Complaint Category: None of the Above - Customer Service Complaint Issue
Complaint: The movers of the company lost our items, they were loaded on the truck but never unloaded at our new home. They refuse 2 admit they lost our stuff.
The container held memories of my parents & grandparents. Their pictures, newspaper clippings, pictures, personal items, letters to me, items you cannot replace. They sent someone from their office named ***** to search our entire home to see if we were telling the truth. I cried as he went through out belongings. My husband stayed with him the entire time. He went through every box in our garage. Went back and told a lie. He said our garage was packed from floor to ceiling from front to back & that he couldn't get to every box. That was a lie on his part, our garage never looked like that and he was able to go through all the boxes just fine. There reply each time was, "Once you clean out your garage you'll find your box." We'll it's all cleaned out and no box and no planter with flowers which was also missing. They finalized and closed our case today. Even though they broke antiques and ruined the glass on our coffee table by leaving it cracked in more than one place. If you run your hand over it you can cause your fingers to bleed. They torn off a light fixture and marked up 7 walls plus took huge chucks of wood out of our furniture. They did send someone out who fixed these items. My husband went back to our old place the very next morning and there was nothing left behind. The key to our Secretary from back in the 1930's was in that plastic container, we can't get in it nor lock in now. We asked them to pay for a locksmith to make a key, the refused. I believe one to the men moving us stole the container and the plant with flowers. I would never recommend this company to anyone for movers. They ***'t care anything about you and your missing items. They talk rude, act like it's your fault. I would never want any of our friends to use them for moving. They ***'t stand behind there words.
Initial Business Response
Contact Name and Title: *********** Office Manage
Contact Phone: XXX-XXX-XXXX
Contact Email: *****@onthemovetn.com
We have handled her claim based on the level of valuation coverage she chose on the day of the move. It is part of our claim procedure to ask the crew members about specific situations. We have asked all of our employees about the items that are "missing" and no one knows anything about them. If someone did they would have informed us of any information. As far as the trucks, in a conversation that we had via telephone with Mrs. *********** she told me that she physically witnessed the back of both trucks being swept out, so she knew that nothing was left on the back of the trucks. If something had been found, we would have returned the item(s) to her.
We have gone above normal claim procedure by attempting to repair the coffee table, repairing the couch, and sending a crew member back out to her home to search for the missing items. So yes we have done our part in trying to help locate the container. In no way did we go out to see if the ************ were "telling the truth" as Mrs. *********** states. This was our way in trying to help locate the container for her. She has told me that she just recently had back surgery and is just now barely able to walk, but in the next breath she has searched high and low. We are not refusing to admit the items are lost I have put the items on the claims form which I will attach for your review as well as our claims letter to them.
On the Move: Moving & Storage, INC sent out one of the crew men, *****, out on Thursday October 3rd at 3 pm for one and half hours to search for the container that has been misplaced. ***** went through the garage as best he could. When he arrived she was crying hysterically and she informed ***** was praying because her husband had a new job. Mrs. *********** inquired to ***** "What do you think, what was the other ***** person's name do you think he took it because the other one got a fishing pole?" Items have already been moved in to attic, which we are not allowed to enter due to liability. (If the attic is a finished attic we can enter.) He checked the crawl space in the bonus room, under beds, and other areas of home. Basically husband was informing him that he has gone through everything, and also he was in agreement with ***** that they would find the missing box somewhere. Garage was heavily loaded with boxes. I, *****, made the mistake of saying floor to ceiling front to back, but you would not be able to get a car in the garage stated by *****. I also have confirmation from the repair man informing us of the cluttered garage and that it was still heavily packed when he was out on Monday October 14th.
Statements from our crew about the move date. Day of the move the garage was floor to ceiling front to back. During move day, Mrs. *********** only specified about one box being of extreme importance was her china which was located and shown to her on moving day. Both customers witnessed our crews folding pads and sweeping out the back of the truck, hence no items left on our trucks. The stairwell that was damaged was repaired as well as the light fixture. Our crew members explained to the customers the risks in moving the couch upstairs on more than one occasion and we had objections to moving the couch back downstairs, which was released on our release of liability- "unique and unsafe moving circumstances". When the husband arrived to the house, he told our crew members that it was the wrong couch. Mrs. *********** told them the first couch was the correct one. Upon Mr. *********** informing us to remove that couch, is when the damage occurred. All items were inspected when entered the home by the customers and no complaints, they never saw cracked glass on coffee table.
Final Consumer Response
(The consumer indicated he/she DID NOT accept the response from the business.)
Being of sound mind do not accept the response given by the company "On the Move". What is so disturbing is the lack of "truth" in what was written. One person be it *********** or ***** is being untruthful throughout the response and are not to be trusted.
1. I never said I saw the trucks swept out are the blankets folded. This never happened on my part.
2. We didn't take the time to check the cabs for stolen items, never dreamed any of the men would steal from us.
3. They couldn't repair the coffee table back to it's original form. The coffee table weights a lot more than any 40 pounds, it has a thick beveled glass top with long scratches you can feel on top. We just purchased the coffee table and end tables this year being 2013.
4. Never, ever, did I say I had back surgery. I hurt my back, found it hard to walk, but if I sat down I could still unpack items. This statement was a lie, plain and simple by ************
5. When ***** arrived at our home we had just received some wonderful news, in doing so I had just finished praying & praising God for his goodness which had lead me to tears of joy. This is where another lie from ***** and ***** comes in as they stated I was crying hysterically. Please *****, have you not told enough lies as is.
6. My husband and I both watched ***** go through our entire attic. Two of us saw ***** do this, ***** lied if he told you he didn't go though the attic.
7. Due to the back problems it slowed down the process of unpacking the boxes. ***** closed out our case even after we found a heavy green glass vase broken. A antique clear glass candy jar, large with a big circle lid. 12 pounds easy. Vase another 8 pounds.
8. The movers didn't take the boxes to the rooms but left them in the garage instead. Boxes were marked as to which room to be carried and they did not do their job.
9.***** never explained to me or my husband anything concerning the move of the couches. My husband explained before the move where they were to go. They got the chairs correct along with one small couch. They, the workers moved the wrong couch to the wrong room. This was all their fault, not ours. That's when they tore out the light fixture and marked up five walls that had to be repainted.
10. Our two neighbors that live across the street from us could see right in our garage. One is a policeman for Mt. Juliet. The other I sat down with to get advice as what to do about the theft of our items and which police department to file with. He is Deputy for the Sheriffs department of Lebanon.
11. The key to the old Secretary is taped to the top of the missing container, without this key you cannot unlock the desk. None of the keys from Lowes or Home Depot work. The desk was built back in 1920 or 1930, it needs a special old key to open it. The least they could do, which I asked was send out a locksmith to make a key for the desk since they misplaced a rather large container or one of the men stole it.
12. It's best to never assume something nor to believe one employee's words without checking with the owner's who have four ears and four eyes.
13. I found remarks made even in the emails sent by *********** to be rude. ***** and ***** to lie and not get their facts correct. Someone stole the container and plant, you cannot misplace something that large.
14. I do not recommend any customer to use the company "On the Move" located on Wheeler St. in La Vergne, TN. I have already spoken with a police officer in La Vergne and been advised what to do next.
15. To see this happen to anyone, to be put through such an ordeal, to have people tell lies about what happened. No, this is wrong and I hope no one ever uses this company ever for moving.
Final Business Response
We have responded to her complaints the first time. Now she is making allegations about our company and employees that are not true. We are not going to respond to those things. If she feels this way then she needs to go through the legal process versus the BBB. We have completed her claims process based on the valuation coverage she signed. They signed for $1.25 per pound with a $250 deductible. All weights are based through the American Moving & Storage Association guide (AMSA), they offer a depreciated guide for all furniture. We have gone above and beyond normal procedure trying to help the ***********' as much we could within reason. We have sent out an employee to help search the home, we have repaired the couch and walls that were damaged. The container that is being complained about was PBO (packed by owner), those contents are unknown to us. We do not know what is in each individual box. The individual items such as vases- would have been packed by owner. We categorize those items based on the size carton (box), they would have been packed. We are apologetic that the items were damaged and (allegedly) misplaced.
Complaint Resolution: BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.