Nebraska, South Dakota, The Kansas Plains and Southwest Iowa

BDB Waterproofing

2 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

09/15/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Improper or inferior service

Complaint: Two years after service and one year after complaint to BDB, I have not received assistance to address a reverse grade footing tile installed by BDB.
In ****, BDB raised my house and, among other things, installed a 4" footing tile. In ****, while working with a landscaper, I noticed the tremendous reverse grade of the 4" tile. I spoke with **** at BDB and emailed pics. He asked I get a quote from the landscaper to rectify problem. I never was able to verbally communicate with BDB again because they would not answer my calls but let them know that the landscaper wanted $***.

The 4" tile was lowered quite a bit, from the retaining wall onward. I covered the cost.

I have been out of the country quite a bit and have pondered whether lowering the 4" tile past the retaining wall (a total of 16.5 feet) actually resulted in a grade such that water flow was allowed. So, I turned on a hose and gradually ran it up the tile. Of course, the water flowed out very well but when the end of the hose got to the retaining wall, the flow abruptly stopped.

Gravel surrounding the 4" footing tile stopped at the retaining wall which is 16.5 feet from the end of the tile. So, either the tile has a reverse grade from there OR the gravel surrounding the perforated pipe is allowing so much water to pass out of the tile that non can flow out.

I called BDB and was able to speak to a nice young man who said he would come out (last Wed. **********). He called back stating that the piece of equipment he thought would work .. to measure the slope of the 4" tile would not, in fact serve to measure slope. So, he said he would contact a plumber and see if he had something they could borrow. He never called back. I left a message with BDB on Saturday, ********** stating that I would, at a minimum, contact the Better Business Bureau or pursue legal remedies should they not call by this morning, ***********.

I am,again, leaving town and will not return for months. So, the Better Business Bureau as well as BDB will have to contact me via my email **********************
Sincerely *** *****

In reviewing the claim, we are confused at the validity of the claim. The location of the tile was installed along the side of the home where push piers were installed to rectify the settlement of the home. This tile has a much gentler slop if not installed at level to allow the natural flow or path of least resistence for the water to naturally move. A perforated tile with gravel was installed along the house and then it was switched over to a solid tile to carry the water from the retaining wall to daylight. The perforated tile with gravel is the only way to install it at the house, this is done so it can catch water and allow the tile to fill. When the tile is filled to a certain height an overload amount of water will then release out of the solid tile. It can not be tested by a garden hose, this is not a realistic setting and the water that is being forced in will filter out of the perforated tile which in turn is needed and again the only way to catch water to remove it. We will make every attempt to contact the homeowner and send a representative down to explain what he is dealing with. Conceptually I don't think he understands how the system is suppose to function.. Our reputation is everything and if he we have not had enough communication we will make sure the homeowner understands that this is how it is suppose to function.

Initial Consumer Rebuttal
I have been communicating via email as I could not access this site. The letter I sent directly to BDB Waterproofing via BBB is found below. BDB has not responded to it (perhaps my email was not forwarded to them).

I appreciate BDB's desire to leave a job professionally done. And, I appreciate all you did the summer of ****. It was not until the following summer, when I was having landscaping done, that I realized the 4" perforated tile (footing tile) was installed (at least past the railroad tie retaining wall) incorrectly. To wit, the footing tile was brought under the retaining wall and then UP to meet the ground on the other side of the retaining wall and then downward. At a minimum, a "Trap" was formed.

On *******, I sent three emails, with video and pics attached, to **** after speaking with him via phone. He asked to get a bid, from the landscaper on site, to address the issue, which I emailed him on the same day. My subsequent attempts at communicating with **** and BDB were unsuccessful so I gave up and paid for the work myself which consisted of burying the tile, from the railroad tie wall, to the outlet such that a proper slope was achieved.

Then, in the summer of ****, we received record breaking rainfalls and my basement did not get a drop of water in it. Yes, this was welcome news. But, it fueled another thought; Why did no water exit the 4" perforated tile when in years past one hard rain would send mud and water into my basement? So, I, again, phone BDB and this time spoke with a young man who stated that he would come out and measure the relative elevation of the 4" tile. Soon thereafter, he phoned to inform me that his idea would not work because the reading he needed to make would be on the end he was pushing into the tile. He said he would speak with a plumber and see what he could come up with. Again... like the previous summer, no additional followup occurred.

The method I used to investigate the issue: I ran a garden hose, with running water, up the 4"tile, very slowly monitoring the outflow (from the tile in question) of the water. Water did, indeed, run out but it abruptly ceased. At that point, I placed a black line on the garden hose and pulled it out. Measuring from the line I just placed on the hose to the end of the hose I got exactly 16.5 feet. This was exact distance to the railroad tie retaining wall from the tile end.

What conclusions might be drawn?

1) At the point when water no longer ran out of the 4" tile, perhaps the perforated tile was still properly sloped but allowed the water to escape at rate greater than at which it flowed in (due to the tile .. at that point.. being surrounded by gravel). But, this might be problematic in that if this were the case and no water found its way into my basement during significant rain events, then great quantities of subsurface water may have found its way under the house instead of into and out of the 4" tile.

2) The tile has reverse grade at that point.

My only desire was and is to discover the reality of what is happening noting that my lack of confidence is derived from the incomplete job at the outlet AND the lack of water exiting the footing drain during heavy rains. Since my yard is still not "grassed" yet hand digging should not necessitate the repair any landscaping other than soil being replaced.

I attached pictures that may help you in your review. Note that the tile is before I had it lowered.

Since I now live in *****, communicating with me must be by email. Please contact me if you wish to do on "on-site" review.

There were two pics attached with the email.

I am going to reach out to *** on his personal email, this will again all be solved by understanding how the system is suppose to work. I will arrange for a representative from our company to meet him on site an test and walk through what and how. In the end how I responded above has not changed. The tile dug in past the retaining wall is a solid tile that will drain water once you get to the hose it is a different style of draintile that:
A) will not even let a hose go into it
B)will drain any water out of the draintile for an extended period of time.
Again, I will contact *** directly and get something set up

11/04/2013Problems with Product / Service

Waterproofing Contractors, Tuck Pointing, Structural Support - Underground, Contractor - Crawl Space, Drainage Contractors, Sump Pump Contractors, Foundation Repair & House Leveling, Basement Waterproofing, Foundation Contractors, Basement - Contractors