BBB Business Review
This Business is not BBB accredited
BBB Business Reviews may not be reproduced for sales or promotional purposes.
On 8/26/2014 this business's accreditation in the BBB was revoked by the BBB's Board of Directors due to its failure to adhere to the BBB requirement that Accredited Businesses meet and abide by the following standards:
- 1D. Be free of an unsatisfactory rating and maintain at least a B rating at the accrediting BBB and the BBB where it is headquartered, if different.
- 2B. Abide by the BBB Code of Advertising, available online at: http://www.bbb.org/membership/codeofad.asp. Supply, upon request, substantiation for advertising and selling claims. Correct advertising and selling practices, when recommended by BBB.
- 2C. Adhere to applicable BBB industry codes of advertising.
- 2D. Cooperate with BBB self-regulatory programs for the resolution of advertising disputes.
- 6A. Promptly respond to all complaints forwarded by BBB by:
- Resolving the complaint directly with the complainant and notifying BBB, or
- Providing BBB with a response that BBB determines:
- is professional,
- addresses all of the issues raised by the complainant,
- includes appropriate evidence and documents supporting the business' position, and
- explains why any relief sought by the complainant cannot or should not be granted.
- 6B. Make a good faith effort to resolve disputes, which includes mediation if requested by BBB. Other dispute resolution options, including arbitration, may be recommended by BBB when other efforts to resolve a dispute have failed. BBB may consider a business' willingness to participate in recommended dispute resolution options in determining compliance with these standards.
- 8A. Avoid involvement, by the business or its principals, in activities that reflect unfavorably on, or otherwise adversely affect the public image of BBB or its accredited businesses.
This business is not BBB accredited.
Businesses are under no obligation to seek BBB accreditation, and some businesses are not accredited because they have not sought BBB accreditation.
To be accredited by BBB, a business must apply for accreditation and BBB must determine that the business meets BBB accreditation standards, which include a commitment to make a good faith effort to resolve any consumer complaints. BBB Accredited Businesses must pay a fee for accreditation review/monitoring and for support of BBB services to the public.
Reason for Rating
BBB rating is based on 13 factors. Get the details about the factors considered.
Based on BBB files, this business has a BBB Rating of No Rating. The reason is as follows:
- This business has no rating because it is out of business.
Customer Complaints Summary Read complaint details
|Complaint Type||Total Closed Complaints|
|Problems with Product/Service||7|
|Total Closed Complaints||33|
Additional Complaint Information
Complainants generally allege unreasonable delays in product delivery and requested refunds. According to complaints, consumers wait 2 to 8 months for completion of transactions - whether by delivery, refund, or credit card dispute. Most complainants requested refunds or filed chargebacks with their credit card issuers.
The company typically responds to complaints by shipping products or issuing refunds.
On May 30, 2014 we requested that the company provide us with the steps that it is taking to eliminate the underlying cause of complaints. The company responded to our request on June 6, 2014, indicating that 100% of customers are notified in advance of product delays and offered a choice of compensation and agreeing to the new delivery date ("in the form of discounts or freebies") or a full refund. They further stated that their credit card company allows a 1% chargeback rate, which if exceeded, would cause them to lose their ability to process credit cards. The company also provided copies of emails to show that customers were given adequate notice of delays.
Upon review of the documentation submitted by the company, BBB determined it was unclear whether the notices provide to consumers were sent proactively or in response to complaints. Furthermore, none of the exchanges indicated the customers were offered a refund, or a definite ship date with the notice of delay. On June 19, 2014 BBB responded to the company requesting clarification. The company responded on July 9, 2014 indicating they always offer refunds, but agree that the wording needs to be added to their messages to consumers. They also stated that they always included definite ship dates.
Customer Reviews Summary Read customer reviews
|Customer Experience||Total Customer Reviews|
|Total Customer Reviews||2|
Type of Entity
Business ManagementMr. Tony Barbarich, Owner Crystal Lee, Customer Service Manager
Fireplaces Spas & Hot Tubs - Dealers Stoves - Wood, Coal Online Retailer Fireplace Equipment - Retail
Products & Services
Choosefireplacesandstoves.com offers the following product(s): Company offers fireplace sales.
Alternate Business NamesHottubsandportablespas.com
Products & Services
Choosefireplacesandstoves.com specializes in fireplaces, wood and pellet stoves, fire place boxes, fireplace inserts and fireplace and stove accessories.
Hottubsandpotablespas.com specializes in hot tubs and portable spas. No installation; just sales and products.