BBB Accredited Business since 08/28/1996

Alexander-Scofield Ford, Inc.

12/02/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

My jeep shut down on me going home from work a little over a week ago on a Sunday November 3. My son went to Alexander-Scofield in Arab and a guy name ***** told him he would have to put it on a computer to find out what happen. I had it towed there on Friday morning Nov 8. I got a call from receptionist there she told me they couldn't get to it until Monday November 11. My son ***** went over there late Monday afternoon to check on it they haven't even looked at it. He had to get onto them about it. He told them that was the only way I had to get to work. ***** called back and to me I had a locked up motor. He said he went out and turn the ignition over and it wouldn't turn over. He never did put it on the computer and it was never moved from where it was parked. All he wanted to tell me was how much a new motor would cost. I had to end up having it towed to another place to find out exactly what was wrong with it. I called Alexander-Scofield again today to complain about what happen they put me through this guy name ***** and I ask to talk to the general manager and he wouldn't put me through. I told him the other place said it wouldn't turn over because the battery had gone out that the motor was not locked up it is running. I told ***** I want my money back on the extra towing I had to have which is 100 dollar and for the a day of work I had to miss because because another motor had to tell me what he should of told me, I also want my money for missing a day of work because he didn't do what he was suppose to. I really think because I was a female and a senior citizen he thought he could get something over on me. One more thing I also told ***** that the ignition wasn't going to turn over anyway because I took the battery cable off the battery so they never even raised the hood up on the Jeep

220 dollar for extra towing and my day I missed for work because they didn't do what was suppose to done. I also want to make sure he don't do it to anyone else

To Whom It May Concern:
A man came into the service department stating his Mother's Jeep had quit on the side of the road. ****** advised that the vehicle would have to be here for a technician to evaluate. ****** advised a computer diagnosis could be performed and the labor rate was $80 per hour. A phone call came in shortly after from a lady stating that her Jeep had quit on the side of the road. The same information was given to this lady. Neither the man in the service department or the lady on the phone gave a name, model of "Jeep" nor a time frame they would have the vehicle towed to the service department.
A few days later, on Friday November 8th around 8:30am, a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee was towed to Alexander Arab. The driver brought the key in to the service department. When asked what the issue was, he stated he did not know. The driver said he was called with request to tow to Alexander Arab, and a check for tow fees would be in the seat. The advisor asks for the name and number from the check to call for instructions. A call was made to ****** ******** from the information taken from the check and voice mail was left. Around 3pm in the afternoon, a man came in asking "if the Jeep was fixed." Advisor asks which vehicle he was referring and he pointed to the vehicle that was towed in. Advisor explained that we did not have any information at this point to know what the issue was or who owned the vehicle. He said all he knew was it was his mother's and it would not run. He verified the name and number obtained from the check was who we would need to get all the information from and he left. Ms ******** returned our call at 4:30pm that day. She gave us her issues with the vehicle and her information. At this time it was almost time to close, so she was advised that we did not know what was supposed to be done until now and it would be Monday before we would have time to have a tech look at it.
On Monday November 11, technician ************, tried to start the vehicle to pull into the shop. He raised the hood, saw that the battery cable was off. He cleaned the cable and post on the battery and connected the cable to the battery. He checked the oil level on the vehicle and found the level was an inch above the full line. Technician connects a jumper box to the vehicle and started the vehicle. The engine started briefly, knocked and rattled very loudly and then shut off. Technician asks the service manager to come over to hear the engine. When the manager got to the vehicle it would not start again. A second jumper box was used to try to start the engine and it would not start again. After the attempts to start again failed and the sounds of the engine the technician determined the engine was locked and needed replaced. The battery cable was removed from the battery at this time. The cost of parts and labor was given to****** and he called Ms ******** with the estimate of replacing the motor. Ms ******** stated to****** on this call she thought that the engine was messed up as well. ****** also advise Ms ******** that the diagnostic fee was waived for her.
The customer states her vehicle quit on Nov 3rd. However it was not towed to us until Nov 8th. However she is asking for a "loss of work reimbursement" due to vehicle not repaired. She requested $500 from us in a call made to us for loss of work. However she states in this claim she has changed that amount to $220. The technician that checked her vehicle has 35 years experience as a certified technician. It is my opinion Ms ******** is asking for something I do not owe and apparently wanting something for nothing.
Sincerely
***** ****

I did give the guy my name and he told me that he told my son about what would have to be done and he would explain everything. He did not explain anything to me. As for my jeep not cranking when I had it towed to Huntsville it would not turn over and they put new battery in it and it cranked up and I was told by the mechanic in Huntsville the battery shorted out is the reason my son and I couldn't get the jeep to turn over. I have got the jeep home now and it will still turn over. So sound like some one is trying to get out of what they did wrong. Yes I did tell them 500 but I changed my mind and just wanted my extra towing I had to put out of my own pocket
The reason****** new about the cable being off is because I called to talk to the general manager which he wouldn't put me through to him I told rocky that the jeep wasn't going to turn over if the cable wasn't on the battery and that is where he got it from and he got a little quite on me it want turn over with the battery being shorted out.****** told me he went out and turned the ignition over and it wouldn't turn over and called me back and told me my motor is locked up. My motor is not locked up it will crank and it will run. It has got a knocking sound to it but it does crank up.****** got caught doing wrong trying to get money out of someone and he don't want to admit it no matter how many year of mechanic he has that don't mean he want do it. The diagnostic fee should of been waived because he never did it. And not one time did I tell****** that I believe my motor was gone. When he called and told me my motor was locked he ask me did I want him to give me a price to have it fix and I said sure. But like I said before the battery wasn't going to charged up because what ever happen to my jeep that night messed the battery up and it wouldn't charged My son and I both try to charge it at home before we took it over there and it wouldn't charge up. Yes it did shut down on me on Sunday night the 3rd on my way home and I had it towed home until I could find someone to check it out. I don't know any mechanic around here. So again how did they get the jeep started up if the battery wouldn't charge up to get it cranked.

I do not feel we should pay anything, as we only started the vehicle and heard it's condition. There was no charge for what we did. The engine did quit and would not turn over with jumper box.****** was not trying to sell customer anything, He was merely giving her a price. We have a log where all customers that say they are coming in are logged.****** has told me for sure that lady did not give her name or make an appointment. I do not feel any refund is necessary when there was no charge to customer.

Auto Dealers - New Cars, Auto Diagnostic Service, Auto Parts & Supplies - Used & Rebuilt, Transmissions - Automobile, Auto Air Conditioning, Wheel Alignment, Frame & Axle Service - Auto, Brake Service, Auto Electric Service, Auto Repair & Service