Moser came to replace a well pump, put shock down the well and did not properly instruct us on how to clear the water out of the system.
Our well pump broke on ******, and we called Moser to come replace it. On ***, ***** came out to replace the well pump. When he was finished replacing it and had put shock in the well, he told my husband ****** to "run a zone of the sprinkler for a few hours". He gave no documentation of how long a few hours is, or how we should flush the system to get the chlorine out. ****** ran a sprinkler zone for 3 hours.
When I came home the evening of the ***, I started up the water in each faucet as instructed, by starting with the cold and letting the air out, then going to the hot to do the same thing. I ran each faucet for about 20 minutes, because the chlorine stench was really bad. I asked my husband about it, and he said he already ran the sprinklers for a few hours, as instructed, and the chlorine should be out of the system shortly, as we assumed, since we were told no differently.
All 3 people in our family showered in this water that evening. It was like showering in a pool. Our entire house smelled like bleach. I went to the grocery store to get bottled water to drink and use for cooking, since I didn't think it was safe to drink this water. We continued to wait for the chlorine scent to dissipate.
On Wed, the water still smelled. Still used bottled water, but showered. Did 6 loads of laundry, to try to flush it from the system.
On Thursday, the water still smelled. I called and talked to ***** Thursday afternoon and explained the situation. He repeatedly told me to run the sprinklers for 1 hour and smell the water to see if the smell was gone. I explained that we had already run it that first day for 3 hours, plus it had run one or two 6-8 hour zones since then, done 6 loads of laundry, showered multiple times, etc. He repeated the 1 hour advice, and said to drain the hot water heater. I turned on the sprinkler system and ran them for 12 hours. After the first 5 hours of continuous running, we drained the hot water heater in an attempt to help clear it out.
Saturday morning, the hot water still smelled.
On Sunday, ****** drained the hot water heater again b/c it still smelled.
On Tuesday, ****, the water still smelled of bleach. By this time, the sprinklers system had run for at least 35 hours, we had showered each day since the pump had been replaced, done 6 loads of laundry, flushed toilets many, many times, washed hands, emptied the water heater twice.
I called ************* to see if there was something we should do with the soft water system to flush it out, wondering if that might help. We talked with their Master Plumber. He explained that we should have put our Reverse Osmosis System and our water softener in bypass mode before the shock was added to the system. At no point had this been mentioned by ***** at Moser.
The plumber also recommended that we manually recharge the soft water system, then put it in bypass mode and flush the hot water heater by opening the drain and leaving the cold water input turned on (electricity off). We did so, and after flushing the hot water heater on and off for 30 minutes, draining it, flushing and draining again, we filled it back up and took the soft water off of bypass. We ran cold water for 15-20 minutes.
On Wed, the ****, after another night of the sprinklers running for 6-8 hours, the soft water system being recharged, the water heater being drained for the 3rd time, I took 3 samples of water into ************* to be tested for chlorine - one from the cold water tap in the kitchen (straight well water), one from the cold water in the bathroom (soft water), and one from the hot water in the bathroom (soft water). The water, which no longer smelled to us, was tested by ************* on Friday, ****. **** at ** stated it smelled of chlorine to him, still contained between 2-3 ppm, which is still higher than it should be, but no longer dangerously high. He said when they shock a well, they tell clients to run a hos outside continuously for 3 days.
They did not properly inform us of how to clear the chlorine from our well water, after they shocked it. I plan to pay the bill for the pump replacement, but I feel a discount should be given for the hassle we had to go through figuring out how to clear out the chlorine from our water, and for having to shower and wash in that dangerously chlorinated water for over a week before we finally got it cleared out. Had they told us how to do it properly, it could have been cleared out in 3 days. There should be some sort of recompense for their negligence. You can't put such strong and dangerous chemicals in a person's well and not tell them how to properly clear it out!