|Return to search results|
|Home Remodeling & Construction|
|If you are undertaking a home remodeling project, the Bureau reminds you to check the following: |
NEBRASKA: If the work is being done in the Metro Omaha Area you can check with the Department of Labor to see if the company is registered with the city at 402-595-3095.
IOWA: If the work is being done in the Southwestern Iowa area then you will need to call 515-281-6175 or visit www.iowaworkforce/labor.
Check with the Building Services in Sioux Falls to make sure that they are licensed. If you take out a permit for any residential construction or remodeling and the contractor is not licensed, the consumer is informed of the consequences of hiring a non-licensed contractor. If a dispute arises that must be settled in the court systems, the consumer is sighted for hiring a contractor who is not licensed.
FOR ALL STATES:
1. Get all verbal agreements in writing.
2. Read the contract over before signing and make sure there is a completion date.
3. The contract should have a thorough description of what work is to be done along with the cost breakdown for materials and labor.
4. Make sure the contractor's name, address and phone are present on the contract.
5. Make sure the contract includes clauses on the following: permits, lien protection, and warranties.
6. Check out if the company will hire sub-contractors to do some of the work. If so, check them out as well.
7. All warranties or guarantees should be in WRITING.
8. Check and see if there will be any sub-contractors used for the job. Will the warranties be through them?
9. Check to see if the contractor has liability insurance and workman's compensation insurance. Obtain a copy of their proof of insurance.
10. Finally, don't be rushed into signing a completion form for the job until you have inspected it thoroughly. We have the following pamphlets available:
Tips on Home Improvements
Tips on Home Siding and Re-Siding
Tips on Roof Repairs, Replacement & Coatings