systems