In Nebraska, South Dakota, The Kansas Plains and Southwest Iowa

05/21/2013Problems with Product / Service
04/15/2013Problems with Product / Service
08/17/2012Problems with Product / Service
03/18/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Failure to provide promised assistance or support for products or services

Complaint: Denied Policy after 15 years.
Insurer was healthy when policy was setup in **** and now that the insurer has conditions they canceled the policy. Problem on our end is that we let payment lapse (truly unaware), which allowed them to review medical history and gave them a way out. Premiums have been getting paid since ****. Person I talked with agreed that insurer was out of luck and that they could not help. not resolution as this was the only thing the insurer had to cover for funeral cost.

We have been unable to locate a policy file using the information provided. We did a search for ******** at the address given and were unable to find a matching identity. We have, or have had at one time, 29 individuals with the name ******** insured, however none of them live in *********, **. If you could provide the insured person's full name and date of birth that would be very helpful. Thank you. **** *********, Underwriting Manager, Assurity Life Insurance Co.

I am not accepting this response because this is the reason why people have life insurance is to help in cases where the insurer doesn't have money laying around to cover certain arrangements. The fact that you target people to by into your policy and find is so easy to just drop them is in-human. funds were put into this policy for 14yrs to cover cost if something happen and now the insurer has not coverage. I know how it lead up to this point but because of a hectic life this very important matter slipped thru the cracks not on purpose but by miss-hap and with the length of time we have been with you I find it heartless that your company did not even care or try to help us. The person I talk to agreed to the comment I stated that the insurer is out of luck. This company does not have their clients best interest in mind. It is all about the money. Any one ever ask me about this business I will tell of this event so they will know.

When we issued this coverage in **** the insured was in good health with no admitted medical impairments. When the premium for the coverage wasn't paid the policy lapsed in ************. We sent billing notices on *********, **********, and *********. If we had received the premium payments by *************, 31 days after the due date, we could have kept this coverage in force. We cannot require you to pay premiums or continue coverage with us, but we did send three notices before this coverage terminated. After the policy lapsed for non-payment of premiums we received a reinstatement application which does ask health questions. In order to reinstate coverage the insured person must be in the same health they were when they originally took out the policy. This is according to the provisions in the policy contract. In this case the insured person had several serious medical conditions that cause them to be uninsurable. We informed you, the owner of the policy, that we were unable to reinstate the coverage due to the insured persons admitted medical conditions. Unfortunately we are unable to offer coverage due to the insured person's medical history. There was coverage in force from ******** of **** to ************, and the premium payments paid for the coverage while it was in force. There is no cash value or surrender value for this policy as it was term coverage, there is no refund that can be made.

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.

10/30/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint: Assurity ignored repeated requests,gave misleading representation and then rejected claim without requested contact method.
I stopped working in ************. I made several calls with no response. In ***** I sent in a written request and received a call in ***********. I repeatedly asked if my illness was covered under my policy. At that time i was undiagnosed. I emphasized that I could not afford their premiums. They insisted that they should be able to help and that it needed to go through underwriting due to the time frames and writers attached. I was responsible for the prim emus until the got the policy through underwriting. I finally received a rejection dated **************. Almost 9 months later! This letter arrived to me two weeks ago. They requested a response by *****************. I have repeatedly expressed concerns with not having a contact person who deals with my claim, the lack of response and the need for a phone call about my case since their letters are not arriving to me. They stated: "We will look at the date of diagnosis, we believe we can help you it just needs to go through underwriting, we are reviewing things and then will be issuing you a check,etc." I have been diagnosed with *********. My amendments for the policy where for ****** and **********. ********* Not ****** or **********.

Contact Name and Title: ***** *******, Claims Man

Insured: ****** *****
File Number: *********
Company: Assurity Life Insurance Company

Dear *****:

We have received your letter dated ****************** concerning the above file.

In response to the complaint filed regarding the above policy, we find that the position we have taken is supported by the information currently available. During the claim processing (first notice was ************* and our position was taken on ***************) 8 letters were sent to keep the insured informed of the ongoing process.

After a review of the above file we find that an appropriate determination was made and the claim was administered within all guidelines.

We have corresponded directly with the insured on *************** regarding her request to cancel the policy and receive a refund of all premiums. Should she still wish to receive a refund of all premiums paid on the policy and consider it void from inception, that process will take place.

If you have any questions or if I can provide additional assistance, please contact me at 1-************ or by email at *********************. Our department fax number is **************

***** ** *******, ACS
Claims Manager

I have not received any communication from ********* other than a call later Friday the 4th asking that they verify my address. Nothing has been mailed to my provide addresses. No phone call has been made from Assurity to discuss the information i provided. Again I question the accuracy, honesty and integrity of this company. I will be contacting an attorney to deal with my claim and my repeated request to cancel my policy. Again Assurity removed a prim um from my bank account in the amount of ****** on *********. No refund, paperwork to end the policy, nor information has been provided since I submitted this complaint.

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined the company provided proper verification that indicated there was no obligation to resolve the issues of the complaint.

05/09/2012Guarantee / Warranty Issues

Insurance Companies, Insurance - Viatical, Investment Advisory Service, Annuities, Insurance - Life, Insurance - Health