BBB Accredited Business since 06/09/2009

Goslin Contracting, Inc.

5 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

12/09/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

On ****** I gave Gosline a check for 1/2 of a concrete job and they have not yet done my job and are now avoiding my continued calls,texts & emails.
I have paid 1/2 of a concrete job in the amount of $*** to Goslin on ****** and was promised many timeframes that they would be out to do the work but they have not as of ******* done the work. They are now avoiding all my phone calls, texts and emails on what is going on and when they plan to do the job. I have been understanding with them as the rain this season has been frequent - but they have had one excuse after another when the weather has been dry. In the past 2 weeks - I have contacted them almost daily - left voice mails, emails and texts - and they are now completing ignorning my attempts to contact them and I believe they have scammed me out of my money. They also have a warranty on a downspout issue from **** that they installed and that we were promised they would correct when they came out to do the concrete job. At this point -we are done dealing with Goslin and wish to have our money back promptly for 1/2 the concrete job they have never done in the amount of $*** plus reimbursement for the defective downspout which we paid $*** for.

We want our $*** deposit refunded immediately so we can find a legitimate business to do our concrete work as well as a $*** refund on the defective downspot on the North side of the front our our home - which they guaranteed and which does not / has not worked properly since they installed it in ****.

I have contacted ***** about the numerous scheduling delays due to wet weather and other challenges we have faced this summer. We have worked out an agreement that we would begin the concrete on *************. We will also complete the warranty work on the downspout and drain.

Today is ******, the final date that Goslin agreed to complete the work but they did not show up. They called at about 11:30 am and advised that, once again, they could not come out and do the work because of rain. They advised they will do the work this week - by Friday *******. Until they complete this work - I wish to keep this complaint open with the BBB. I have, once again, agreed to extend their timeframe until *******. If they do not show up by ******* I will not agree to any more extensions and proceed with my original request for a complete refund of my $*** dollar deposit and a refund of the downspot warranty of $***.

As of today, *******, Goslin has still not completed the job that we paid 1/2 down for on
****** (over 5 months ago). When we first filed this BBB complaint on ******* - they promised to have the work done no later than ******. Since then, they have made many commitment dates to come out and do the work but did not show up each time. They came out over 3 weeks ago and started the dirt work but then left it all partially dug up, damaged our drain pipe and chipped the existing concrete. We have given them over a month since the original complaint was filed to get this job done but they have made one promise after another on when they will be out but then do not show up. We are done with Goslin and want them to refund our deposit money of $*** plus the warranted downspout that has never been fixed for the cost they charged us to put it in of $*** and the underground drainpipe that they recently damaged - this cost to be determined by our new concrete company. Once we know what that cost will be we will let Goslin know and expect reimbursement for the damage they caused.

01/22/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

A crack in cement work done last year. Have contacted them numerous times since ***** this year. after promising to come look at it no response.
Crack in cement that was laid last year. After numerous times trying to get a response, I regretfully need some help.

I just want it fixed before it causes other problems.

Contact Name and Title: ***********, owner
Contact Email: *********************
We would like to sincerely apologize to Mr. And Mrs. ****** for not taking care of the crack earlier. The ******* have always been good customers. We have had some personal and medical issues this year. By the time we got to their home, Mr. ****** had sealed the crack.

We understand hardships. The crack is not repaired, just filled. It is now cracking in a new place by the original crack. It needs to be replaced, not repaired to just get by. We paid for the work that was done with no quibbling. We expect it to be right, not doctored. Last check made out to Goslin was ***************. It was ***** when we noticed the crack and began calling Goslin, leaving messages and getting no reply, or getting assurances they would get to us.

Cracking is a normal occurance in concrete. We do not guarantee concrete against cracking. As a gesture of good faith, we will seal a crack for a customer. We will not replace concrete due to cracking. We would be happy to revisit the ******** project in the spring when the weather permits.

No, not really, to the best of our knowledge, no one there mentioned that their concrete work would not be guaranteed. Water will get through the cracks and underneath making the same thing happen that was wrong with it before we had it replaced.

02/03/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Driveway replacement damaged adjacent existing concrete in a garage and patio. Contractor has failed to provide a solution per warranty.
The newly installed driveway heaved 2+ inches during the winter after its installation in late Summer/early Fall **** significantly cracking 5 of 16 large concrete panels. The rains of Spring **** revealed puddling of water where the patio and drive abut. This was the beginning of new cracking to the existing concrete in a garage abutting the new driveway as well as the aforementioned patio. The contractor's initial response was that the puddling was not part of the problem. He filled the cracks and extended the warranty until he could better determine the cause of the problem. The Winter of ******* resulted in additional heaving and additional damage to the garage and patio. The contractor was informed and provided photographic evidence. His solution was to have us pay for additional work - specifically re-pour the concrete of the patio. A civil engineer was contacted for an opinion. The Contractor said "we'll do whatever the engineer recommends". The engineer recommended either replacing the damaged panels and correcting the water flow pattern underneath or install proper drainage in the existing. The engineer provided detailed written instructions which were sent to the contractor. The contractor absolved himself of responsibility by stating his job was a 'simple' driveway replacement. The contractor was reminded the driveway project was not a replacement, rather an expansion of the previous driveway. Initial discussions with the contractor included proper driveway design and consideration of water flow - given the scope of the new and larger driveway. During these discussions the contractor assured us his foreman was an expert and would design the drive properly. During the ensuing conversations with the contractor regarding the problems and warranty, it was clear the contractor was not aware of the exact execution of the finished product - inferring inadequate supervision of the project.

We need to have the improperly installed sections of the driveway replaced and the water flow problems under the concrete and on the surface of the concrete be corrected to avoid further damage to our home.

Good evening to all concerned,

Goslin contracting installed a new driveway for Mr.& Mrs. ********** in the fall of ****. The initial conversations were about expanding the driveway to allow for Mr. ************ car to be parked so that his wife's car could traverse in and out of the garage without his car being an obstacle. No discussions were had about subterranean water problems. We were contacted in the spring of **** about three cracks on the south end of the driveway. We ground the cracks and sealed them. The cracks are well within industry standards for concrete driveways. The cracks have not opened any further. The seals still held during the frigid winter of ***********. The driveway is expanding and contracting at normal rates for the midwest climate. We made an offer to replace the concrete patio and garage floor at the same time as the new driveway. Mr. ********** didn't feel it was necessary. The heave / thaw of the new driveway will not crack the garage or patio. It may chip or "pop" the edges. This has not happened. No mention of doing "what ever the engineer advised" for free was ever stated. No drawings were ever submitted by the engineer. Goslin Contracting has requested these drawings. We have repaired driveways with heave / thaw problems in the past. These new driveways have been very succesful. They were done according to engineers plans. As a contractor we do our best to solve all known problems before or during an installation. The heave / thaw problem of Mr. and Mrs. ************ driveway wasn't known to us or the customer before installation of the new driveway. We offerd a new patio and garage floor at cost, but this solution was rejected. Our standard warranty is one year. We sealed the driveway panels and they have held for almost two years, even after a tremendously cold winter. If all three areas were poured at the same time they would have heaved and thawed at the same levels. Proper supervision was executed by a seasoned foreman of 25+ years of concrete experience. The water does have correct flow on the surface of the driveway.
In conclusion: Goslin Contracting did install a driveway that meets or exceeds all initial customer and industry standards. It hasn't caused any damage to the failing older garage or patio. They have simply met the end of their functional use the same way the cracked and failing driveway did.

n summary, both the engineer and a second concrete contractor we contacted for an additional opinion have recommended the same remedy to resolve the problem. Both agreed that the cracked and heaving panels should be removed, the ground underneath excavated properly to correct the slope of the concrete surfaces and the grades of the earth below those sections, and the cement re-poured. Further, we insist it is the contractor's responsibility to correct the access issue to the *** water valve in compliance with City code. It is our opinion these recommendations are the responsibility of the contractor under the warranty.

In response to the **** more info received from consumer:
1. The consumer agrees with us. The driveway was NOT significantly cracked. There are four small settling cracks that were repaired at the customer's request. All work is guaranteed. The customer's assumption of a certain guarantee is very vague. We have gone above and beyond most guarantees in the industry.
2. Once again the consumer agrees with us. We would ask the consumer consider the cause of the heaving; heaving is caused by subterranean water. The cracks have stayed sealed for longer than any warranty in the industry.
3. In reference to the story we told Mr. **********, the replacement of the garage floor was in conjuction with a new driveway. We give our customers the opportunity to pour all adjoining concrete surfaces at the same time. Had all three surfaces been poured at the same time we would not be having this discussion.
4. Once again the customer agrees with the contractor. Heave/thaw problem is a vertical problem. Chipping and popping are a horizontal problem. We would be happy to review the pictures. A curb edge could not be installed because there is no standard distance for a curb edge from a masonry box. We offered to install a concrete tire stop (similar to one you would find at a strip mall). This tire stop would have been custom installed for the customer's current vehicle with additional space for snow removal. Once again, our foreman on this job has over 25 years of experience and is a third generation concrete finisher.
5. We have not received any engineer stamped drawings. Please send these drawings to the BBB and to us. Any correspondence in that email also shows that an engineer was not consulted before a standard driveway was installed. We do not have an engineer's credentials or ever claim to have engineer's credentials.
6. We offered a new patio at cost to help alleviate the customer's concerns. We apologize if there was a miscommunication about replacing a garage floor and patio for $***.
7. We stand behind our original comment. If all three areas were poured at the same time, they would have heaved and thawed at the same levels. Furthermore, the patio and driveway would have had the same base and the same mix of concrete from the ********* plant. The consumer's logic about repouring all the areas that abutt the driveway has some flaws. The foundation is a vertical surface, not a horizontal surface as is the driveway patio and garage floor. We did mention the large brick flower box does hold water and is in need of repair. Just this summer, the consumer asked us for a name of our mason to repair his flower box. It is our opinion that this flower box is beyond its useful purpose.
Any response to replacing a city street when replacing a consumer's driveway is leaning towards absurdity.
8. Please see #7. There is no pooling on the driveway. We would be happy to review a second concrete contractor's written report. Otherwise, this is just heresay. As to the engineer's report, the under-driveway water was not known to be a concern until after the driveway was poured. In response to the *** shut off valve, there is some minor slag on top of the access port to the shut off valve. This is very common. I offered to fix it for the consumer to try and appease him.
In summary, the *** shut off valve is accessible. Again, we have not received any specific stamped and certified engineer's report that recommends removing and replacing the cracked panels on this specific project. We acknowledge receipt of a general design recommendation for a municipal road plan. If we would have designed Mr. ************ driveway in this manner, his driveway would have been commensurate with a municipal roadway. We ask the consumer to explain how our warranty covers such a high level of reengineering. In conclusion, we believe we have done everything we can to please this consumer. If the consumer is still unhappy with our response, then we would ask for arbitration at that time.

We would like to make clear that the bottom line for us is we spent $********* to have our driveway replaced and expanded. There was no heaving of the original driveway, the heaving and related subsequent damage has occurred only after the new driveway was finished. The driveway was significantly cracked within months of being poured because of heaving secondary to ineffective water management design. We were informed at the time of the bid that "all work is guaranteed" and understood the guarantee meant exactly that.

In summary, both the engineer and a second concrete contractor we contacted for an additional opinion have recommended the cracked and heaving panels should be removed, the ground underneath excavated properly to correct the grade of the earth below those sections, and the cement re-poured with proper water escape paths. Neither professional recommended replacing the patio or garage floor, despite having been informed of the recommendation by the hired contractor. Further, we insist it is the contractor's responsibility to correct the access issue to the *** water valve in compliance with the ***** City Code. It is our understanding the corrections of these issues are the responsibility of the contractor under the stated warranty.

11/03/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

************ and her husband came to my home on ************ to give me and estimate on some work that needed to be done on my home which she informed me that would total $********. **** informed me that she required half down in order to begin and the remainder of the balance when the work was completed. Two days later I gave **** the a cashier's check of the required half down payment which was $******** that was cashed on the same day that it was given to her. **** informed me that she would begin on my home on *********** but never began. From ************ until ************** I have constantly contacted her about starting the process on my home. The total times I put forth the effort to contact **** was 9 times. **** never contact me so I had to call her to see what was going on. Every time I spoke with **** she would tell me she would be out the following week to begin and she would never show. On ************** I contacted **** because she was supposed to have been out to my home the previous day. **** stated that her dog was hit by a car and she had to pick it up from the Vet and that she would be out on ************** to start working on my home. At that point I informed **** that if I did not see any progress made on my house that I wanted a refund. On ************** at 4:30pm I contacted **** and left her a voicemail stating that I just wanted a refund because she had not shown up and had been giving me the run around since ***********. Instead of calling me back **** sent me a text message stating that she would be out tomorrow on **************. I than texted her back and informed her that I did not want her to work on my home and I wanted my refund. I stated to **** through text that she was doing bad business and that is not the way we do business and I wanted a full refund and I asked her when I would be able to pick up my check and that I have been very patient but she never responded back.
Product_Or_Service: Down payment on work that was not done

Full refund of the $******** that I gave ****

We gave ******** ****** a cashier's check for $******** on **********. *********** gave ******** a personal apology for not communicating better with ********.

11/03/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Company is unprofessional, unprepared, has poor finishings and has not completed a 3 week job that is now in week 9.
We hired *********** and Goslin Contracting to tear down a wall in between our living room and dining room, build one wall in our basement to section off for a nonconforming bedroom, and also to build a full bathroom in our basement. He estimated the time of the job at 3 weeks. When hired, he stated he would have crews of men working in our home and our home would be his priority job until complete. He called himself a craftsman, and said attention to detail was important to him. Unfortunately this man is more of a salesman that anything else. He did bring 2 men in to work on our floor and to assist in tearing down a wall. He did bring in an electrician to do the wiring but this was a "buddy of his" from highschool who left many things unfinished for 2 weeks. **** spends more time talking that he does working. It got to the point that we would have to feel as though we were ignoring him while he was on the job site in order for him to get any work done. He missed several deadlines, made promises he did not keep, and told blatent lies which we figured out based on the differences in what he and his wife told us. **** and *********** work together and there were several days where there were no workers at our home. Several days that **** would speak loudly and disrespectfully to his wife. Times when he did not know we could hear him the he would make negarive comments under his breath. **** makes excuse after excuse about why he was not on the job. Usually the excuse was that he was at the shop and getting the trucks ready and would be on his way. There were weeks when there was a total of 6.5 hours that we have documented that were spent on our home and 5 total days where we saw no workers at our home at all. Yesterday ended week 9 of what was suppose to be a 3 week project. We understand that projects go over timelines and are reasonable people, but **** is simply not prepared. He makes multiple runs, almost daily to get supplies and tools at the hardware store. When we would see no workers at our home by noon we would call and they would say they were on their way, only to still no arrive at 2pm or later. After being 6 weeks over the estimated timeline, we made ourselves clear that because of our family circumstances this job absolutely needed to be complete by ********. His wife assured us there would be workers at our home on Friday ******** to complete the project. The night prior, I phoned **** to let him know that we had done our share of the work to paint the bathroom so that he could set the vanity and toilet, hang the shower door and towel rods and complete some other finishing work. **** responded by saying his wife had not given him the message that this job needed to be finished by the ****. (Remember, this is 6 weeks past estimated completion time) There had been approx 12 hours spent at our home this week. **** became unprofessional on the phone and stated it was too late to divert his workers to come to my home the following day. I asked why there would have been any reason that his workers would have been scheduled to go anywhere else and reminded him that our project is not complete and we still did not have a functioning bathroom. **** became loud on the phone, talking over me whenever I attempted to speak. That night via phone I told him we could find someone else to finish the project, that we had documented all his work time and nonwork time, taken photos to show lack of progress, and asked him to send the final invoice. 30 minutes later we recieved an email, phone call and text message saying that he could have a crew at our home the following day to complete the project. By 10am the next day no workers had showed up. We phoned **** who stated "We are at the shop unloading trucks and will be on our way." Nobody showed up at our home until 2:05 PM and it was not a crew of men, it was only **** and ****. The job is still not complete, and our sink and toilet are now leaking.

We have discussed this at length and due to his lack of professionalism and lack of respect toward us, and because we are about to have a new baby in this home this week, we do not want this man or his company back in our home. We have been more than patient and given the company an additional 6 weeks to finish this job, just to watch them never make it their priority. We have emailed to tell him so but as of now have not heard back. Our sink and toilet are now leaking, and because he mismeasured, we have no shower door. We will be hiring someone else to fix Goslin's mistakes. Because we have a strict budget for this job, we must plan to deduct the amounts/funds that we have spent or will have to spend out of our own pockets from the final amount that we would have paid **** Goslin for a finished product.

Dear *** and ******** ******,
When a contractor estimates a job they don't know what is behind the walls in terms of electrical, plumbing, etc. We don't know the customer's routine, experience and/or temperments. There were many frustrating situations on this job. We have listed a few of these situations here. We would like to settle this matter in an amicable way.
On three different occasions we asked for a punchlist. Had we received an accurate punchlist the job would have been done in a more timely manner. We completed all of the items that were on these lists. You continued to ask for more work that was not included on our part of the contract.
On several occasions we showed you the products we were using and you approved them. Then within hours or days one of you two would change what you wanted. One of the first changes that comes to mind is the floor. Not only had *** approved the floor, but he was there during the construction of the floor. ******** said, "My husband knows what I like". We went through great lengths to adding custom color to please you. We informed them that once the poly/clear coat was applied it is extremely difficult to change the floor. It is an industsrial coating meant to last for many years. After the floor was finished, ******** called crying saying that she didn't like it. This was the start of many changes. I was very professional in dealing with you. I was very calm and quiet in dealing with you on the phone. A couple days later you even gave me the compliment that I reminded you of your ******. He is also your ******, as I later found out. I was a bit insulted when you said that the floor looked unfinished. Everyone else, including your husband, was extremely proud of how the floor looked. I dismissed the insult due to your high emotions. I felt the stress of *********************************** may be clouding your judgement.
The second change that comes to mind was when you asked the electrician to raise the lights to accomodate for a larger mirror. He explained that that was against code, but if you agreed to use LED bulbs he felt that it would pass electrical code. The very next morning, *** informed us that you didn't like the style of lights. These lights had been on the jobsite since the first week of the job. You had ample time to approve or diaapprove the lights. This is very disrespectful of our time and professionalism. You made it sound as if the electrician was just a buddy of mine. He is a licensed electrician. This is very frustrating for a contractor. Everybody on your job has a minimum of 20 years of experience in each of their respective fields.
If your sink and toilet were leaking you should have called me right away. I would have been happy to come over and fix them, even on a holiday weekend. You had a plumber look over our plumbing work and he thought that it was fine.
We had an appointment with the two of you on Friday, ******** at 4pm. ******** came home at 3:30pm and *** came home approximately 4pm. Neither one of you came downstairs to meet with us at the agreed time of 4pm. At 4:30pm you finally came downstairs, beer in hand, and we discussed the remaining items that needed to be finished. All four of us agreed on what needed to be finished. **** came on Tuesday, ********, to finish some of the items. At that time, she told you that we could be there on Friday to finish everything if you have finished your painting. You did not call us until Thursday, ******** at 10pm. Once again, it is very disrespectful calling us after hours. I am sorry if you felt that I was loud with you, but you were very demanding in what you wanted and tried to force me into making a promise that I could not make at that time. After reviewing my schedule at 10:30 at night, we proceeded to contact you in one last attempt to please you. We were supposed to meet you on ******** to finish the job and receive a check. Please review your texts. The last meeting we had, on Friday the ****, it was our understanding that we were meeting that evening to discuss the bill, the overages and get a payment. Only to find out that you had already made reservations at a local restaurant. Without going into your personal business too much, is it appropriate to go to a restaurant that requires reservations if you don't have enough money to remodel your house and you needed a gift from your parents to do this project?
Someone was on the jobsite every day that we said we would be there. As a contractor we try to balance our time between all of our responsibilities. We did not start another job until after we had completed your job. There are two last items I would like to review. You sent an email on a Friday afternoon and expected us to respond to it over a holiday weekend. We did not receive your email until Tuesday morning, the next business day. Please be patient with us in the future. You made it sound like we regularly arrived at your home at 2pm. This is not the case. The last week we weren't there because we were waiting for the grout to cure.
The way **** talks to me is the way he talks to everyone in the construction business. He may sound gruff and loud, but we do have a solid Christian relationship.
The last thing I would like to say is that before I received this complaint through BBB, I had suggested that we all sit down with your ******. This is when I found out that your ****** is also your ******. I am requesting one of three conclusions: 1) We will settle this account for $****, or 2) we can sit down with your ******/******, or 3) we use the professional arbitration of the BBB.
**** and **** ******

Business Response /* (****, 12, 2014/10/23) */
From: goslinrepairs@aol.com (mailto:goslinrepairs@aol.com)
Sent: Thursday, **************** 9:37 AM
To: ***********
Subject: Re: ****** Complaint

Good morning *****,
This is good to hear. We would ask the consumer to provide a completion form and a lien release. These documents are usually with the loan paperwork. We will sign them when we receive final payment. We will provide a receipt of payment when we receive payment.

Here is the amount that the ******'s owe:

$***** remaining balance of invoice
$ ***** Second floor coating we did on dance room floor
$ **** Extra electrical work requested by homeowner
---------------------------------------------------
Subtotal owed: $*****
- **** Shower door--mutually agreed upon
----------------------------------------------------
Total owed: $*****

We would ask that the customer provide receipts for the items they bought for their project. We would subtract these items from the total owed.

********************

Here is the amount that the ******** owe:

$***** remaining balance of invoice
$ ***** Second floor coating we did on dance room floor
$ **** Extra electrical work requested by homeowner
---------------------------------------------------
Subtotal owed: $*****
- **** Shower door--mutually agreed upon
----------------------------------------------------
Total owed: $*****

We would ask the consumer to provide the completion form, lien release, and we will sign themreceipt that shows bill paid in full.

********************

Concrete Contractors, Interior Finishing, Contractor - Flat Roof, Patio Design, Kitchen Remodeling, Contractors - Retaining Wall, Landscape Contractors, Windows - Installation & Service, Contractor - Tile Roofing, Contractor - Remodel & Repair, Basement - Contractors, Fire & Smoke & Water Clean Up, Property Management, Windows - Repairing, Driveway Installation, Paving & Repair, Roofing Contractors, Deck Builder, Construction & Remodeling Services, Bathroom Remodeling, Gutters & Downspouts, Contractors - Gutters, Kitchen & Bath Design, Lawn Maintenance, Home Improvements, Real Estate, Doors - Installation, Commercial Roofing, Contractor - Metal Roofing, Snow Removal Service, Hail Repair, Snow Removal Service - Roof, Ground Maintenance, Deck - Repair, Landscape Designers, Kitchen & Bath - Design & Remodeling, Fire & Water Damage Restoration, Contractors - General, Fire Damage Restoration, Real Estate Services, Doors - Repair, Home Improvements - Additions, Driveway Preparation, Patio & Deck Builders