BBB Accredited Business since 01/20/2009

Chiles Propane Gas, LLC

04/18/2014Delivery Issues | Read Complaint Details

I am writing to report unethical behavior.
I'm writing to report a series of instances that engaged unethical practices. First and most recently, they refused to sell me anymore propane. They informed me that I had not been paying enough, when I had been paying one hundred dollars a month, and at no time had they informed me that this was not enough, nor had they ever informed me of any minimum amount that I should have been paying. If they were engaged in ethical conduct, they would have provided me with a minimum amount due on my monthly statement. Instead of attempting to strong arm me, when I was desperate to obtain additional propane to keep my family warm. Second, several months ago they refused to deliver to me propane needed on an emergency basis, without me agreeing to an additionally one hundred dollar delivery charge. This amount seems excessive in light of the fact that the driver was on a planned route that permitted them to reach my home within 10 minutes of me calling ****** Propane. Third, they charge five dollars for a statement fee, even though what would cost no more than dollar to mail it to me.

I am seeking a refund of $100.00 for the unreasonable charge of delivery of propane. I am also seeking a refund, or the ridiculous amount of $5.00 just for sending a statement in the mail, when it should not cost them no more than $1.00, if that much.

WE ARE RESPONDING TO MRS. ********'S COMPLAINT ABOUT HER BILL. WE ARE SORRY THAT SHE FEELS THAT OUR COMPANY IS UNETHICAL BUT WE CAN NOT BRING MORE GAS UNTIL HER BALANCE ON $925.70 IS PAID. THIS AMOUNT IS STILL OWED FOR GAS DELIVERED ON 1-9-14 AND 12-12-13. WE HAVE LET HER STAY WARM ALL WINTER WITHOUT DISCONNECTING THE SERVICE WHILE IT WAS COLD OUTSIDE, WHICH IN MY OPINION AN UNETHICAL COMPANY WOULD NOT HAVE DONE. SHE HAS ONLY PAID $300.00 ON HER GAS BILL SINCE HER XX-XX-XX DELIVERY. SHE PAID $100 ON 2-3-14, AT WHICH TIME WE TOLD HER THAT SHE NEEDED TO PAY MORE AND SHE TOLD US THAT SHE WAS "DOING THE BEST THAT SHE CAN DO". SHE PAID $50.00 ON 3-3-13 AND TOLD US THE SAME THING AGAIN. THEN PAID ANOTHER $50.00 ON X-XX-XX AND WANTED MORE GAS. WE ARE A BUSINESS AND CAN NOT KEEP DELIVERING GAS AND NOT BEING PAID PROMPTLY. AS FAR AS THE OUT OF ROUTE CHARGE, WE TOOK HER GAS ON X-XX-XX DURING OUR FALL FILL AND SHE WROTE US A BAD CHECK FOR THE BALANCE ON XX-XX-XX AND THEN CAME IN THE OFFICE ON XX-XX-XX AND PAID WITH A CREDIT CARD AND WAS OUT OF GAS. THE GAS TRUCK WAS NOT ON HER ROUTE AND IT IS OUR POLICY TO CHARGE $100 OUT OF ROUTE FEE TO PULL A TRUCK OFF THE ROUTE AND TAKE GAS TO A CUSTOMER THAT DAY. WE TOLD HER THAT DAY WHAT THE CHARGE WOULD BE AND SHE SAID OK AND PAID THE $100.00 OUT OF ROUTE FEE OVER THE PHONE BEFORE IT WAS DELIVERED.SHE KNEW WHAT THE CHARGES WERE AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN GLAD THAT THE GAS TRUCK ARRIVED PROMPTLY SINCE IT WAS COLD OUTSIDE. OUR CREDIT TERMS ARE 30 DAYS AND THEN WE DISCONNECT SERVICE. SHE GOT GAS ON XX-XX-XX THEN AGAIN ON 1-9-14. THE ACCOUNT WAS NOT 30 DAYS PAST DUE WHEN WE DELIVERED IN JAN. AND THAT IS THE ONLY REASON THAT WE FILLED THE TANK AGAIN. WE DID NOT DISCONNECT THE SERVICE LIKE SOME ********* WOULD HAVE BECAUSE IT WAS SO COLD AND WE WERE TOLD THAT SHE WOULD PAY THE BILL. WE KEPT HER WARM THIS WINTER AND NOW WE NEED PAYMENT IN FULL FOR THE GAS THAT SHE HAS USED. AS FAR AS THE ********* FEE GOES, WE CHARGE ALL OF OUR CUSTOMERS A $5 STATEMENT FEE AND FINANCE CHARGE IF THE ACCOUNT IS NOT PAID IN 30 DAYS.IN ORDER NOT TO RECEIVE THESE CHARGES THE ACCOUNT NEEDS TO BE PAID WITHIN OUR CREDIT TERMS.WE WILL BE MORE THAN GLAD TO BRING MORE GAS WHEN THE ACCOUNT IS PAID IN FULL.