Baker Home Improvement

3 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 0 closed in last 12 months

12/20/2013Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Baker Home Improvment failed to pay its bills to its supplier for my bathroom renovation. This has resulted in a threatened lien on my property.
I contracted with Baker Home Improvement to remodel my bathroom in August 2013. After significant delays, supply issues, breaking my air conditioning, and frustrating communication problems, they pretty much finished up the project in October 2013, at which time I paid them the remaining balance on the project. Overall, the work looked pretty good, and they requested that I wait a month to supply them a list of problems and repairs, which I did. After a month, I called them about coming out to fix the minor repairs needed (the new tub drain leaks into the basement, some walls need repair where the pipes enter). Although they promised to come by a couple of times, they never did. I could have lived with all of this and chalked it up to the price of doing business. However, not long after that (around the first of December) I received a certified letter from the supplier of the ********* countertop to Baker (I was cc'ed), saying Baker Home Improvement had not yet paid them for the countertop. The countertop supplier also stated that if Baker did not pay for the countertop, and the accrued finance charges, within 10 days of receiving the letter, a mechanic's lien would be placed on my property. I went to the Baker Home Improvement office to ask about the issue, and was assured that it would be paid. After that I heard nothing from Baker; they have not returned any of my attempts to contact them by phone. I have spoken with the countertop supplier, who said that as of today (13 December) they had not received the payment. All I want is for Baker Home Improvement to pay its bills so that no lien will be placed on my property.

Although I feel that I have a right to ask that Baker pays for the repairs to their work that I am now going to have to ask someone else to do (the leaking bathtub drain), all that I want is for Baker Home Improvement to pay its bill to the countertop supplier so that the lien will not be applied to my property. I would like written confimation that the bill has been paid in case there is ever a title issue with this property. This is not my first rodeo--I understand the difficulties inherent in small business management and building renovations. No difficulties, however, are an excuse for not paying one's bills nor failing to communicate with a client in a professional manner.

As a small business, we do sometimes come across obstacles. We have rectified this issue with the company that issued the lien and they have since removed it. Happily, we will have a letter from the company sent letting the customer know the lien was removed. This was an oversight on our part and in no way a reflection of how our business is run.

I have heard from the countertop supplier and they have received the check from Baker. Once the check clears, they will lift the lien. I am satisfied with the outcome of this situation, although still disappointed that it took this level of action to get the bill paid.

07/07/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

*** ***** did shoddy electrical work, shoddy construction, did not fulfill contract, did not refund money and tried to extract more money from us.
We hired ***** Home Improvement for a kitchen remodel, utility room update and laundry closet. Also contracted *** to fix water damaged studs and supports (due to dishwasher leak). Paid 50% on labor and materials. Asked for permit from day one (and throughout). *** ***** kept stalling. Demo work done, electrical work run, wall boards went up. No permit. Electrical run by ***'s worker, not licensed electrician. I asked about this. He said his electrician was busy. Our contract called for a refund of $1500 if *** did not make deadline. *** said to make the deadline, they would run electrical and his electrician would come in to wrap everything up. *** was ready to plaster when I made the ultimatum that either he get electrical permit or I would. He said he would and said he did. That Friday his plaster team was on site and a permit was hanging in our window. I did not look at permit, but called city later that day and discovered the permit *** got was for hanging cabinets. Not electrical, nor demo. Confronted ***. He said that the electrician would get that permit and everything would be fine. Came home that night to a plaster job with swirls everywhere. We asked for a flat finish. *** said the finish was what we discussed. He said to correct would cost $3k. He would cover half. We called in the different plaster teams. Each quoted $1k. *** wanted to make $2k profit off his mistake. One plaster contractor pointed out a wire going over a stud. We called in master electrician to examine. He found most visible electrical work done incorrectly (can lights, outlets, etc.). He could not see into walls since they were now plastered. Our electrician reviewed findings with ***. *** did not dispute any of electrician's findings. We asked electrician for a quote to fix electrical. His quote was close to $3K to fix ***'s work. *** offered to only pay $500 - the amount he said he was going to pay conclude electrical. We had our electrician proceed. After peeking into walls, he ended up having to open up all the walls (which we had recently plastered to smooth finish). Multiple electrical violations were found (wires over studs, armor cable going into plastic boxes, live wires touching studs, junction boxes not secured, but hanging lose in wall cavity). Electrical inspector called in and verified. Our electrical bill grew another $2k. Again, *** only willing to cover $500. We provided *** multiple opportunities to set things right and come to our house to fulfill remaining contract. He promised he would but never came back. In the end, I had to play role of contractor and hire subs. *** never returned any of our deposit for labor. Other problems with this job. We paid 50% ($10K) for all materials . Contract was 50% down. 50% upon completion. When cabinets came in, ***** Home Improvement said we owed another $6K for cabinets to be delivered. I pointed out contract and said I would compromise and pay $3K (remaining balance for cabinets), but we would take delivery of cabinets. ***** agreed. Called manufacturer for question to only discovered *** pocketed deposit and never paid Cabinet manufacturer. Some cabinets also ordered incorrectly. Had to do build out to correct. Area where we wanted laundry closet turned out to be insufficient size. *** said it would be big enough. We had to do another build out to correct. Plumbing rough in's by ***** were poorly done We had to pay to correct. We had to tear down wallboard in utility room due to subpar work. We have gone over budget by $10K and do not have a finished kitchen, laundry closet nor utility room. We also still have water damaged studs and support beam. The kicker on this is that I was *****'s next door neighbor at office complex. *** is no longer at this complex due to non-payment to landlord. Only when landlord locked *** out did *** pay in full. I also witnessed sub contractors looking for payment, deputies and process servers looking for him. ***** does not deserve the BBB A+ rating.

Our out-of-pocket losses to date are $10K. We also do not know if the cabinet manufacturer will place a lien on our house for the cost of the cabinets. We also have loss of income due to moving out of our house and my acting as contractor. In regards to the former, we were suppose to have a kitchen by mid-November. By late October, we knew this would not happen. Without a functioning kitchen, we moved into our recently vacated rental for two months. Loss of income totaled $3K. I also had to take time away from work to act as contractor. I had to turn down one job that would have paid $2K and lost another that would have paid $1500. I missed a deadline due to distractions overseeing our construction. I had already had $400 worth of my time into the project before losing the job.

While we would like to be reimbursed for all expenses, we are willing to settle for our out-of-pocket costs of about $10K. We can provide a clearer total and itemized list. We would also like the cabinet manufacturer to be paid in full. We would like both to be provided via certified check. We would like to mail certified check to cabinet manufacturer personally. The reason for this request is due to A) the numerous individual seeking restitution from Tim and B) personal knowledge of Tim bouncing a check with the dumpster contractor he hired for our project.

01/12/2015Problems with Product / Service