BBB Accredited Business since 06/20/2003

Merrell Home Improvements

6 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 1 closed in last 12 months

06/08/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Lack of contact from company. Failure to Complete Work in time agreed upon. Product not made to specifications. Continuous apologies.
It all started in February 2015 I met a salesman from Merrell Home Improvement at a home show and we chose to have our back porch enclosed with the screen room product they were showing. From that point the contact was great, that day a representative called to schedule an estimate. The salesman arrived and did what he does, measured things, made drawings, etc... He left that night to go back and start the paperwork and said he would call us that following Monday with information about financing. We received no call, we actually waited until Wednesday to call them. It took nearly two weeks to get the financing issue resolved and we still never heard back from the salesman.
Well then the parts problems started. I will admit that I failed to recall the contract part that stated work would begin 6-8 weeks after financing had been approved. So they ordered the parts once we informed them we have the money to pay for the work. I called several times to find out the status, I was told they would call me back and never did, I had to call them back. Finally the day comes that they are going to start work, Monday the 4th of May. I get a call that they are running late and they don't show up until nearly 12 noon. Two men show up on with a trailer full of stuff and the one starts to take measurements to verify the blueprint drawing provided. He realizes that they don't have enough parts so he has to go back to the shop. I then get a call that the manufacturer/ distributer messed up and sent the parts in the wrong color and they were going to have to wait until Wednesday for a truck to come and I am informed that it doesn't always come on time and they might be back out on Thursday. Thursday comes and they show back up to start work and remove a portion of my deck to start installing. Somewhere in the middle of tearing my deck apart someone checks the measurements again and realizes that the parts that were sent were cut too short for them to complete the job. They have to go back to the shop and call the manufacturer and get it corrected. I get a call from the manufacturer with all kinds of apologies and they tell me they are going to do the best to expedite the parts and possibly have them here by Monday the 11th. It is now Wednesday the 13th of May and I have received no calls from Merrell to keep me informed about the status, I had to call them once again and once again all I get is apology after apology after apology. In an attempt to pacify my wife and I for this two day job turning into two weeks they tried to offer us a gift certificate to a restaurant, not discount the price, discount the installation fee's nothing. I will never recommend this company to anyone I know for anything.
Once I get home I will be reviewing my contract to see about cancelling the whole thing.

I would like a reduction in the price of the product or the installation. Something other than a measily gift certifcate to a steak house.

The work was finally completed and ****** from Merrell Home Improvments came to our home several times to ensure it was done to our specifications. I will admit that Merrell was not responsible for the delays since they are not the manufacturer nor the distributor. However there could have been better preparation such as accurate measurements and inventory of materials prior to beginning the work.
Merrell did everything within their ability to complete the work as quickly as possible once they had everything required. They were very accommodating despite the issues that were beyond their control.

08/29/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

There were missing and broken parts for the new windows they installed in my home. Three months of me calling them has not resolved the issue.
I purchased new windows for my home, to include installation, through Merrell Home Improvement, Clarksville, TN. When they installed the windows in May 2014, there were some broken and missing window parts. Merrill stated they would order the parts And have them installed within two weeks. Three months later the windows have still not been fixed. Every time I call them their answers include: the part order was over looked; the parts are here but we need a special tool to install them; we are waiting for the special tool; or simply "we'll call you right back" and then not retuning my calls. Sales rep name is **** who works from the Merrell Clarksville, TN office.

I want the missing and broken parts replaced and installed.

We have contacted the manufacture several times for the correct replacement parts for the homeowners windows. The manufacture could not provide the tools needed to fix the windows. We have contacted the manufacture and re-ordered the complete units for the homeowners. As soon as the units come in, we will replace the entire window unit, instead of repairing the windows.

08/07/2014Problems with Product / Service
03/22/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

We are not happy with the quality of work performed. We are not happy with the timeliness to complete this project. Lack of communication.
ern
TOPIC: MERRILL HOME IMPROVEMENT PROJECT **** **** ****
We would like to share a summary of the overall experience we have had dealing with Merrill Home Improvement while they have remodeled and added on to our home. We have had approx. 1850 sq ft remodeled and 890 sq ft of new addition(24x24) added to one end of the home.
Merrell began by demoing the existing home to remove trim, cabinets, floorcovering, toilets, etc. and prepare to drywall the existing paneling walls. Items to be saved for later install where stored in an existing detached 2 car garage. The new addition was started next. We asked for production schedules from day 1 which we never received. Merrill did not have a full time super on the job. He would come by from time to time to check on the work. We never received any written updates on the job. Communication on this job was very poor to say the least. In most cases the super would never call us back. Due to lack of communication between the super and his men, ***** was visiting the job site daily to answer questions. She also made several trips to Lowes to pick up needed items for the men.
The overall workmanship on this job was poor. From drywall, to brick work, trim work and even daily clean up lacked quality work. The job site dumpster(when it finally got there), on most days was running over with trash.
We hardly felt like the customer on this job. Merrell would make decision to do certain items the way they wanted, not the way we wanted. Some of these include the mantle, trusses, beams and bulkhead, water heater, lay out of the master suite addition, re-installing the existing trim, installing windows and trim before painting, lack of lighting, incorrect plumbing in master shower, and lack of written change order to the contract.
The overall scheduling of the job completion and the availability made to us to be able to move into a completed home was very poor. Merrell was notified on July 21st to pull off the home interior until August 10th, to allow us to finish the painting and install floorcovering(nothing said about them not working outside yet nothing was done). The plumbing and electrical subs were to be scheduled for this week and I was told it would take 2 days to complete. Merrill was made know that we were closing on our existing home on August 20th and would need to be moved by August 22nd. We had our furniture picked up on August 19th and stored since the house still had a lot of work to do and we did not want our furniture covered in dust. The plumber showed up on Saturday the 15th at noon, worked for about 3 hours and said would be back Tuesday. **** informed me via text they would be back on Sunday. They came on Tuesday. So from the night of August 19th until the end of August, when our furniture was delivered, we slept on the floor. Merrell was given a punch list on 8-24, to be completed by 8-27, this list of items was hardly touched.
We had a meeting with Merrill's sales guy, **** ***** , on September 1st to go over our concerns and discuss the amount of the final payment. We expressed our concerns with all the issues and poor workmanship. We expected to get a list from **** with adds and deducts from the contract, that he had promised for months, but he did not have it ready. We offered Merrill $5,000 as final payment and **** refused this payment. As of today we still do not have Merrells'
list but have completed our list.

9-19-15
TO: ******* HOME IMPROVEMENTS
ATTN: **** ****** ****** *******
TOPIC: WORK TO BE COMPLETED AT **** **** RD-*****
The following list is items that we would like to be completed / addressed
1. Lighting and plugs in the upstairs bathroom, as previously discussed
2. Exterior flood lights on new addition, as previously discussed
3. Repair outlets that do not work inside and out, as previously discussed
4. Add additional light over the kitchen sink, can lights do not provide ample lighting of the sink area when dark outside. We were guaranteed that this would be sufficient lighting, therefore we should not incur any additional fees for this work. We will provide lighting fixture.
5. Properly vent the new roof , as previously discussed. We can provide ******* with a written estimate from another contractor if necessary.
6. Add drainage pipe to gutters on new addition, and bury, to divert rain water away from house as backfill dirt was not enough to eliminate this issue.
7. Verify that standing water in front of house at transition of old to new is not a leak or improper draining. This is not caused from dew running off of roof as previously discussed
8. Install addition ceiling light at top of stairs in hall, as previously discussed
9. Repair the dent in the exterior door to bonus room, as previously discussed
10. Pressure wash the brick to remove the mortar residue from window install
11. Finish caulking exterior windows and fill large gaps between siding, eves and brick around windows
12. Finish exterior clean up in particular cigarette butts
13. Issue warranty and lien release , any other legal paperwork as deemed necessary
14. Provide us with a copy of the adds and deletes worksheet, blue print as well as a copy of the additional work.
15. All electrical and plumbing repairs to be completed by the third sub-contractor on the main job, **** ***** ******* will have to work out those details with ***** He is the only sub that we will allow into our home.
16. Microwave vent is not properly vented, there is no vent running to outside of house.

There is a substantial amount of sub-standard workmanship in the drywall throughout that has been provided by your sub-contractor, and your failure to hold him accountable. This is not a surprise to either of you. i.e. no follow up on job by job Superintendent. This is the area in which we have the most concern and unsure on how to remedy this problem and not destroy our home any more than has been done.
** New issue occurring now ** The master bath ceiling over the shower is beginning to show signs of moisture and certain areas the drywall is beginning to waffle, a ripple effect. You can also clearly see the moisture on the ceiling in front of and behind the vent that was installed in front of the shower. This moisture runs all along the top of the bathroom ceiling to the exit door opening. When opening the toilet room door, you immediately feel a moisture draft from opening the door.

Having all of that said, at this time we have decided that it is in our best interest to get an estimate from an outside contractor for repairs.
Final payment amount to be determined based on timeliness and 100% completion of this list, and documents requested. Please give us a start and completion date based on this list.

Our company has completed the work that was agreed to in the contract. The construction as well as electrical, plumbing and framing was inspected and approved by the Codes Department. This project was a major remodel and included additions.
We worked diligently with the homeowners throughout the construction process. A Final balance of $36,202.00 is due and has not been paid as of 12/29/2015.
On 08/09/2015 the homeowner submitted several punch list items that were addressed. When the list was completed we sent a cleaning crew on two separate occasions to thoroughly clean all areas of the home.
On 10/02/2015 the homeowner submitted a second substantial list of deductions and credits. We replied with items that were not agreed to, and requested the homeowner supply receipts for the additional items they wanted deducted from the balance they owe.
As of 12/29/2015 we still have not received copies of the receipts we requested from the homeowner.
The homeowner wants to pay a final balance of $7,836.67 when they owe us $36,202.

The work performed by the contractor was not completed per contract. The work that was performed was sub-standard. During the supposed punch list repair, the guy that was sent sat in his truck and slept. We have problems with the electrical, plumbing, drywall and carpentry that needs correcting or repaired and the contractor refuses to return. We have gotten quotes from additional contractors to complete the required work. The sum of these quotes far exceeds the balance of the contract. For this reason we refuse to pay any more additional moneys to said contractor. We are very disappointed in how Merrell Home improvement ran our job, the supervision of subs and the productivity of the men on the job. We have a large bay size window that is cracked and needs to be replaced under warranty but of coarse no response.

The Homeowner refuses to provide us available dates and times for any concerns they may have. We believe the Homeowner will not pay us regardless of their satisfaction. We can schedule a meeting for the Homeowners and the business owner to address any concerns in our office for the week of February 8th.

We, the homeowner, will not be able to meet the week of February 8th. We are still gathering quotes from qualified contractors to complete the work that Merrell has promised in the contract and correct the sub-standard work they did provide. We are also dealing with warranty issues they refuse to correct, ie broken window and drywall cracks. We now have a structural issue where the new addition and old section meets causing cracking in the walls. We do not have a date at this time when a meeting can be held to discuss all these issues. We hope to have all the information available by the end of February.

09/22/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Will not return phone calls. I talk to a receptionist then she saids someone will call me back. Failure to deliver product.
Failure to return ph. calls. Supposely a replacement unit for a joyce sunroom has been ordered. I paid a deposit of 183.00. 4-5 week delivery. Check was 6/13 They are the only ***** sunroom affiliate in TN so I had to use them. Terrible customer service from the start till now, the process started in May. The receptionist has always been nice and I can tell frustrated, she saids someone will call me back and they never do. The person I eventually got in touch with and came out to do the measurements was **** and he came out 6/13. We are in the process of selling our house and failure to get the window unit fixed has been frustrating and a hindrance in showing our house.

get the job done and possible a discount on the cost of replacing the unit.

We apologize for the frustration of our homeowners. We have ordered a unit for replacement, however the manufacture sent us a incompatible window. We have ordered a new window and will install the correct unit when it is delivered. I have provided the homeowner with a letter ensuring that we will complete the work for the sale of their home.

04/15/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

This complaint spans a number of areas, from failing to follow their code of ethics, failing to complete the project on time and smoking in my home.
I signed the contract for a 10'x12' sunroom addition on September 27th 2013. The project was to be completed in 6-8 weeks and we are now about to hit the 6 month mark and the project is not complete. I contacted the owener in reference to completing the work or canceling on March 4th and was guaranteed the project would be finished within the next 7 days. It is now March 19th and the project is not complete. The Merrell Home Improvement Code of Ethics has not been followed at all. It talks about customer satisfaction above all, but I have had to continuously ask for project oversight and ask jsut to get people to show up and work. They claim to clean the job site daily, but I had to have the owner come out at one point to address the amount of garbage on the site which was removed, but there has not been consistent monitoring and there is now more garbage everywhere. We have gone from ****** to ****** and now to ** and I could not speculate as to who our foreman supposedly is. The code talks about yard sign promotions and yet someone just stuck a sign in our yard, assuming we wouldn't mind. I see commercials offering military discounts and HVAC upgrades for additions, yet everyone in that office knows I am in the military and that was never offered. It is also
something that I would never have asked for as it is something that is done more out of courtesy and respect(also in the code of ethics). Our yard is unusable and has been an eyesore since the fence and deck were removed in November. The last straw was coming home to a house that reeked of cigarette smoke and ultimately catching the contractors smoking inside of our new room. Particularly in a home where we are both non-smokers and my wife is pregnant, this is disgusting and unacceptable.

Refund and end the contract and I will find a reliable contractor to finish the job properly.

In regards to the complaints filed by the ****** Family,

We apologize for the time constraints on the homeowners Addition projects. Our team is very disappointed with the homeowners' complaint. The contract was written in expectations of having a 4-8 week period, which is often prolonged in our industry depending on the scope of the project and circumstances outside of our control, however there is no term for completion on the contract Mr. ****** signed. Our contract states additional terms and conditions, which reads "that time is not of the essence in this contract" ,"Acts of God, inability to obtain materials or tools, inclement weather- shall not breach or forfeiture the contract."
When securing the proper permits for the project Merrell Home Improvements was notified that we would not be able to build the addition for the property due to the septic tank placement, our representative then pursued the State's health department for soil samples and amendments- this was a time constraint.
After approving the site, the middle TN area experienced several rain systems, followed by freezing weather. Following are quotes form our labor bills- 1-09-2014: " ice is too thick to bust, sent concrete truck back to plant" " Pumped water from foundation" "Hand scooped water from foundation" No true progress was able to be completed on the project until February when the weather was somewhat cooperative.
We have on file labor bills that show progress on the job weekly/daily. We have been communicating with Mr. ****** through email on the progress of the project for updates and scheduling as he stated he didn't receive many messages left for him on his cell. The Cheatam county inspector only inspects on Tuesday and Thursday, and we had an inspection scheduled, then canceled by the inspector. The ******* were also not available for dates that we had Electricians scheduled and we were not notified until the evening prior at 10 pm.
Our company highly respects our homeowner and his services and commitment to our country, and though we did not offer him a military discount we have provided many upgrades and showed lenience with the homeowner on payment. On 3/5/14 an email was sent to Mr. ****** stating "weather permitting we would complete his project 5-10 business days", "if the ground is dry we would do the dirt work", and also offered a" free no cost 10x12 deck" for the delay of completion on his project whereas he would have only received steps from the room. The ****** family was also upgraded from standard electrical covers, and switches, that was their choice, and we found that was agreeable for again the timeliness of the project. Our agreement for payment has not been followed by the ******* which as the contract was agreed to states: 1/3 payment on contract signing, 1/3 payment at project "dry in", and final 1/3 payment on completion. We have not received our second payment on the project and have not pursued payment again due to time constraints. When Mr. ****** was given a time period for a 5-10 business day completion, he selected special order flooring and agreed to waiting period of 10 days for arrival. We also special ordered the siding to match the home which was also a time constraint.
Our company was deeply disappointed in the misconduct of the sub contractor who was found smoking in the home, we immediately took disciplinary action on the employee, as well as repainted the homeowners addition.
In closing I would like to apologize for the time constraint on the homeowners' project, we have provided many courtesies and upgrades for the length of time it has taken to complete the project, and we will pursue payment in full when the project is complete. However, we hope the homeowners are truly happy with end result of their project, we will still honor all warranties and our overall goal is a quality product.

I am actually quite surprised and could not be more disappointed with the response from Merrell Home Improvement. After a number or e-mails(which I have records of), phone and personal conversations where they expressed their apologies and assurance that our experience was not normal, their first point is to try and marginalize the situation and state that what happened is typical. If this was a typical experience, the organization would be out of business. The time to complete the project is embarrassing, but that is just a part of the problem. Since there was an emphasis on this I will start with the fact that in the response they agreed that there was a 4-8 week period to start the project that was not followed. Not having much experience with construction contracts I can admit that it was a mistake on our end to sign a contract without a completion date on it and a statement that says, "Time is not of the essence." Unfortunately Merrell Home improvement truly takes that to heart and took 6 months to build a sunroom to the point of being somewhat usable. The 4-8 week period was more than acceptable and would have put us into November with a completion date in December, possibly January at the latest. Using the weather and everything else as an excuse is ridiculous as I have friends in Clarksville that have had entire homes built in the time it has taken to work on this sunroom. I can trace communication problems with Merrell back to e-mails in October when I was asking why I had not been getting any updates. We finally got the deck and fence removed in November, but then no work was started until January, making our yard unusable for months. We were told that the issue involved the sales representative not passing along the proper information to the scheduling representative and nothing was started until I personally walked into the office to express my disgust. Ironically, the office assistant stated that she had assumed the project was almost complete at that point and did not realize it had not been started. How does that happen? I can agree that there were some weather setbacks and the septic concern that limited the project completion by a few days, not months. Also, some of these are self inflicted, as the weather was great when the project was supposed to be completed and oddly enough, it gets cold it January and February. So, I can certainly understand a few days due to weather, but when no one is working for a week or more at a time and there is no communication as to why, then there is a problem. None of the issues identified in Merrell's response delayed the project for more than a few days and I am sure the labor bills and gaps within those labor bills will accurately reflect that. I also have all e-mail traffic which reflects our begging for information and complaints about lack of communication. I was even promised, "I will contact you every morning with the schedule and let you, or your wife know what time we will be there, or if we will not be there." That did not happen. Their next point is that the Cheatham County inspector delayed them, which is true that the inspection was delayed, but that was one aspect of a complex project. Instead of working on the deck, the fence, the siding, the dirt work, etc... they just didn't show up for 10 days while waiting on this inspection. The next point they claim is that we were not available for the electrician, when we told them the night prior not to send the electrician as we were fed up with this contract and that I was filing the original complaint. They sent the electrician anyway. Then they agree that we were told on March 5th that the project would be complete in 5-10 days, "weather permitting," by email and over the phone, ****** ******* guaranteed it in 7. So, they are agreeing that they did not keep that promise and there was no delay due to weather during that time. The next statement involves the ground being dry for the dirt work, which is pretty irrelevant and should have been done well before then anyway. Then they try to make it seem like they did a huge favor with the deck. I can go back to e-mails in October when I was begging to get someone out to discuss the deck and I was ignored. The contract also states we would have had a 4'x3' landing with stairs and they basically upgraded that to 10'x12'. Their response is inaccurate saying we would have only had steps, and obviously they knew there were a number of mistakes on their end or this would not have been done. We were not upgraded the electrical covers and outlets, as I simply asked for the outlets that matched the rest of the house and would have done them myself if I needed to. Additionally, we were significantly under the allotted costs for the lighting and flooring, which more than covers the cost of the covers and outlets and make that argument insignificant. The flooring and siding are terrible excuses to try and justify their delay. Yes the siding was ordered, but they knew about the siding when the contract was signed. It is in the contract to match the siding and it didn't change between when we signed the contract and when they finally decided to order it. The flooring was also ordered. It came in within 3 days and sat in the room for a week before they began installation. They stated the room was going to be completed in 5-10 days and it was not, regardless of the number of excuses. Part of that timeline failure was that there was 1 person working by himself for a majority of those 10 days. I can appreciate the disciplinary action for the employee smoking in our home, but that doesn't make it any better. I also don't think he was the one doing most of the smoking in there, he just happened to be who got caught. We also asked ** about the repainting and were told it was painted again because he saw streaks, not because of the smoking complaint. Needless to say, I can't stand being lied to. The last issue they address is the 1/3 payment timeline. I know of no one that would pay this company another dime at the rate and manner they do business. How would I even know when they are at "dry-in" when there is no foreman overseeing the project and no one keeping us informed? I also would never know when they are truly complete as they consistently go days and weeks with no communication or work being performed. We have gone from ****** to ******, back to ******, then to ****** saying he was overseeing everything, then to ** overseeing the project, but no true foreman or communication. This violates the Merrell Home Improvement Code of Ethics, which clearly isn't worth more than the paper it is printed on. I have pictures and e-mails supporting that they have failed to follow any tenet of their Code of Ethics (outside of the warranty), which essentially makes them an unethical business. You can walk through the backyard and still come across the garbage that they left everywhere, which is another tenet in their code of ethics and has been addressed numerous times. I don't need to go in depth on the Military discount and yard sign promotions that they tried to take advantage of, which are a part of their code. It has been disgusting to work with a company that talks about customer service above all, but yet has none. They have not followed through on any of their timeline or communication promises. They have smoked in a home where a homeowner is pregnant, which is a serious health concern. They are unethical in following their own Code of Ethics, which will require legal interpretation as to whether or not their code is binding. There have been zero courtesies and 1 upgrade, which are not worth what we dealt with. And saying, "We hope the homeowners are truly happy with end result of their project, we will still honor all warranties and our overall goal is a quality product." is embarrassing. As a consumer, I would not wish this experience on anyone and would never recommend this company to anyone.

As of 4/8/2014 the ******'s room addition has been completed. The final inspections for electrical and framing have been completed and approved, as well as the final inspection.
We understand the ******'s frustration. This project was not completed in the expected time frame and there were several unfortunate incidents that occurred that we are truly sorry for. The family now has a fully useable, beautiful addition to their home that they will enjoy for many years to come. The balance due on the addition is $14,000.00