BBB Accredited Business since 04/01/2001

First Team Toyota Scion

Phone: (757) 673-2345Fax: (757) 673-2075

04/01/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Extremely delayed repair of vehicle.
I filed an auto claim for my vehicle, a 2009 Saab 9-7x on January 25, 2015 due to a front bumper casualty incurred from a fire hydrant. I dropped the vehicle off to First Team Toyota on January 26, 2015 in the morning. The First Team Toyota Collision ********** ***** ******** wrote the estimate. I took off work for a week (I work in ***** to wait for vehicle. *** ******* told me after a week that the parts order had to be cancelled due to rough weather from his supplier. They re-ordered from another parts vendor and all of the parts did not arrive. They now are waiting on a bumper clip they told me is not available anywhere and doesn't exist. The latest update a week ago was that the part was still (a month later) on backorder. They refuse to call me and give me updates. They should be calling the parts supplier and asking when this part will arrive and updating me every couple of days. After one month of waiting and in February, I spoke to the collision center director who authorized me a free Toyota loaner vehicle which is not an SUV like mine which has made it difficult to drive in northern weather issues with snow and ice because my SUV was AWD. It is now almost two weeks away from April 2015 and I still do not have my vehicle back. This cannot last forever. I have not paid anything for the work being completed and am not required to until completion of the work; my insurance company, ***** has already settled the claim with the collision center at First Team. My share to pay is my deductible which is ***** From this point, Ive had to travel from ******** to *********** ** every two weeks just to get the loaner vehicle's paperwork renewed because the vehicle has Virginia dealer tags on it. I am a former customer of First Team and purchased a $39,000 vehicle from them. The least they could do is provide me excellent customer service, constant updates, and timely repair of my vehicle.

I desire my vehicle to be repaired and returned to me ASAP. I also desire that First Team Toyota be responsible for the deductible payment amount of **** that I am required to pay them. Regardless of First Team Toyota allowing me to use their loaner vehicle, its the principle of the issue that matters. As of todays date, March 12, 2015, they have had my vehicle 46 days and counting.

Good morning,

We are sorry this has become an issue for *** *******. It is very frustrating I'm sure. However, this issue is completely beyond our control. *** ******* owns a Saab and Saab's haven't been produced or been available for sale in United States since 2011. This has created many issues relating to parts availability for SAAB owners across the country. We have tried ordering through GM and an aftermarket source. We are still trying to secure it.

We have provided a loaner vehicle to *** ******* at no cost to him to help with his transportation needs while we have been attempting to complete the repair. This wasn't required on our part, but we wanted to help in whatever way we could. I know it may not be like what he is used to driving, but we don't use utility vehicles for loaners, therefore we don't have any available. Again we provided the vehicle at NO COST.

In summary, this condition is not a result of any action or inaction on the part of First Team Toyota. We have done and are continuing to do everything we can to rectify the matter on the behalf of *** *******. There is no reason for First Team Toyota to waive the deductible *** ******* requested.

I do not accept this response. I clearly do understand that the loaner vehicle was provided at no cost to the customer, however, when a person drops off a vehicle at a collision center to be repaired, It is an expectation that the customer at the least receive an update from the collision center on a normal basis. Toyota could at the least, contact the entity the back-ordered part was ordered from to see when the part would be produced in or to give the customer a more tentative repair date. I have heard over and over for the past several weeks First Team can't help the issue, however they have not been calling to give me updates from the entity they ordered the part from on it's availability date. In summary, what am I supposed to do? Sit and wait for several more months in hopes of the vehicle being repaired when I NEED my SUV back? The least First Team could do is have the deductible waived.

*** ******* was contacted on Friday, March 27th and informed the vehicle is completed. We finally received the necessary part and completed the repair right away.

I'm still not clear on what could have been done better in the way of communication. Our team stayed on top of the part needed throughout the process. Again we don't make the part and we are dealing with a vehicle that hasn't been produced or sold in the US since 2011. I don't see how that is in any way our fault.

In the end, the vehicle repair is complete. First Team is willing to accept half the deductible from Mr. *******. That would make the amount due from him ***** This is a goodwill gesture on our part to try and help with the inconvenience of *** ******* being without his vehicle.

The vehicle needs to be picked up, partial deductible paid and no charge loaner vehicle returned.

Although I still do not agree with the response and how First Team doesn't step up and accept responsibility for their actions or have the employee addressed about speaking down to my spouse, I accept the partial deductible offer. Now they will have to wait for me as I can't just drop what I'm doing to drive 4 hours away until I'm available to do so. I've waited for them, so they can now wait for me. In regards to the vehicle not being produced any longer, that is correct; however, this is a GM-made Saab from 2009, stamped with GM, has GM parts, and looks like a GM so the excuse about not finding any parts is bogus because **** found the part First Team needed in only 1 day.

10/14/2013Guarantee / Warranty Issues

Auto Dealers - New Cars & Trucks, Auto Repair & Service, Auto Dealers - Used Cars & Trucks