BBB Accredited Business since 02/19/2007

Merchants Credit Adjusters, Inc.

29 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 4 closed in last 12 months

08/29/2014Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

They call here weekly for 4 1/2 years looking for ****** ********. I have her old phone number so please find ****** ************* newest phone #.
Merchant Credit @************ calls here several times a week for the past 4 1/2 years with a recording looking for ****** ********. I have actually gotten hold of live callers and told them that I am NOT ****** ********. I don't know her, I only have her old phone number so please find ****** ********** newest phone number. Our 4 1/2 years with this phone number has been absolute **** and inconvenience.

For them to stop calling here for ****** ********.
We should not be getting harrassed for someone else's non-payment of her bills. We NEED them to stop harassing us

Mr *****,

I have blocked your number of ************ fron our dialing system. I apologize for any inconvenience we have caused you.

You indicated that you have been receiving calls for another person for 4 1/2 years. We did not receive the file containing your phone number until ****************. But Merchants Credit Adjusters will no longer call the number.

07/29/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I first started getting calls from this company weeks ago. When I am not hung up on, I was told they are a customer service company.
I first started getting calls from this company weeks ago. I do no normally answer calls from unknown numbers and while I am at work. I called the number back after several missed calls in a short amount of time. I was immediately asked for my phone number, this company called me. The lady was **** when I told her I was not going to give her my number and told me that I was being uncooperative and she is not allowed to release private information. I wanted to know who it is calling me several times a day, not leaving a message for a call back. She told her the company does several things like customer service. Again, what do they do? I ended up getting hung up on. Since then the same number continues to call, I had to look the number up on here to find what the company is. I have not even received anything via mail. I have called the number back and answered the phone several times and every single time, I am getting hung up on before I can find out any information. Any further contact needs to be done via mail. I have no clue why I am getting contacted and if I will not answer the phone to be asked for personal information and not know what this is concerning. Again, any further contact needs to be done via mail.

Send me what you are contacting me for. I am receiving phone calls and being hung up continiously. You are a collection agency according to this website, and I was told you do customer service the one time I was able to talk to someone on the phone. She was **** and ************* and still I got hung up on. You call more than 3 times a day most days and hang up when I answer or call back. If it is a collection issue, send me an itemized statement in the mail!

********,

I am sorry you had a bad experience when you contacted Merchants Credit Adjusters, Inc. I understand why you are not comfortable when asked for personal information. Our collection industry is guided by many state and federal laws.

These regulation stress that we must be certain we are speaking with the correct party when we disclose information regarding an individuals debt.

This identification process can not be skipped.

An itemized statement of your accounts has been mailed to your address. I have blocked the phone numbers on the accounts in our offic for you and MCA will not be making calls on these accounts.

If you wish to discuss your accounts, you may reach me direct at ************. I will still need to verify your identity at that time.

***********

Thank you for your response, but it is not just when I contacted you it was when you contacted me as well. I may have been more inclined to give personal information had I not been told that your company does alot of stuff like "customer service". I understand you need to make sure who you are talking to is the right person but your rep did not have to be so ****.

Im sure with all the state and federal regulations you must follow, having adequate phone systems must be one of them. This is the most concerning as how do you expect to get ahold of anyone or anyone get ahold of you.

I will be looking for the statement in the mail. Thank you for taking my number off the list, I will have your number stored should I need to disguss anything.

06/05/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Collection information submitted to Credit Reporting Agencies by Merchant Credit Adjusters has not been properly verified with the service provider.
Merchant Credit Adjusters continues to report 12 unpaid medical bills dating back to **** on my credit report. I contacted the medical services provider and was told that they have no record of these bills. These bills were settled through collaboration with a representative in the billing department for the medical service provider. The representative assured me that he would send updates to Merchant Credit Adjusters.

After reviewing my credit report on ************ I disputed all of the bills listed under Merchant Credit Adjusters. Within a little over 24 hours, one of the credit reporting agencies sent the results from the dispute which stated that Merchant Credit Adjusters had verified that the information reported was fact correct. I was simply amazed that all of the information could be verified within such a short timeframe and and that I could receive the results on Sunday, ************. Per the instructions on the dispute results report, I sent written correspondence to Merchant Credit Adjusters requesting verification for each item listed on the report. The address that Merchant Credit Adjusters has provided to the credit reporting agencies is incorrect in that my correspondence was returned "Undeliverable".

Conclusion: It is very clear to me that Merchant Credit Ajdusters has challenges in reporting correct information on my credit report, especially since they have challenges in reporting correct information about their company.

Merchants Credit Adjusters should immediately remove all information from my credit reports with all 3 credit reporting agencies.

Ms. *******,

This complaint seems to be in the same vein as the complaint you made earlier to the CFPB. I have included our response below.

Please read the section where I have included our client telephone numbers. I know you have called them previously. But did you inform the persons you spoke with the dates of service of the items in question. Due to the age of the accounts, they may not be readily available to the person(s) you spoke with.

If you have any further questions, please contact me direct at ************.

***** *****

**:The hospital and I worked out payment arrangements and settled the debt. However Merchant's Credit Adjusters, **********, has continued to report these items as being unpaid. I spoke with the hospital 's Credit. Further Merchant's Credit filed civil suit against me for paid accounts.

MCA Response: The ************************* accounts were not paid. Our client, *************************, provided Ms. ******* an **% discount for charity care on her accounts on *************. They have not received a payment on their three accounts listed here at Merchants Credit Adjusters after that reduction was made. Merchants Credit Adjusters, Inc obtains approval from our clients prior to filing suit. It was on those authorized and approved balances that Merchants Credit Adjusters, Inc. included in the law suit with the authorization of our clients.

Acct # Date of Service Original Acct Balance Balance After Reduction *Current (********)
*********** ******** $******** $****** $******

********** ******** $****** $****** $******

********** ******** $****** $****** $******

*Does not include court cost of $******

**: Desired resolution:
All outstanding balances reported by Merchant's Credit Adjusters , **********should be immediately removed from all 3 credit reporting agencies. Further, I think all collection agencies need to be monitored more closely. They are notorious for keeping inacurate records. And, they can never provide original contractual information to prove the validity of the debts they are attempting to collect.

MCA Response : Merchants Credit Adjusters, Inc has not reported the **************** accounts in question here to the Credit Bureaus since *************. The ********************* (DOS: **********); *************c (DOS:**********); ********************** (DOS: **********) and ************************* (DOS: **********) we have not reported since ************* due to the age of the accounts.
Merchants Credit Adjusters, Inc. does not file suits on any account without express permission of our client on an individual account basis.

I have listed our clients' telephone numbers for you Ms. ******* so you may call and verify the balances. It will be important that you provide the dates of service to them due to age of the accounts. I have attached a listing of balances we still show outstanding.

************************* ************
********************** ************
************** ************
************************* ************
************* ************
********************* ************

Merchant Credit Adjusters is reporting information regarding these accouts on my credit report. The credit reporting agency is reporting the information as verified and correct because it is their position that the information from the creditor/collection agency is correct. Therefore, it is not my responsibility to verify informtion that has already been deemed to be verified by the creditor/colletion agency and the credit reporting agnecy.

Therefore, it is Merchant Credit Adjuster's responsibility to verify that they are passing on correct information to the credit reporting agencies as this information affects my creditworthiness adversely or otherwise.

03/25/2014Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Numerous unsolicited phone calls received from the number ************ to my work number (************).
I have received over 50 calls in the last two weeks from Merchants Credit Adjusters, Inc. to my work number at the ****************** - often 2 or more calls per day. These are unsolicited calls. Only one time did I speak with someone who was looking for **** ********, who no longer works with the ******************. (In fact, I explained on ********** that she sadly passed away at the end of ************.)

Merchants Credit Adjusters, Inc. needs to take my work number (************) off their contact list so that the ****************** receives no further contact from them.

Dear Ms. ****;

I have taken the steps necessary to block/prevent phone calls be generated to ************.

We had previously attempted to block the number but were not successful. For this error I apologize.

If you are aware of any secondary number that may roll over to the ************ number please give me a call at ************ and will block those numbers as well.

02/14/2014Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

I asked for written documents via mail about this debt and I have not received anything in the mail.
In the 1st week in ******* I asked for written documents about the debt. I never recieved anything the 2nd week in ******* I recieved 2-3 call about payment when I asked where is the documents I was suppose to receive in the mail the respone from a rep named ***** was we dont control the mail. The 3rd week in ******* ***** called again and I asked to speak to her Sup which she denied me at first until I continued to ask,spoke to her Sup came to an agreement. The 4th week in ******* I received 2-3 calls from them when I answered no one was on the line. Today ****** ***** calls me at my place of employment harrassing me about the debt. I do not want to be contacted by phone from this company again. The agent ***** is rude and has no customer service skills at all. In the future if contact is needed they should do it via email. I feel like I am being harrassed by the company MCA over a debt that is over 9yrs old. I am paying what I can afford at this time.

To stop calling my home phone and work phone. I feel the agent ***** needs to go through customer service training again or let go.

Ms ******:

I am ***** *****, the Compliance Director here at Merchants Credit Adjusters, Inc. I have reviewed your accounts listed here at MCA and listened to the calls of your conversations with my agents.

I am in agreement with you that the tone of speech ***** used was in appropriate. She did come across as rude and not helpful. I have reminded her personally during a training seminar, that while our duty to our clients is to collect the money owed to them by their customers; we are to treat those customer with dignity and respect.

It is MCA'a policy that if a caller ask for a supervisor or manager, that call is to be transferred to the manager or a message taken. I have reiterated that message to our entire staff.

I have ordered a list of all accounts we have listed for you here. You should be receiving the letter in the next day or so. If you do not receive the letter, please contact me directly at ************.

I have blocked your phone numbers from being called by my agent. If a new account should be placed by one of our clients, you may receive a phone call regarding that account.

As of today you had four accounts listed with us. Two were listed in **** and two listed in September ****. All four have a balance remaining. As stated before we will not make phone calls in regards to the four accounts, but the balances of each is still owed to our client.

If you have any further questions or concerns, you may contact me directly at ************.

05/02/2016Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

Consistent harassment
Merchant credit adjusters consistently filing suits over debts that I am not part of then filing judgments with courts. Will also be filing complaint with federal credit reporting agency.

Remove any judgements placed and negative items I am not responsible for.

Dear Mr. ********,

The suits in question were in connection to medical services provided to ********************. Our information is that you and Ms. ******** are husband and wife.

Merchants Credit Adjusters, Inc. has intructed the credit bureaus that we reported information to, to remove all items. This instruction included all of our consumers.

This deletion request will not include any items the bureaus display from public records.

04/25/2016Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

The company Merchants Credit Adjusters, Inc is billing me for services that were paid in full 11 years ago.
I would like to complain about Merchant Credit Adjusters They keep putting false information on my credit report. I have health insurance and i always have. The Hospital that the company is reporting that I have an account with has no record of me owing a bill. They also said it was impossible for them to go back that far. I then called ***************** to see if I had any past due accounts they didn't cover, they said I don't. I also verified I was covered in **** and I've been covered since ****.I then called MCA back and told them what the hospital and ******** told me. I also asked MCA for a copy of the original bill they said they didn't have one to send me. These accounts are false and I am sick of agencies reporting falsely on my credit report. Please correct this matter immediately.

Acct # *******, *******,*******.

I would like MCA to immediately remove the 3 accounts # *******, *******,******* that are reported to on my credit. I would also like some sort of action taken against this company for repeatedly putting false accounts onto my credit report.

Dear Ms. ******:

I have reviewed the complaint you placed with the BBB. Merchants Credit Adjusters, Inc. has not reported any of the three accounts listed in you complaint to a credit bureau since ***************. In addition to that, MCA has requested all accounts that we had reported to credit bureaus be deleted. This took place ***********.

If one of the accounts is still appearing on your bureau as being reported by MCA I apologize for that, if this is the case please call me at ************* so that I may investigate why that account reporting has not been deleted.

Bear in mind I can only control what MCA had reported. If he information was obtained as a public record I can not effect that report.

************

11/02/2015Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

I moved addresses from a clinic, was never billed the final bill. Was sent to collections. This was paid in full.
On *************, Merchant Credit Adjusters reported to TransUnion an amount I owed of $*** from *******************. ******* never billed me to my address, and instead just reported to MCA. On ***************** MCA reported another hit to my TransUnion of $***. Whatever I owed was paid completely in full.

I would like Merchant Credit Adjusters to clear everything from the credit bureaus.

Dear Ms. ****,

I have reviewed the accounts that were placed with our company for collections. We had received two accounts from ******************* for $******. The dates of service were ******** and ***********. Our records reflect that both accounts were paid in full on ************. We reported the accounts as paid in full to the credit reporting agencies on *************.

I will put in the request to have the items deleted from your Transunion report as you state you moved and did not receive a billing notice from our client.

I am not certain how quickly Transunion will act on the account, but the request for deletion will be submitted by **********.

************

Thank you for acting on this. Will the same be done to Experian/Equifax if necessary?

08/24/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I returned a saxophone bought on approval on ******* and returned it *******.I have not received my money ($*******despite verbal promise from owner.
Purchase was a ************** Sax.Sent back *** Tracking****************** I have never received a refund of $*******Purchased on approval ****** Retuned *******. I have previously spent about #********* on 3 saxophones from ***** ***** of *************.

ADDITIONAL DETAILS:
Case is being handled by another organization: **********

Refund of $*******

We are unable to locate an account in our office for Mr ***** with information provided.

Is he certain his account has been placed to MCA out of ******** for collections.

In reading his complaint, I am not aware of a musical instrument company we serve.

04/13/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I would like to complain, yet again, about Merchant Credit Adjusters in *********. They keep putting false information on my credit report. I have health insurance and the supposed Hospital that the company is reporting that I have an account with has no record of myself owing a bill. When I asked the company of where these bills took place I was informed that I was seen at a hospital and at a pediatricians office for that matter. I am ** years old and have not seen a pediatrician for quite some time and to ass to this, they also reported to me that I was seen in a city i have not lived in for well over a year. This accounts are false and I am sick of agencies reporting falsely. Please correct this matter immediately.

I would like the collections that are reported to my credit report removed immediately.I would also like some sort of action taken against this company for repeatedly putting false accounts onto my credit report.

Dear Ms. ********:

As you state in your complaint you are not aware of the charges and state they are false. I have started the process to have the accounts deleted from you credit record. Our clients stated the pediatric charges were for a ****** and an *****. If you are not aware of these children you may have been a victim of identity theft and may want to take measures to protect yourself if someone else is using your information to obtain care.

Also in response to your complaint I have mailed copies of the itemization statements that our clients have provided for us. I have mailed the items as they contain private information.

Our collection efforts have ceased on these accounts. We will also notify our clients of the possible identity theft concerns.

In the future,when you call a provider to inquiry if an account exist, make certain to inform the service representative the account may be collections. Many of our clients utilize a separate accounting system once an account is placed in collections.

If you have any further questions please call me direct at ************.

Collection Agencies, Billing Service